Options

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2015

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After last week Adam Peaty is probably guaranteed a second nomination in a row.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Imo there is probably four contenders for the main award so far maybe five
    One of the women footballers most probably Lucy Bronze or Steph Houghton
    Chris Froome
    Adam Peaty
    Charlotte Dujardin
    One of the cricketers probably Stuart Broad
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laddergoat wrote: »
    Imo there is probably four contenders for the main award so far maybe five
    One of the women footballers most probably Lucy Bronze or Steph Houghton
    Chris Froome
    Adam Peaty
    Charlotte Dujardin
    One of the cricketers probably Stuart Broad

Lewis Hamilton again if he retains the F1 title.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton again if he retains the F1 title.

He means so far

If England win the RWC then their star player will be a heavy contender, and if Murray wins the USO and Davis Cup so will he
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peaty isn't a contender. Swimming doesn't register outside the Olympics. As great as his acheivements have been I doubt 5% of the country could pick him out of a lineup.

Dujardin has the benefit of already being Olympic champion but again no one is paying attention to Dressage outside of the Olympics so she won't come anywhere near the award.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Peaty isn't a contender. Swimming doesn't register outside the Olympics. As great as his acheivements have been I doubt 5% of the country could pick him out of a lineup.

Dujardin has the benefit of already being Olympic champion but again no one is paying attention to Dressage outside of the Olympics so she won't come anywhere near the award.

However both were nominated last year...
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    However both were nominated last year...

True but that was by sports journalists rather than the public..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think either Peaty or Dujardin have a chance of winning just gathering a list of potential nominees of which Peaty and possibly Dujardin are sure to be in amongst the 10.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump.

Jessica Ennis-Hill - BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2015.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She'd be a good pick, and having come close in the past, but not actually won, I think she'd pick up a lot of floating votes.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    She would get the female and mums vote!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unless the Rugby World Cup has a star performer, I think Jess is nailed on to win. Its ridiculous to think she lost to Giggs last time when she was nominated in 09.
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the Rugby World Cup has a star performer, I think Jess is nailed on to win. Its ridiculous to think she lost to Giggs last time when she was nominated in 09.

I hope so, it's hard to think of a sportsperson who has done more to deserve it. Peaty would be a deserving runner-up - I live in hope that the voters might go for a relatively minor sport (seems silly to call it minor when it must have one of the highest participation levels but there you go...)
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never mind her, what about Jenson Button, who won the F1 World Title that year, but was runner-up to Giggs in SPOTY.

Back to 2015, Ennis-Hill's story has a bit of human interest about it; returning to competition after giving birth to a child and that sort of thing helps sway the public. And it wouldn't be the first time. Back in 1991, Liz McColgan won the women's 10,000 metres soon after giving birth to her first child and won that years SPOTY (coincidentally, her triumph was also in the Far East and in a RWC year). And let's not forget last year Jo Pavey came third in SPOTY months after giving birth to her second child and winning gold in the 10,000 metres in the European Championships.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Ennis Hill? You are joking?

As great of an athlete as she is, she does get lot of exposure when their are other athletes who have as good achievements.

What about Mo Farah? Possibly Britains greatest track athlete ever, he's dominated both 10000m and 5000m for the past 5 years in the way that no other British athlete in modern history ever has.

What happens if Mo Farah wins TWO golds at this years World Championships? Is that inferior to JEH achievements this year?

Mo Farah's basically been the Usain Bolt of long distance and he can't get shorter odds of 25/1 at the minute its frankly absurd.

JEH has already finished in the top 3 THREE times, so this will be her forth. If anyone ever looked at SPOTY alone they would think she is the greatest British sportsperson ever.

I don't want to be denigrating her achievements, she's a great champion, but if Greg Rutherford were to win the long jump this year I wouldn't rank her much higher than him in terms of all time British great athletes.

Mo Farah's probably one of the greatest athletes ever period, and if this country wont him award a SPOTY ever then somethings seriously wrong.

And Chris Froome, two TDF's not good enough either apparently.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

As great of an athlete as she is, she does get lot of exposure when their are other athletes who have as good achievements.

What about Mo Farah? Possibly Britains greatest track athlete ever, he's dominated both 10000m and 5000m for the past 5 years in the way that no other British athlete in modern history ever has.

What happens if Mo Farah wins TWO golds at this years World Championships? Is that inferior to JEH achievements this year?

Mo Farah's basically been the Usain Bolt of long distance and he can't get shorter odds of 25/1 at the minute its frankly absurd.

JEH has already finished in the top 3 THREE times, so this will be her forth. If anyone ever looked at SPOTY alone they would think she is the greatest British sportsperson ever.

