Comments

• Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    what a terrible over from woakes

Quite agree

Other teams will be taking note as they prepare their World Cup dossier on England
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woakes entrusted with the final over as well....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and he's on a hat-trick:o:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 needed off the last ball

An unlikely 3 would get us a Super Over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A swing and a miss and a dot ball. Fair play to Woakes

England win the series:)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    and good old Woakesy bowls a dot ball

phew........thank god for Woakesy.......:p
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory , woakes just redeemed himself

hard to say what our best team is if everyone is fit , gonna be at least a couple of guys that will feel unlucky to be left out

edit : had a quick think and this team looks quite dangerous

hales
    roy
    root
    morgan
    buttler
    moeen
    stokes
    willey
    rashid
    jordan
    plunkett

7 bowling options, 3 spin and 4 seam and right down to #11 we have guys that can clear the boundary
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch the T20s as there is lots of sport on elsewhere. Well done to the one day teams in the last couple of weeks. Two out of three ain't bad as the song used to go I think.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member

hard to say what our best team is if everyone is fit , gonna be at least a couple of guys that will feel unlucky to be left out

hales
    roy
    root
    morgan
    buttler
    moeen
    stokes
    willey
    rashid
    jordan
    plunkett

7 bowling options, 3 spin and 4 seam and right down to #11 we have guys that can clear the boundary

would ideally remove Jordan for parry if the conditions suit.
    No idea what pitches india will give but think parry might have more success than jordan in the tournament.
    Doubt the pitches will turn barring the knock-out games although no one really knows how many pitches being used, what ground etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    would ideally remove Jordan for parry if the conditions suit.
    No idea what pitches india will give but think parry might have more success than jordan in the tournament.
    Doubt the pitches will turn barring the knock-out games although no one really knows how many pitches being used, what ground etc.

yeah was thinking that as well actually

especially in a tournament environment when the pitches tend to get used a few times and can get a bit life-less
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

hales
    roy
    root
    morgan
    buttler
    moeen
    stokes
    willey
    rashid
    jordan
    plunkett

I would rather have Vince for Stokes. Still have 6 bowlers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good line up mimi but , as you say, we have a lot of competition for places now

I still think there should be a place for Bairstow but how you get him in the X1, I haven't a clue !

Agree re Vince as well Darren. Would keep Stokes though as he's a game changer and our best fielder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would rather have Vince for Stokes. Still have 6 bowlers.

i was just thinking about how reluctant they have been to use root as a bowler recently so having him as the only backup bowler wasn't my preference

but would love to try and fit vince in somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Good line up mimi but , as you say, we have a lot of competition for places now

I still think there should be a place for Bairstow but how you get him in the X1, I haven't a clue !

Agree re Vince as well Darren. Would keep Stokes though as he's a game changer and our best fielder

yeah its gonna be hard , just for example in this albeit brief convo we haven't even mentioned billings either
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great listening from TMS. Am glad they are getting the balance right.

And at brekkie I also caught some of Alison Mitchell spicing up the Australasia series. I assume I'll manage to catch more of that this weekend.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Draw? They would have to bat 2.5 days.:)

Oops brain freeze lol 😀. At the time I realised I meant bat slowly and eventually hit the target but after a day at work I had completely forgotten what day it was when I posted.

What a great finish to the T20 and I actually enjoyed seeing Afridi get a bit of his mojo back - he is such an engaging character.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

hales
    roy
    root
    morgan
    buttler
    moeen
    stokes
    willey
    rashid
    jordan
    plunkett

Topley surely plays ahead of Willey ATM, would rather Woakes for Jordan too, billings gets my vote over Stokes, but it's not really a criticism of your side, but more saying we genuinely do have a lot of options for once.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd go as far as saying Woakes just got lucky and didnt redeem himself. Only because it was Nos9 & 10 batting did he get away with bowling 2 legside balls to the leftie when all his fielders were on the off-side (although one of them did go for 4). And his final ball of the match was straight up length and should've disappeared! Thank goodness it didn't though because we deserved that win being the better team for more of the match.

Our batting is absolutely world class, fielding more than good, up front bowling and middle overs not too shabby. But i still think we're no nearer solving our death bowling problems, which will cost us at some point. No side is perfect though and i'm loving watching us in T20s and ODI's since the embarrasment of the WC, the improvement is immense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alfamale wrote: »

Our batting is absolutely world class, fielding more than good, up front bowling and middle overs not too shabby. But i still think we're no nearer solving our death bowling problems, which will cost us at some point. No side is perfect though and i'm loving watching us in T20s and ODI's since the embarrasment of the WC, the improvement is immense.

one of the reasons i picked the team balance the way i did above is i dont think we really have any standout bowling options , sure we could pick topley for willey or finn for jordan etc etc but in t20 almost anyone can go for runs so without that standout bowler i'm happy to just pack the team with guys who can clear the ropes at the bottom of the order and just tell everyone to go for it, dont worry about losing wickets just keep pushing

and even contributions like 10-15 at a s/r of 200 from guys like jordan or plunkett at the end can turn a good score into a winning score
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Got to feel sorry for Umar Akmal

After being run out by his partner yesterday, the umpire saws him off
    bad guess by umpire

hales
    roy
    root
    morgan
    buttler
    moeen
    stokes
    willey
    rashid
    jordan
    plunkett

hales 1
    roy 2
    root 4
    morgan 5
    buttler 6
    moeen...............No....Vince at 3
    stokes 7
    willey or Woakes at 9
    rashid. 8
    jordan................No....Parry at 11
    plunkett....10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not sure australia are gonna be too enamoured with day/night tests with the way today has gone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    little bit of controversy in adelaide

australia 117-8 and lyon looks to have got a top edge on one , given not out on field and upheld by the 3rd umpire even tho there looked to be a mark on hotspot

partnership has now put on around 70 more runs which in the context of a low scoring game is absolutely crucial, not sure if starc is going to bat as well so that would have been end of innings
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe Lyon was given not out . He's lucky he didn't leave the field as he made his way off after watching the replay on the big screen
    Awful decision

Starc comes in as last man and biffs Craig for some sixes

Australia have a handy lead of 22

Looks like another Test may not make the final day
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely disgraceful, no excuse for the umpire missing that.

"Could have been anything", they were saying, perhaps it was caused by a butterfly or something.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of the reasons i picked the team balance the way i did above is i dont think we really have any standout bowling options , sure we could pick topley for willey or finn for jordan etc etc but in t20 almost anyone can go for runs so without that standout bowler i'm happy to just pack the team with guys who can clear the ropes at the bottom of the order and just tell everyone to go for it, dont worry about losing wickets just keep pushing

and even contributions like 10-15 at a s/r of 200 from guys like jordan or plunkett at the end can turn a good score into a winning score

Well, Woakes is a better bat than Plunkers, Rashid or Jordan IMHO, and his 15 arguably won us the match yesterday, we could have easily got a lot less after our collapse.

Oh Sulla wants Moeen dropped that's a surprise, only three matches ago won us the match against Oz. Oh and less bowling by replacing him with Vince too, so good move all-round.