Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I agree but don't believe there's a worry about discussing Ac***'s (per your request) streaming video service. They own the Doc Martin rights in North America and are promoting the fact that they have been and will offer Doc Martin. Their service is completely legit. It's their product, no secret, and they want us to spend that money with them.

I understand the other recommendations however.

I think that what is frustrating for anyone outside the UK is that as soon as they are aired there we will see all sorts of information online about exactly what happened in the episodes. I really don't want to have to avoid all of my favorite sites to wait until they decide to air the episodes here (possibly up to six months). We will miss out on all the chatter about what happened each week. It's like what happened in Downton Abbey last season - so many here heard of the big reveal in the last episode that it really took away the suspense and surprise.

Doctor Who and BBC have got it right - the episodes are shown same day here. Makes SO much more sense for a growing fan base.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    First of all, apologies to Rob!
    marchrand wrote: »
    Why not go with something new?
    Doc Martin - the cologne you don't need a appointment to use.

Ellingham - on call, day or night;);)

I wonder if a line of cologne could be added to the Therapy page with some of the doc's priceless quotes.
    I think I saw a rubber ducky on the shelf, but no aftershave.
    DMfan wrote: »
    Caswell-Massey 1752 After Shave Balm - Fragrance Free

These are all excellent suggestions. (marchrand, I think SusieSagitarius will definitely approve! Good work!; Biffpup (don't know what to say);); DMfan, they do offer Sandalwood, Eucalyptus and Almond. Are you sure the Doc would go with Fragrance Free?)

Here is the list so far:

Ladies...for the aloof, unemotional physician in your life, choose....

1. The Baron
    2. Polo
    3. English Leather
    4. Doc Martin
    5. Rubber ducky;)
    6. Caswell-Massey 1752 After Shave Balm - Fragrance Free
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »

Perfect quote for Bert!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Hi, folks

I know everyone is excited about the airing of DM in the UK in less than a month. But the closer the premiere gets, the more anxious many of us in the US get - because we are not certain when we will be able to see the program. So many sites and processes for viewing have been shut down (or have been complicated with added strictures) by those who have financial interests in doing so. I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that this forum is monitored by those who make the show. I implore you to TAKE ANY DISCUSSION of how you hope to access DM from the states OFFLINE (or PM someone who wants to discuss this). If you do not, it threatens the ability of some/many of us to see the show without weeks or months' delay. Many thanks for your understanding.

Good advice/reminder, statesidefan. Thank you for the nudge.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice/reminder, statesidefan. Thank you for the nudge.

Well I just got Staggered from Netflix and have liked what I've seen so far. Not surprised that MC and PB fell in love over this one. He is adorable. Re: new season: my lips are sealed. Good luck to us all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    These are all excellent suggestions. (marchrand, I think SusieSagitarius will definitely approve! Good work!; Biffpup (don't know what to say);); DMfan, they do offer Sandalwood, Eucalyptus and Almond. Are you sure the Doc would go with Fragrance Free?)

Here is the list so far:

I don't know about any of these, but I guess I know how he smelt when he tried to persuade Mr Porter to preside over his wedding. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Well I just got Staggered from Netflix and have liked what I've seen so far. Not surprised that MC and PB fell in love over this one. He is adorable. Re: new season: my lips are sealed. Good luck to us all.

Oh my god he is with an actress who is later Mrs. Rick in DM ! Somewhat younger but the same actress. "Is this consenting? He loves it!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God it has to do with S&M! What goes about comes about!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad to think that most, if not all, of Series 6 of Doc Martin is just sitting on a shelf, waiting...just waiting. :( (Is it actually sitting on a shelf? I mean, like in a film can?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it, of all the hundreds of pictures I've looked at, I don't think I've ever seen Martin Clunes with a 5 o'clock shadow, nor even an 8am one, either. Interesting.

The things we get to think about!

See these, with a bit of chin stubble.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3170798245645&set=gm.503798333033447&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3170867567378&set=gm.503808676365746&type=1&theater
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Sorry, Last Romantic, I am staying with the Caswell-Massey Fragrance Free. Otherwise, when Doc told Edith that her perfume smelled of cheese, she would have responded:

"Well, your after-shave smells of:

1. "a urogenital remedy" (if Sandalwood)
    2. "a pathogenic decongestant" (if Eucalyptus)
    3. "an anti-hepatotoxic" (if Almond)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you guys know that winged eye tips are really popular now? Not just one line either, but two or three. Louisa is ahead of her time!
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    Sorry, Last Romantic, I am staying with the Caswell-Massey Fragrance Free. Otherwise, when Doc told Edith that her perfume smelled of cheese, she would have responded:

"Well, your after-shave smells of:

1. "a urogenital remedy" (if Sandalwood)
    2. "a pathogenic decongestant" (if Eucalyptus)
    3. "an anti-hepatotoxic" (if Almond)

And can't you see Doc Martin in that scene being boringly agreeable with her:

Martin: "Uhhm, right, yes--just a reminder of a paper I came across the other day--use of Solanum xanthocarpum as an antihepatoxic...
    Edith: Against?
    Martin: Antitubercular drug-induced hepatopathy.
    Edith: I see.
    Martin: Hhm..yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think that what is frustrating for anyone outside the UK is that as soon as they are aired there we will see all sorts of information online about exactly what happened in the episodes. I really don't want to have to avoid all of my favorite sites to wait until they decide to air the episodes here (possibly up to six months). We will miss out on all the chatter about what happened each week. It's like what happened in Downton Abbey last season - so many here heard of the big reveal in the last episode that it really took away the suspense and surprise.