I don't want to be denigrating her achievements, she's a great champion, but if Greg Rutherford were to win the long jump this year I wouldn't rank her much higher than him in terms of all time British great athletes.

Mo Farah's probably one of the greatest athletes ever period, and if this country wont him award a SPOTY ever then somethings seriously wrong.

Really the rest of the post disagrees, Rutherford really!? She may have finished top three a fair few times, but so what who remembers the runner-ups, shows she's been pretty unlucky not to win it, if anything goes against your point.

Anyway not aware of any of these people winning gold after giving birth to another human being.

Bolt almost nailed on to win the overseas now though.

Shame for Serena, but the narrative of beating the drug cheat is everything.

Normal dissing of women's tennis in here I see, but expected, certainly from some who are doing it. Stamina of field mice, WTF they're so much fitter than your average golfer, and I like golf. Think Safarova or Wozniacki may just beat Lowry or Mickelson in a race.

Apart from the odd exception the fitness on the WTA is incredibly stronger than ever before. Mentally they're fine, chokers in all level of sports, Garcia anyone?

Serena is supreme, give her some credit.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming back after giving birth definitely gives Jess an extra angle, and people are rightly impressed at how she's handled herself.

Mo might struggle, because of the issues with his coach. Horribly unfair if he is clean, which we must assume, but he also upset some by skipping the Commonwealth Games. In reality, there is something special about the multi-discipline events, which gives Jess and edge over Mo or the likes of Greg.

The world of athletics will be mightily relieved by Bolt beating Gatlin, but that's not reason enough for him to be given the international award. IMO, Serena still has an advantage for a decision made by a panel of sports experts, even if she wins nothing else this year.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good point about Mo Farah; however, Jessica Ennis-Hill is the nation's sweetheart period, so as long as she would have got a medal irrespective of colour, she would be almost guaranteed to be in the top three in the public's mind for SPOTY. And it's not unusual to be placed 3 or more times for SPOTY; Sally Gunnell was thrice-placed in consecutive years in the 1990's.

Anyway, back to Farah, and it is an absolute travesty that despite doing the double in the 5000 and 10000 metres at both the Olympics and World Championships, he has only been placed once at SPOTY (3rd in 2011). It was his rotten luck that (Sir) Bradley Wiggins and Andy Murray had big major triumphs to go alongside their gold medals at London 2012 and whilst he was never going to usurp Murray for the 2013 title after the Scotsman's triumph at Wimbledon, he was forced out the top 3 by the regional vote for Welsh - and British Lions in that year - rugby star Leigh Halfpenny and the horse racing vote for Tony McCoy.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Bump.

I would love either Jess or Mo to win, preferably Mo because he hasn't won it, or Adam Peaty. All deserving winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has a mother ever won this?

It is definitely an extra angle, that may sway voters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really the rest of the post disagrees, Rutherford really!? She may have finished top three a fair few times, but so what who remembers the runner-ups, shows she's been pretty unlucky not to win it, if anything goes against your point.

Anyway not aware of any of these people winning gold after giving birth to another human being.

Bolt almost nailed on to win the overseas now though.

Shame for Serena, but the narrative of beating the drug cheat is everything.

Normal dissing of women's tennis in here I see, but expected, certainly from some who are doing it. Stamina of field mice, WTF they're so much fitter than your average golfer, and I like golf. Think Safarova or Wozniacki may just beat Lowry or Mickelson in a race.

Apart from the odd exception the fitness on the WTA is incredibly stronger than ever before. Mentally they're fine, chokers in all level of sports, Garcia anyone?

Serena is supreme, give her some credit.

I wasn't denigrating her achievements, maybe comparing her equally to Rutherford was a little harsh given she's competes in multi events, but if you read my post properly however (which you obviously didn't), I didn't actually criticise her as an athlete at all, only to say somewhat she's overexposed given other athletes have equal, if not greater achievements (IMO), that was my criticism.

Also I like the fact you didn't actually mention of Mo in your post once, any reason why you don't think he shouldn't get it?

Jessica Ennis Hill: 2 World Championships and 1 Olympic gold medal
    Mo Farah: 4 (and possibly 5 by Wednesday) World Championships golds and 2 Olympic golds. Mo might even finish his career with 4 olympics golds and 7 WC's golds, if he maxes out by 2017 (when he retires), but that still might not be a enough for a damn bloody SPOTY.

You know from the tennis thread that I can't stand Serena, but if she doesn't win overseas SPOTY winning a golden slam (possibly even 5 in a row!), then SPOTY for me is losing total credibility.

