Week 10 ("Around the World" Week) Dances

Comments

• DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy_M wrote: »
    Sunetra has confirmed Rumba on Twitter

Confirmed: Sunetra's gone next weekend...
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Sunetra has confirmed Rumba on Twitter

I get the feeling that Brendan hadn't expected they'd get this far when he made his '...oh, no, we're not doing Rumba this year...' comment then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Brendan thought that Len said they'd be doing the rumba in the following week when he said that. All he meant was they didn't have the rumba then.

I feel sorry for Sunetra. I can imagine she would have done a decent paso or Charleston but the rumba is the toughest of the remaining latins for her.
  • ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    I actually think Sunetra might be quite good at the Rumba. It gives her a chance to be elegant. Still think she's a goner this week. :cry:
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caroline & Pasha - Charleston [possible Turkish theme] (Sunday results show)
    Frankie & Kevin - ? [possible American theme]
    Jake & Janette - Argentine Tango (Sunday results show)
    Mark & Karen - ? [possible English theme]
    Pixie & Trent - ? [possible Spanish theme and Cha Cha Cha]
    Simon & Kristina - ? [Austrian theme, confirmed on Sunday results show]
    Sunetra & Brendan - Rumba [possible Portuguese theme] (Sunetra's Twitter)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand doing an Argentine Tango based on somewhere that isn't Argentina... :S That's before we even get to Zorba...
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I don't understand doing an Argentine Tango based on somewhere that isn't Argentina... :S That's before we even get to Zorba...

Ditto.
    And Zorba the Greek is for Greek dancing not for any kind of tango.
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How mad is it that a lot of the dances actually originate from around the world and yet you can guarantee it's gonna be a week of mismatched themes and weird music.
    Brendan thought that Len said they'd be doing the rumba in the following week when he said that. All he meant was they didn't have the rumba then.

I feel sorry for Sunetra. I can imagine she would have done a decent paso or Charleston but the rumba is the toughest of the remaining latins for her.

She'd have done a GREAT charleston! So unfair that she gets rumba before this. :(

I feel like her and Brendan can pull off the romance angle in ballroom so maybe rumba won't be too awful. This week especially I thought they looked well matched and believable. The ones on strictly always come off as a bit "my heart is breaking... I hate you... I love you... I have to have you" which can be a bit much, but if they go for a softer, romantic one I think it could be quite nice.

Cue "dirty filthy rumba" comments, haha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine that the movements have to be very controlled for Rumba and I can't see Sunetra being able to pull that off. Has Brendan done any nice Rumbas over the years - with a celeb I mean?
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine that the movements have to be very controlled for Rumba and I can't see Sunetra being able to pull that off. Has Brendan done any nice Rumbas over the years - with a celeb I mean?

Sophie's - it was hideously undermarked last year, though.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno about Around the World.
    Some of these ideas are Around the Bend
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the one he did with Sophie was lovely. It had such a nice vibe and felt really believable. Her technique wasn't amazing but her tentativeness made it seem sweeter.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still holding on to the idea Jake's music choice is some poor-taste joke. I can't accept anyone would suggest or agree to Zorba the Greek to dance the AT to. Just no!
  • phoebefairphoebefair Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Sunetra and Brendan are doing a New Zealand haka.
    Rumba style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phoebefair wrote: »
    I believe Sunetra and Brendan are doing a New Zealand haka.
    Rumba style.

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    Sophie's - it was hideously undermarked last year, though.
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    I thought the one he did with Sophie was lovely. It had such a nice vibe and felt really believable. Her technique wasn't amazing but her tentativeness made it seem sweeter.

Thanks. It doesn't stick out in my mind (even though I was a Sophie fan :blush: ). I must revisit it.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it would just be the dance and the "theme" that would be from different countries. For instance, a Spanish Paso Doble with traditional music (not necessarily with Spain in the title), American Smooth by a famous Hollywood star, Samba with traditional Brazillian music, etc.

That would be nice, but doubt it will anything as good as that!
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think Simon will be a waltz and with Austrian theme probably to Edelweiss
    also think Pixie's cha will be cuba not spain
    Frankie prob jive and usa
  • washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Caroline is doing a Turkish Charleston, it may be to Istanbul by They Might Be Giants. Just a thought. :)

Or, the Holly Valance version of this Turkish original (whether it fits the Charleston or not!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhtykXaqBp0

{Also, can any Turkish speakers tell me what he's actually saying at 0.30, and later in the song? All I can hear is 'arses, arses' :blush:)
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I'm still holding on to the idea Jake's music choice is some poor-taste joke. I can't accept anyone would suggest or agree to Zorba the Greek to dance the AT to. Just no!

I'm just hoping he's not dressed in a white toga Greek God costume with laurel wreath crown. :D
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Dunno about Around the World.

I feel I have to share my problem with you all...

I can't keep a straight face when Tess announces "next week, we'll be going around the world"

In the NCIS episode "Guilty Pleasures", a madam is setting up a meeting with a prostitute and instructs her "KB, MOX and half around". McGee, the geek, asks what these mean and is told, in effect, to Google them.

I followed the advice, as I'm also a geek, and now know that "half around" is part (nearer 2/3rds) of "around the world" (look it up for yourself - Urban Dictionary's a good reference for this sort of thing).

The image of Tess going around the world boggles the imagination.

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Trent say something about 'rocking the ballroom vibe' or similar right at the end of the results show? Unless it was a generic reference to the ballroom as a space rather than a dance style, I thought that might mean he and Pixie had ballroom rather than CCC, specially as they've had paso and Charleston the last couple of weeks.

We know Jake, Caroline and Sunetra all have Latin, and we suspect Simon and Mark have ballroom based on potential themes (Simon's had two weeks of Latin so it would make sense for him at least). I would have thought Frankie would be on Latin given her potential theme and two weeks of ballroom prior to this, so that would also make me suspect Pixie has ballroom for a more even split. But hey, we know nothing's certain in SCD these days.

If nothing else, the Around the World theme will probably lead to a few unorthodox bits of choreography. Jake seems at his best with the cheesy music and Janette is bound to go a bit crazy with the moves, so Zorba might actually be fun.
  • lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what has Frankie got do we know yet
  • JDarcyJDarcy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    lewismacf wrote: »
    what has Frankie got do we know yet

I think jive is a pretty good bet but not confirmed
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    I feel I have to share my problem with you all...

I can't keep a straight face when Tess announces "next week, we'll be going around the world"

In the NCIS episode "Guilty Pleasures", a madam is setting up a meeting with a prostitute and instructs her "KB, MOX and half around". McGee, the geek, asks what these mean and is told, in effect, to Google them.

I followed the advice, as I'm also a geek, and now know that "half around" is part (nearer 2/3rds) of "around the world" (look it up for yourself - Urban Dictionary's a good reference for this sort of thing).

The image of Tess going around the world boggles the imagination.

:o

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :D It's quite an image, and I too owe NCIS for it.