5 Thoughts - Launch Show

Comments

• LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    1.Just as I thought it was safe to stop fast forwarding, On came Bruce :o
    2.Loved Claudia and Tess, very good team will make for a good pacey show:)
    3.Liked Steve, don`t know him very well but seemed lovely:)
    4.Disliked Alison, don`t know her at all but seemed very OTT:confused:
    5.Loved Tim, going to be interesting to watch:p
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    1. Where did this Tristan come from?!
    2. Just how hot is Tristan?!
    3. Tristan is giving me hot flushes.
    4. Tristan's hair is a little "off" but who cares when he's that gorgeous?!
    5. Why have I not heard of Tristan before?!!

He has joined us from DWTS in the States and boy am I pleased he has,,,,goodness me he is hot :blush::D
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    1. Where did this Tristan come from?!
    2. Just how hot is Tristan?!
    3. Tristan is giving me hot flushes.
    4. Tristan's hair is a little "off" but who cares when he's that gorgeous?!
    5. Why have I not heard of Tristan before?!!
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    He has joined us from DWTS in the States and boy am I pleased he has,,,,goodness me he is hot :blush::D

Tristan auditioned at the same time as when Brian and Kristina came on the show I think. Either that or the next year (when we got Jared)....

Just think we could have been having the lovely Tristain for the last 5 years................. :D instead of others...
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    Tristan auditioned at the same time as when Brian and Kristina came on the show I think. Either that or the next year (when we got Jared)....

Just think we could have been having the lovely Tristan for the last 5 years................. :D instead of others...

I believe that Tristan auditioned for strictly the same year as Artem, Robin and Jared 2 years after Kristina and Brian so :-) he is finally on strictly
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artem and Robin picked over Tristan?! The mind boggles....
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Only 5?! :D

1. Excellent launch show
    2. Love the pairings, I got almost every one right! :D
    3. Tim is HILLARIOUS! :D
    4. Judy was terrible in the group dance.
    5. Alison, Frankie, Pixie, Thom and Simon from what I can see were good on the group dance.
    Forum Member
    kp2ni wrote: »
    I believe that Tristan auditioned for strictly the same year as Artem, Robin and Jared 2 years after Kristina and Brian so :-) he is finally on strictly

I'm pleased too! ;-)

What a coincidence though that he (Tristan) was partnered with an Irish lady. :D
    Forum Member
    1. Loved Tess and Claudia together
    2. Shocked that Kevin From Grimsby got another contender and equally shocked that Natalie didn't get a contender but loved her reaction to Tim
    3. Didn't expect to like Mark, but I really did!
    4. So happy for Iveta
    5. Loved the pro dancing and thought Ola and Pasha were great together

Yep, I am sad to see that Natalie hasn't got a contender. :(

But nether the less, Tim would be a joy to work with! :D
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    miaviv wrote: »
    1) Think Simon & Thom for the boys and Pixie and Frankie for the girls are all a bit boring so hopefully they'll liven up on the dancefloor as I'm not excited about them at all yet.
    2) Claudia & Tess were fab, nice touch saying goodbye to Brucie though, he deserved a good send off.
    3) Loved Tim Wannacot too, think he'll do well with Natalie and if they make a sweet partnership are not a complete disaster and he tries really hard, they could be in for a while.
    4) Alison Hammond can dance but she will surely get on my nerves after a while. Her chest fascinates me for all the wrong reasons.
    5) Loved the Charlie's Angels/spy theme for the opening credits. Lots of money seems to have been spent on the launch show and it looked a really slick affair. I'm so excited.

Cheeky 6) Mark Wright was quite sweet. Hate anything like TOWIE and those kind of shows in general but there's something about him that I find quite humble and likeable. Hope he does well.

I was surprised to find myself liking Mark, too (TOWIE prejudice, I admit - never watched it, just heard of it). I thought he had a really pleasant manner and was very charming when partnered with the last remaining girl - Karen. I've no idea whether he was hoping for Karen or not, but the way he described her as "the lovely Karen" was rather sweet, I thought.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised to find myself liking Mark, too (TOWIE prejudice, I admit - never watched it, just heard of it). I thought he had a really pleasant manner and was very charming when partnered with the last remaining girl - Karen. I've no idea whether he was hoping for Karen or not, but the way he described her as "the lovely Karen" was rather sweet, I thought.

Confess I had those prejudices too and found Mark exactly as you say, charming and more mature than I had expected (I know that sounds horribly patronising). Happy to have been proved wrong. He also showed self-knowledge in the way he described the kind of teacher he needed both in the Claud interview and the BBC site mini-interview
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I wouldn't like Mark when he went into I'm a Celeb but he is a really nice guy.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »

5. How is Ola showing her face around the Strictly studios after what her husband has said and done recently?

Should she quit her job because her husband has acted unfavourably on another show?

