The fruit and veg growing thread

Comments

• c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a hell of a lot going on Badcat, keep up the good work :)

Within a week my cucumbers are taking over the greenhouse, I reckon they must be liking my homemade liquid manure feed.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a hell of a lot going on Badcat, keep up the good work :)

Within a week my cucumbers are taking over the greenhouse, I reckon they must be liking my homemade liquid manure feed.

Good news about your cucumbers:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 3 different types of pepper plants. So far counted 20 peppers. I also have a ghost chilly plant, counted 25 (god knows what I am going to do with them, they will be too hot for me). A normal chilly plant counted 30 chillies, luckily will be able to use them as they are not too hot.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have herbs growing in small pots on my balcony. Got parsley, dill, coriander, and we are looking after our neighbours' basil which is MASSIVE and has loads growing, the fragrance is amazing. I love having fresh herbs to hand, and use them for almost every meal. Wonderful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have herbs growing in small pots on my balcony. Got parsley, dill, coriander, and we are looking after our neighbours' basil which is MASSIVE and has loads growing, the fragrance is amazing. I love having fresh herbs to hand, and use them for almost every meal. Wonderful!

I love fresh herbs:) So easy to grow too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I have 3 different types of pepper plants. So far counted 20 peppers. I also have a ghost chilly plant, counted 25 (god knows what I am going to do with them, they will be too hot for me). A normal chilly plant counted 30 chillies, luckily will be able to use them as they are not too hot.

I love using hot chillies for chilli jam, as that way you get some proper heat into the mix, which with the sweetness from the sugar makes a lush flavour combination:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news about your cucumbers:)

Bad news, as they really are taking over the greenhouse lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love using hot chillies for chilli jam, as that way you get some proper heat into the mix, which with the sweetness from the sugar makes a lush flavour combination:D

Sounds very nice. I could do with something like that for my Christmas nut roast.:)
    Bad news, as they really are taking over the greenhouse lol

Can you prune it? Or will it kill the plant?
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know anything about growing grapes? I've three vines which will need to be trained badly next year but I'm quite worried about having it in winter. Any help?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know anything about growing grapes? I've three vines which will need to be trained badly next year but I'm quite worried about having it in winter. Any help?

I'm no expert but I usually do a big prune and training in November and then again in the spring and a few weeks before I want to crop the grapes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds very nice. I could do with something like that for my Christmas nut roast.:)

Can you prune it? Or will it kill the plant?

Chilli jam is very nice and is a good accompaniment with just about anything :)

Not sure about the pruning, I'm sure a little bit won't kill it, but pruning a small bit wouldn't be worth it considering how big they've got now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first of my cayenne chillies was ready for picking today, so I did a quick taste test to see how hot it was and was really surprised when it burnt my mouth out:o

They've always been very mild before:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the three different varieties of tomatoes I'm growing this year, one of them has turned out a little different to what it's meant to be.
    The variety is called Egg Yolk, which is meant to have fruit the size and colour of an egg yolk. Well one of the plant is producing fruit as in the picture, which clearly are not not egg yolk in colour and the size is bigger.
    They taste gorgeous though, so I'm not complaining. I've contacted the seller of them to see if they have an idea what they are as I'd like to grow them again next year:)

IMG_1180_zps4403b6f2.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi I have recently started a food blog and would really appreciate it if anyone could check out and spread the word thank you so much my blog can be found on leeatkins88.blogspot.co.uk
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone advise me on spring onions. Mine grew and I have picked loads for salads, but now they look kinda wilty. It isn't lack of water. The tops are lying on the floor instead of being in the air and they feel rubbery. Is it because they are over and need picking ? If so, I have hundreds (went a little OTT with the seeds when boredom set in)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have grown Italian Borlotti beans for the first time this year. I have just picked a good crop, but not sure what to do with them, how do you cook them? do they need soaking overnight to remove any poison? can they be frozen? Any help thanks.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Well I harvested to corn this weekend and now have 4.5 Kilos of sweetcorn in the freezer. Took some tomatoes but though they are all a really good size, they're taking their own sweet time to ripen.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which I can grow through my hop vine?
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now hate all the types of caterpillars eating my tenderstem broccoli.

Every bloody day I find them... little evil green gits. next year I am going to make some evil anti caterpillar spray and kill you all.... no more miss nicegal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a very good crop of curly kale. Just did some research pleased to find out that I can keep on picking it till spring. So pleased I decided to grow it. Just put some garlic and shallots. Should I cover it?
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just ordered me seed potatoes....roll on the Spring!!
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I have a very good crop of curly kale. Just did some research pleased to find out that I can keep on picking it till spring. So pleased I decided to grow it. Just put some garlic and shallots. Should I cover it?

I love curly kale. They are totally hardy, as are shallots and garlic. In fact, garlic needs good cold winters to do well! So no need to cover.

I am trying a new thing this year. I found the seeds in northern Portugal in 2012, and they grow them there over winter. So I am hoping that they last as well as the kale I traditionally grow over-winter.
    This variety is called couve. It is a leggy plant and you just cut off leaves as you need them, so incredibly economic. I have had several meals off them (indeed, I am making soup with them today!) and they have a lovely taste - really cabbagy, if you know what I mean!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    I love curly kale. They are totally hardy, as are shallots and garlic. In fact, garlic needs good cold winters to do well! So no need to cover.

I am trying a new thing this year. I found the seeds in northern Portugal in 2012, and they grow them there over winter. So I am hoping that they last as well as the kale I traditionally grow over-winter.
    This variety is called couve. It is a leggy plant and you just cut off leaves as you need them, so incredibly economic. I have had several meals off them (indeed, I am making soup with them today!) and they have a lovely taste - really cabbagy, if you know what I mean!

Kale is lovely in stir fries too.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone thought about what they are growing this year. I will be growing runner beans again as I had a very good crop. Onions and garlic doing well.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we've been thinking. Runner beans are a definite! We too had a great crop last year and they freeze so well. It was lovely to have home grown beans on Christmas day.
    Also...
    Cherry toms
    Mini cucumbers
    Courgettes
    Lettuce (last years were poor)
    Chilli - I'm hoping last years plant has overwintered. I let it go dormant and then pruned it hard. I've just started watering it again. If not, I can start another.
    Might give beetroot another go but will not be growing broad beans again. Had a very poor crop and we didn't even like them :blush: We may give aubergine another go. The one (!) we had last year was very nice :D