With all those hours and hours on court not being defeated once, over a guy who ran only for less than 10 seconds and wasn't anywhere near his best beating a drugs cheat who he normally beats routinely anyway is better than Serena's achievements year is ludicrous. Bolt will beat him next year in the Olympics and beat him again in the worlds in 2017, its not anything spectacular what he did yesterday, it was just a bit of surprise given his form, he beat Gatlin in 2012 and 2013 when everyone knew he was a drugs cheat then and nobody gave a shit.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    If Richie McCaw leads NZ to a RWC he could be a big shout for Overseas Personality

One of the great international careers coming to an end (many people's GOAT) and he recently became the most capped player of all time

It'll be very fresh in the memory too (isn't final November?), and will get a lot of coverage in Britain (naturally).

If England win it, Robshaw or George Ford or a Mike Brown will get SPOTY

If Ireland win it, POC will be a huge shout for overseas, given his retirement and the fact he's 37 captaining rank outsiders to the greatest achievement ever in Irish sport
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't denigrating her achievements, maybe comparing her equally to Rutherford was a little harsh given she's competes in multi events, but if you read my post properly however (which you obviously didn't), I didn't actually criticise her as an athlete at all, only to say somewhat she's overexposed given other athletes have equal, if not greater achievements (IMO), that was my criticism.

Also I like the fact you didn't actually mention of Mo in your post once, any reason why you don't think he shouldn't get it?

Jessica Ennis Hill: 2 World Championships and 1 Olympic gold medal
    Mo Farah: 4 (and possibly 5 by Wednesday) World Championships golds and 2 Olympic golds. Mo might even finish his career with 4 olympics golds and 7 WC's golds, if he maxes out by 2017 (when he retires), but that still might not be a enough for a damn bloody SPOTY.

You know from the tennis thread that I can't stand Serena, but if she doesn't win overseas SPOTY winning a golden slam (possibly even 5 in a row!), then SPOTY for me is losing total credibility.

With all those hours and hours on court not being defeated once, over a guy who ran only for less than 10 seconds and wasn't anywhere near his best beating a drugs cheat who he normally beats routinely anyway is better than Serena's achievements year is ludicrous. Bolt will beat him next year in the Olympics and beat him again in the worlds in 2017, its not anything spectacular what he did yesterday, it was just a bit of surprise given his form, he beat Gatlin in 2012 and 2013 when everyone knew he was a drugs cheat then and nobody gave a shit.

By saying lots of others are better, particularly Rutherford, whose achievements just aren't as good in comparison you are denigrating her.

I didn't mention Mo because this is a public vote and unfortunately he won't win because mud sticks.

Talking of things not mentioned you seem to be totally avoiding the baby thing.

Not sure how Serena can win a golden slam in a year without the Olympics, I admit that would be the crowning achievement of any career.

Did no-one give a shit when Bolt won gold before, news to me. Won this in 2012, he's a three-time winner.
    '
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By saying lots of others are better, particularly Rutherford, whose achievements just aren't as good in comparison you are denigrating her.

You're deliberately misinterpreting what I said, I didn't say Rutherford was "better than her", I said I would rank him nearly as good as her (NOT BETTER - READ THE POST). I now accept that may have been a little harsh as said in my previous post.

But how do you I know I am denigrating her? I actually said in that post she was a "great athlete" and a "great champion", perhaps I think highly of Rutherford, and that's a compliment to him as I see him as nearly as good as a great champion/athlete that is JEH, rather than denigrating her.
    I didn't mention Mo because this is a public vote and unfortunately he won't win because mud sticks. Talking of things not mentioned you seem to be totally avoiding the baby thing.

Great achievement, she won after having a baby, but to be honest with you I actually think a lot of people are using that to justify putting her over Mo, because the same people who are supporting her over Mo at the moment would be supporting her even if she didn't have the baby.

Why do I think that? Because she came second in SPOTY 2012 and Mo didn't make the top 3 then (he was a DOUBLE OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST), and there was no baby then, people just don't like Mo for whatever reason.
    Not sure how Serena can win a golden slam in a year without the Olympics, I admit that would be the crowning achievement of any career.

Oh is that actually the definition of the golden slam? I wasn't aware of that, sorry I should have Serena Slam then.
    Did no-one give a shit when Bolt won gold before, news to me.
    '

Ah Bolt winning gold was, but the narrative of oh my god he's beaten a drugs cheat lets give him overseas SPOTY wasn't played up in 2012 or 2013, when he beat Gatlin in both those races.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mo should get it if he doubles up on Wednesday. Tough on Lewis Hamilton if he matches Jackie Stewart's British record of 3 F1 titles (Stewart only won SPOTY after his 3rd title).

And Serena should get the overseas award, though I suspect she will be even more deserving of that next year when she passes Graf's (and maybe Court's) tally of Grand Slam singles titles, with maybe an Olympic Gold thrown in as well.
This discussion has been closed.