1) So good to have Strictly back, and it beat X factor in ratings. :)
    2) I'm liking Mark and thought beforehand I wouldn't.
    3) I'm liking the celeb line up a lot.
    4) welcome Tristan, a good addition to the pros.
    5) I liked the launch a lot, don't have favorites yet, it just all looks quite good.
  • rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »

Just think we could have been having the lovely Tristain for the last 5 years................. :D instead of others...

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! :o Don't tell me that!!!!!!! Now I hate the people responsible for hiring dancers on this show - how dare they withhold him from us for this long!?!?!?

Annoyingly, Jennifer seems to have very little rhythm or natural ability, so I have a horrible feeling he could be voted out early :(
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Amused how (imo) Joanne's voice doesn't match how she looks (I can't properly explain this). She sounds really homely like say my 60 odd year old Auntie, but her look would have me thinking she'd sound more like someone else. It's truly no insult on my part, I like it, it confused me. lol.
    2. Liked when Joanne said she was small but mighty.
    3. Liked Joanne's facial expressions during the matching up process, I thought ironically she looked more relaxed than some of the other experienced Pros.
    4. Liked this year's Pro introduction dance segment the best out of recent years (can't really remember ones past 5 years in honesty) and thought all three Pros generally came across well, fractionally liked Tristan more than Trent (mainly on personality).
    5. Love the arrival of Joanne Clifton and glad Natalie Lowe's back.

I loved the show overall. Excited it's back.
  • mct40mct40 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    1. Tristan :)
    2. Aliona >:(
    3. Alison and Alijaz and Tim and Natalie will be fun.
    4. Liked the outfits - looking forward to how they will all be Strictlified this year.
    5. Mark was the lovely chap I thought he would be, but not sure about how he will get along with Karen.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I thought I wouldn't like Mark when he went into I'm a Celeb but he is a really nice guy.

I was indifferent to him, i didnt watch TOWIE or whatever... but in Im a celeb, he was a good guy and cool dude and i liked him, he is lovely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    1. Amused how (imo) Joanne's voice doesn't match how she looks (I can't properly explain this). She sounds really homely like say my 60 odd year old Auntie, but her look would have me thinking she'd sound more like someone else. It's truly no insult on my part, I like it, it confused me. lol.
    2. Liked when Joanne said she was small but mighty.
    3. Liked Joanne's facial expressions during the matching up process, I thought ironically she looked more relaxed than some of the other experienced Pros.
    4. Liked this year's Pro introduction dance segment the best out of recent years (can't really remember ones past 5 years in honesty) and thought all three Pros generally came across well, fractionally liked Tristan more than Trent (mainly on personality).
    5. Love the arrival of Joanne Clifton and glad Natalie Lowe's back.

I loved the show overall. Excited it's back.

Poor Joanne didn't get a namecheck in point 4. :cry::p

I think she's great. What I liked about her pro dance bits is that she wasn't all movement. There were the moments where she just held her position and that looked so much more confident than (sorry to do this) Trent's unceasing gyrations. He looked athletic and show-offy. She looked like a 'proper' dancer :cool:
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Poor Joanne didn't get a namecheck in point 4. :cry::p

I thought I'd come across over obsessed if I mentioned her too often, this way I just look like I have an acceptable appreciation. (:D...hopefully :o:)).
  • guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased Strictly Back

Not liking Simon.... far too up himself

Glad Natalie back

Wondering who will be the comedy act this year, no obvious candidates

Will Gregg become the new Dom Littlewood
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    1. Poor Aliona. Well I feel sorry for her!

2. I LOVE Joanne from Grimsby. Looking at her tweets she is mad but lovely, I think her and Scott will be fantastic entertainment!

3. I really thought Ola would get a dud this year after mouthing off about the show, so very surprised and a bit disappointed that she's been given Steve.

4. I never understood why there was so much interest in Judy Murray doing the show, and I still don't after seeing her in the group dance as she looked rubbish. If she had a less popular pro I think she'd be a strong contender to leave first, but Anton's fanbase will probably prevent that from happening.

