Options

The All Purpose Rugby Union Thread (P2)

Comments

• Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Munster Stade this weekend off, with a host of matches postponed from last weekend

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Champions Cup wasn't completed this year as the season is just way too congested to allow a plethora of rearranged fixtures

Can't say anyone could complain or argue with it, Rugby is a complete insignificance in the overall scheme of things
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Mr Lomu - your record of the most tries ever in RWC history (15 shared with Bryan Habana who did it in 3 RWC's/18 matches, Lomu did it in just 2 RWC's/11 matches) and the most tries ever scored in a RWC 1999 (8 shared with Julian Savea) mean undoubtedly you will go down as one the greatest players that game has ever seen.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    RIP Mr Lomu - your record of the most tries ever in RWC history (15 shared with Bryan Habana who did it in 3 RWC's/18 matches, Lomu did it in just 2 RWC's/11 matches) and the most tries ever scored in a RWC 1999 (8 shared with Julian Savea) mean undoubtedly you will go down as one the greatest players that game has ever seen.

Absolutely the defining player of professional rugby. The genuine first world renowned superstar of the game. Gone too soon.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Absolutely the defining player of professional rugby. The genuine first world renowned superstar of the game. Gone too soon.

I echo your sentiments there, he was the first person I thought of, whenever the term rugby union is mentioned, and those images of him against England will forever be iconic ones.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Jonah has died, it was really shocking well I heard the news.

The man was a true superstar of the game and helped bring the game into professional era.

RIP to an All Black legend
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps any future England v New Zealand match should be for the Lomu trophy, that might be a fitting way to give him the honour of having his name immortalised forever that way.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,665
    Forum Member
    Or for top try scorer at each RWC finals?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eddie Jones getting the England gig

Could turn out a very inspired appointment. I'm sure there was plenty who felt it could have ended up so much worse, but there ain't many options out there better than EJ

As an Irishman I still believe Rugby needs England and France as competitive as they can be

I thought they'd go for an existing Prem Coach or a yes man tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Eddie Jones getting the England gig

Could turn out a very inspired appointment. I'm sure there was plenty who felt it could have ended up so much worse, but there ain't many options out there better than EJ

As an Irishman I still believe Rugby needs England and France as competitive as they can be

I thought they'd go for an existing Prem Coach or a yes man tbh

It'll be interesting for sure. Jones worked marvels with Japan but had the undivided attention of the players and their union, he won't necessarily have that with England. His record with Australia wasn't the best given the talent they had back then, although he did get them to the RWC final... mind you that was 10 years ago and he does seem like the kind of coach who adapts and changes his style (opposite of Cockerill).

At this stage I'm happy with anyone other than White, he would be a terrible choice and would drag England back to the Robinson era.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps any future England v New Zealand match should be for the Lomu trophy, that might be a fitting way to give him the honour of having his name immortalised forever that way.

Bit arrogant to associate his name just with matches against England. Why not the Rugby World Cup trophy itself?
    Eddie Jones is the best appointment England could make out of who is available. It will interesting who he has as background staff.
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Bit arrogant to associate his name just with matches against England. Why not the Rugby World Cup trophy itself?
    Eddie Jones is the best appointment England could make out of who is available. It will interesting who he has as background staff.

It would be good if he kept on Graham Rowntree who has done well as forwards coach, however for me Andy Farrell must go, he held too much influence over Stuart Lancaster and he doesnt seem to add much as a coach.

As for the appointment of Eddie Jones, it will be interesting to see who he picks for the Scotland match, he is a sound appointment and should be better than Lancaster in the more difficult matches (against AB's. Aus and SA) however Lancaster was good with player development. It would be a waste if the RFU do not have Lancaster in a rugby development role.
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member

You cant rename the William Webb Ellis Cup as it is named after the founder of rugby, maybe Lomu's name could be applied to the Rugby Championship trophy or to the aforementioned England vs New Zealand matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a statement of intent by Sarries. Some start to the season. safe to say English club Rugby has overtaken Ireland quite considerably. Probably not long till it happens at international level

sad looking at how average the Irish clubs have become, a mere shadow of a few years go :( can't see how it'll improve either, they're not attracting any top players, and there could well be an exodus in the coming years like Wales
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say arrogant, just ignorant of the wider rugby community and goings on.

I think the award for top try scorer at the RWC should be renamed the Lomu trophy... or perhaps the IRB player of the year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fantastic win by Wasps over Toulon today, brilliant performance from the players.

First time since December 2008 that all English clubs won in European Cup,. Perhaps England's early RWC exit had some benefit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic win by Wasps over Toulon today, brilliant performance from the players.

First time since December 2008 that all English clubs won in European Cup,. Perhaps England's early RWC exit had some benefit?

And Armitage looked very "meh"...
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, Welsh Rugby is where it's at if you're on performance enhancing 'stimulants'...:o.

'Steroid abuse off-the-scale in Welsh grassroots rugby'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34902105
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    And Armitage looked very "meh"...

Indeed, that can't have helped the likes of Stuart Barnes to continue their "We must have Armitage in the England squad regardless" mantra
    davethecue wrote: »
    Apparently, Welsh Rugby is where it's at if you're on performance enhancing 'stimulants'...:o.

I guess because rugby is a bigger sport there, young players are doing whatever they can to give themselves an advantage.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »

Hardly surprising considering there is a big steroid problem in Wales in general. Anyone who had the foresight to open a shop selling too-tight, v-neck t-shirts in South Wales five years ago has probably retired to their private island in the Caribbean by now.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,325
    Forum Member
    Hartley as captain according to the BBC.

Maybe too much of a risk with his discipline record?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit of a risk.
    Also won't he be a 60 minute captain? Struggling to think of a side that doesn't replace their hooker and one or more props in the second half. Whereas Robshaw always finished the match.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^Trouble is who else is there, they said Launchberry's to young, just hoping being captain will temper Hartley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    happy new year everyone. if there is anything positive about the awful month that is january it's that there's some cracking club rugby and the whole build up to the 6n!

Can anyone stop Sarries this year?

Jonny may ruled out of 6n for England. no loss at all imo though I couldn't see Jones picking him anyway. Goode or Ashton have to make that back 3.

FWIW I think Hartley is the best shout for captain. there are fk all other options and it may well temper him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Schalk Burger joins Sarries! They are going to be even scarier next season if possible!