First meeting with Midwife - What happens?

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just over 10 weeks pregnant and I have to go to the hospital at 7pm tonight to meet the midwife for the first time.

I'm really struggling with anxiety and pregnancy sickness, I've been sick and retchy all day so i'm not looking forward to this all all and so scared i'm going to be sick at the hospital:cry:

I'm just wondering what to expect and how long these first appointments are likely to take?

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Your first appointment is usually a booking appointment. The midwife will take your medical history and other details. She will then probably arrange scan and blood test dates. Also check your weight and blood pressure. It really isn't anything to worry about :) good luck and congratulations.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Mine took about an hour. They go through previous pregnancies(if you've had any), medical history etc. I had my bloods taken then but this varies around the country.
    You should get your green book(pregnancy notes and a bounty pack)
    I got a scan letter in the post a few days later.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went with my girlfriend and it's pretty straightforward. She will measure your bump and ask how you're feeling. You'll get some sort of preggers pack which contains info on dates and things
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 31 weeks and had my booking in appointment at 12 weeks.

It was probably my favourite appointment to be honest! It took about an hour and you'll get a bounty pack and your green notes which you'll need to look after and take about with you. The midwife will go through your medical history and that of your partner's. You'll be weighed and have your height recorded and she'll give you info about the hospital, answer any questions you have and wish you well. She'll also request your first scan.

Good luck!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Zenton wrote: »
    I went with my girlfriend and it's pretty straightforward. She will measure your bump and ask how you're feeling. You'll get some sort of preggers pack which contains info on dates and things

They won't measure your bump until at least 28 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Very boring and long lol. Endless questions re lifestyle,family history etc. blood tests,urine sample,weight and height checked. Chat about birthing plan if you have any ideas,which hospital etc.

Congrats :) xx
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenton wrote: »

I didn't have my bump measured until my 24w appt and even then I had to ask as normally it is 28w!
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty unremarkable event. I'd just suggest that here on in you don't develop a dependency on any individual midwife as the odds are against that individual being on duty during your own delivery.