Doctor Who and BBC have got it right - the episodes are shown same day here. Makes SO much more sense for a growing fan base.

Exactly, but my point is that thanks to Ac*** (I still don't quite understand why we need to hide the legitimate North American distributor) we can see S6 "within a four week window", which is a grand improvement, for 30 bucks. Things have gotten better. We'll probably have to wait 6 months for the Acorn DVD's though. Or maybe not. They do seem to be trying to speed things up.

Yes, I want to know why Dr. Who can be aired at the same time on the same day on both continents, yet DM and Downtown Abbey still have a lag time. If one can work it out, can't others?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sure hate when I type one thing and something else comes out on the post. Nobody is paying attention but I meant Mrs. Rix
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to Celtic dance class tonight and Kerry said to me "I've been watching Doc Martin!" Well that was swell! We had a great little chat, and since she just had finished S1 I had to keep my mouth shut so as not to spoil anything for her.

The question she posed was, "What IS it about this show that makes it SO watchable and adorable? I think it's because the characters are not perfect, and they act like real people. And the serial staging means you have to watch more! And the characters themselves make you want to watch them."

From the mouths of babes, although Kerry is a mom of 9!?!

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Went to Celtic dance class tonight and Kerry said to me "I've been watching Doc Martin!" Well that was swell! We had a great little chat, and since she just had finished S1 I had to keep my mouth shut so as not to spoil anything for her.

The question she posed was, "What IS it about this show that makes it SO watchable and adorable? I think it's because the characters are not perfect, and they act like real people. And the serial staging means you have to watch more! And the characters themselves make you want to watch them."

Rob

See, everyone?! I'm right about this! Rob's friend just finished series one and she has NINE CHILDREN.

The voice. It's the voice.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, everyone?! I'm right about this! Rob's friend just finished series one and she has NINE CHILDREN.

The voice. It's the voice.

:D:D:D:D And people thought you were just being silly! It's a proven fact now!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree but don't believe there's a worry about discussing Ac***'s (per your request) streaming video service. They own the Doc Martin rights in North America and are promoting the fact that they have been and will offer Doc Martin. Their service is completely legit. It's their product, no secret, and they want us to spend that money with them.

I understand the other recommendations however.

Well, no one has been discussing putting things up on YouTube or doing anything else that TPTB disliked two years ago. I think that lesson was fairly clearly learned.

As Biff says, discussing watching the show on ACORN is completely safe. As for the other way I'll try, I've mentioned it already, also feel it is a valid methodology, but do not need to mention it again. I do recommend others try it, though.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I sure hate when I type one thing and something else comes out on the post. Nobody is paying attention but I meant Mrs. Rix

I noticed it, Mofromco, but figured we all knew what you meant and was just too polite to make a correction. I'll get on the ball if you wish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rob

Indeed, the question we just keep asking ourselves, as well!!

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." --E. B. Browning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, apologies to Rob!

Here is the list so far:

1. The Baron
    2. Polo
    3. English Leather
    4. Doc Martin
    5. Rubber ducky;)
    6. Caswell-Massey 1752 After Shave Balm - Fragrance Free

What marvelous work you all have done on the after shave product! You could all go into marketing. I seriously want this product. And I don't care what it smells like as long as it smells like Doc. :):cool:;)
    Forum Member
    What marvelous work you all have done on the after shave product! You could all go into marketing. I seriously want this product. And I don't care what it smells like as long as it smells like Doc. :):cool:;)

Thank you, SusieSagitarius. A great amount of thought and careful deliberation have gone into the choices made so far. Perhaps you didn't realize that you have inadvertently come up with another great line:

Two attractive women are sitting in Bert's Restaurant

1st woman (she sniffs the air): What is that scent?
    2nd woman (faraway look in her eyes): It smells like Doc...Martin....
    Forum Member
    I would rather be discussing what might be seen come September when DM hits the airwaves. Will the new director carry on with magic of the former ( Ben Bolt directed 32 of 38)? Will Louisa finally marry Martin? Will the new pharmacist (assuming there is one) get a crush on Penhale? Will Buddy ever find true love? Will Aunt Ruth write a book?

Seems to me most members of this forum are in trepidation of if anything will be seen come September!;) I just wanted to say that your "Will Buddy ever find true love?" is absolutely precious and something that I long to know too.
    Forum Member
    The question she posed was, "What IS it about this show that makes it SO watchable and adorable?

Rob

This is the question I was asking when I first came on the forum. Still not sure I have the answer!
This discussion has been closed.