Options

Tesco 'gifts for boys' sign removed after girl's complaint

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-30191100

Must be the pinnacle of political correctness surely.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let Toys Be Toys also associated with our newspaper moving friends Child Eyes.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm always divided on things like this. On the one hand, it's a valid point that the toy is suitable for girls as well and we shouldn't reinforce age-old gender stereotypes.

On the other hand I think people are cleverer than many politically-correct activists generally give others credit for - we can realise things like this for ourselves without making a big song, dance and protest over it.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    It doesn't make much sense for a retailer to target boys and make girls feel like they shouldn't play with a certain toy (and vice versa). I would imagine that a little girl or boy seeing their favourite toy labelled as being not for them would feel pretty miffed.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think that most of us are capable of telling if a toy is suitable for whichever child we're buying it for, without the need for gender guidance.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However there are times when shopping , online especially, when it is nice to have the Gifts for Girls and Gifts for Boys selection, as I often have no clue what kids like and it helps give an idea of what's popular at the moment if you don't see that child often ( as in case of cousins kids etc ) so don't know their tastes.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'd like to think that most of us are capable of telling if a toy is suitable for whichever child we're buying it for, without the need for gender guidance.
    you could spin it the other way, if thats the case then whats the harm in the sign? its just guidance, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    However there are times when shopping , online especially, when it is nice to have the Gifts for Girls and Gifts for Boys selection, as I often have no clue what kids like and it helps give an idea of what's popular at the moment if you don't see that child often ( as in case of cousins kids etc ) so don't know their tastes.

You could ask the parents
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Pathetic.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could ask the parents

What's wrong with some guidance ,as well and if people live abroad its not always easy to get them when you want, yes you can send a message but with time differences it does not always make it that easy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad they had these signs up when I was a child as I'd have been gutted if I'd got a barbie or something.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    What's wrong with some guidance ,as well and if people live abroad its not always easy to get them when you want, yes you can send a message but with time differences it does not always make it that easy.

"Popular with boys" would be guidance. "For boys" sounds like a restriction.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How ridiculous! Are they now going to suggest that every single shop , and indeed shop gift guide, amends or removes the gifts for girls, gifts for boys, gifts for him, gifts for her, gifts for cats, gifts for dogs, just in case someone buys a gift for the cat when he wanted a dog bone?? Bonkers!
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always liked toys that were considered for boys when I was younger. It didn't bother me in the slightest that they were aimed at boys and I had no problem being considered a tomboy.

I think it's helpful having sections of toys aimed for boys and girls and really see no harm in it.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good and this will become more common. Dividing toys into separate gender categories is outdated and irrelevant.

There are boys that want to be princesses too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mintoe wrote: »
    How ridiculous! Are they now going to suggest that every single shop , and indeed shop gift guide, amends or removes the gifts for girls, gifts for boys, gifts for him, gifts for her, gifts for cats, gifts for dogs, just in case someone buys a gift for the cat when he wanted a dog bone?? Bonkers!

Because cats & dogs think exactly the same way as people?
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Good and this will become more common. Dividing toys into separate gender categories is outdated and irrelevant.

This, a million times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boniver wrote: »
    I always liked toys that were considered for boys when I was younger. It didn't bother me in the slightest that they were aimed at boys and I had no problem being considered a tomboy.

I think it's helpful having sections of toys aimed for boys and girls and really see no harm in it.

It's not all about you though. The very term 'tomboy' suggests that you were stepping outside your assigned gender role, as opposed to just being a girl who liked what she liked.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

And for the vast majority of them it'll be just as unattainable a goal...

SRSLY, though, I agree with this. There's just no need for gendered toy displays.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If I don't find it a fun toy can I complain and get them to change all the signs?
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not all about you though. The very term 'tomboy' suggests that you were stepping outside your assigned gender role, as opposed to just being a girl who liked what she liked.

Meh, just saying it didn't bother me.

As usual though, a few people are offended by something that seems trivial.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see a problem because surely the sign is just recommending gift ideas that boys might like?
    It's not as if a sale had been refused because the staff found out that it was being bought for a girl.

I'm sure it would be much easier for parents if there was some signage so as to not have to look through loads of toys if they are just looking for a Barbie Doll for their daughter or something.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, even if adults can look past it, children can't always. If a sign says 'for girls' or 'for boys' they are more likely to take it literally and not feel comfortable choosing from the opposite gendered section. I've had conversations myself with my own boy where he won't play with something because 'ugh, it's for GIRLS'.

And why should toys be gendered? Why is it that Lego is considered a boy's toy? I'm a girl and I loved lego as a kid. Dolls are very much marketed towards girls, yet adult men look after their children and push prams. Toy kitchens are often marketed towards girls, but most of the top chefs are men.

I like the fact that previous posters say they'd look past the signs and pick something the child would like, but not everyone is so enlightened, unfortunately. And people shouldn't need to be 'enlightened', it should just simply be a load of toys in a shop and children and parents can just choose the things they like. They can be organised into the model train set section, the toy gun section, the doll section etc, but they don't need to be labelled with a particular gender.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The link has a sadface photo that is worthy of the Daily Mail!
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gendered toys exist for good reason.
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everybody always listen to the noisy demands of a tiny minority who need to get a life?