5. I didn't expect to like Alison but she seems fun! I think her and Aljaz could be a really interesting pairing!
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Jake Wood has got some moves, and with EE support could be a dark horse
    2. Five serious contenders. Pixie, Caroline, Thom, Jake and Simon, with Frankie also in the frame
    3. Simon Webbe could avoid the anti-black bias of Strictly voters. Why ? He is ex-boy band, notably good looking and most importantly he looks like a very good dancer in the making. Mind you “racist voting” did not stop Alesha or Louis Smith, both mixed race, winning. Colin Jackson (runner up) was also, rather more complicatedly, mixed race, so I guess really good dancers can do well whatever their colour
    4. Aliona and Natalie - someone has to get the duds
    5. Smoky Robinson. Wisely only required to support Imelda May. If he sang alone for any length of time I think we would see that his voice has gone, like Andy Williams a few years ago
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richwood wrote: »
    1. Jake Wood has got some moves, and with EE support could be a dark horse
    2. Five serious contenders. Pixie, Caroline, Thom, Jake and Simon, with Frankie also in the frame
    3. Simon Webbe could avoid the anti-black bias of Strictly voters. Why ? He is ex-boy band, notably good looking and most importantly he looks like a very good dancer in the making. Mind you “racist voting” did not stop Alesha or Louis Smith, both mixed race, winning. Colin Jackson (runner up) was also, rather more complicatedly, mixed race, so I guess really good dancers can do well whatever their colour
    4. Aliona and Natalie - someone has to get the duds
    5. Smoky Robinson. Wisely only required to support Imelda May. If he sang alone for any length of time I think we would see that his voice has gone, like Andy Williams a few years ago

This might be a controversial thing to say and I hope I don't get shouted down and I know Denise has made it to the finals too, but my impresssion is so far to win the actual thing if you're a black contestant you have to be the right shade of black. I hope one day I'm proved wrong and we have a good dancer/personality who is a darker shade of black than the previous black winners.

I also think unless they're really good that ethnic contestants tend to struggle for votes. Sometimes even when they're quite good they struggle for votes eg Spoony, Ray Fearon...
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Great opening dance from all the pro's.
    2. Nice to see Bruce hand over the show.
    3. Not sure who annoys me more- Tess or Claudia.
    4. Sunetra is taller than I thought she was.
    5. I love Tristan's accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    This might be a controversial thing to say and I hope I don't get shouted down and I know Denise has made it to the finals too, but my impresssion is so far to win the actual thing if you're a black contestant you have to be the right shade of black. I hope one day I'm proved wrong and we have a good dancer/personality who is a darker shade of black than the previous black winners.

I also think unless they're really good that ethnic contestants tend to struggle for votes. Sometimes even when they're quite good they struggle for votes eg Spoony, Ray Fearon...

Patrick did really well though, despite being reserved (DS-speak 'dull'), having reduced training hours through work ('just doing the show because he's BBC') and being fifty years old ('duffer'). That combination could've dumped him out of the competition early but he got to the semifinals of a series engineered for a female winner. Being a great dancer and having a good feel for music helped; having Anya helped; being recognised by many as a regular on a popular tv programme helped.

Was being black an issue? I loved the Voodoo QS and appreciated that they took a specifically black Halloween idea. Arguably being black gave his Charleston a more demotic looseness instead of the pert Charlestons we tend to see, though that might just be Patrick. He got misty-eyed for Nat King Cole (mind, I do too and I'm not black). Oh, and this may get me shouted down... People complained about his facial expressions while dancing ('gurning'). Black societies (like black-furred dogs too, incidentally) often have more pronounced facial expressions or signals so as to make emotional meanings clear to an observer. This is a language/body-language thing. Many facial expressions of emotion are direct amygdala to amygdala stuff, so you have to be sure you're being understood.

If I've been offensive, please believe me it'll be me ignorance rather than ill-meaning :D
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Patrick did really well though, despite being reserved (DS-speak 'dull'), having reduced training hours through work ('just doing the show because he's BBC') and being fifty years old ('duffer'). That combination could've dumped him out of the competition early but he got to the semifinals of a series engineered for a female winner. Being a great dancer and having a good feel for music helped; having Anya helped; being recognised by many as a regular on a popular tv programme helped.

Was being black an issue? I loved the Voodoo QS and appreciated that they took a specifically black Halloween idea. Arguably being black gave his Charleston a more demotic looseness instead of the pert Charlestons we tend to see, though that might just be Patrick. He got misty-eyed for Nat King Cole (mind, I do too and I'm not black). Oh, and this may get me shouted down... People complained about his facial expressions while dancing ('gurning'). Black societies (like black-furred dogs too, incidentally) often have more pronounced facial expressions or signals so as to make emotional meanings clear to an observer. This is a language/body-language thing. Many facial expressions of emotion are direct amygdala to amygdala stuff, so you have to be sure you're being understood.

If I've been offensive, please believe me it'll be me ignorance rather than ill-meaning :D

I really liked Patrick - he and Anya have done one of my all time favourite Cha Chas and I often watch it on youtube - I like that bit where he pretends to smack her on the bum..... lol so cheeky :blush:

I think he was a really good contestant and I voted for him on some of the weeks but I do think he was rather favoured by the judges because they really wanted a female winner but they also wanted a male presence in the latter stages of the show - I just think him being a 50 year old black male was seen as the male that was the least threat to the producers' agenda for a female winner. I stress that I really like him, but did he deserve to be second in the swingathon for instance? I think they wanted him in the final but he'd been in the bottom 2 quite a few times so eventually they had to settle for an all female final.