The Ratings Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we get some extra EastEnders that week. ;)
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    With September now over, the weeknight 9pm slot average for the month was:

BBC1- 4.8m (Sep '09: 4.9m)
    ITV1- 4.1m (4.2m)

BBC1 outrated ITV1 in the slot by the same margin as last year, although both channels were down 0.1m year-on-year.

The overall 2010 weeknight 9pm slot averages currently stand at:

BBC1- 4.6m (Jan-Sep '09: 4.7m)
    ITV1- 4.2m (4.2m)
    But, aren't the ratings supposed to be about 4% higher this year? So the drop is a bit larger than at first sight...

K
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=D.M.N.;44483973Sunday 5th December

21:00 - I'm a Celebrity... Coming Out![/QUOTE]is this a new show, where celebritys come out?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    is this a new show, where celebritys come out?

Lol.

It's the show which shows the celebrities from I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! coming out of the jungle and back into their real lives.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC:
    8pm - My Generation - 3.94m (1.1)
    * Start the countdown clock... this one hasn't got much time left
    * Down 32% from the premiere
    * The CW had a 36% lead over ABC in the hour
    9pm - Grey's Anatomy - 12.23m (4.4)
    * Down 19% from premiere
    * Lowest fall broadcast ever
    * Down 27% from same week last year
    * Still #1 show of the night among A18-49
    10pm - Private Practice - 8.03m (2.9)
    * Down 9% from last weeks premiere

CBS:
    8pm - The Big Bang Theory - 12.97m (4.3)
    * Down 12% vs last week
    * #1 at 8pm in viewers & adults 18-49
    8.30pm - $#*! My Dad Says - 10.44m (3.2)
    * Down 18% vs last week
    * 74% retention from The Big Bang Theory
    9pm - CSI - 13.32m (3.0)
    * Down 12% vs last week
    * Down 25% vs same week last year
    * Most watched show at 9pm
    10pm - The Mentalist - 14.55m (3.0)
    * Most watched show of the night
    * #1 among adults 18-49 at 10pm
    * Down 19% vs same week last year

FOX:
    8pm - Bones - 9.56m (2.5)
    * Down 7% from last week
    * 2nd among adults 18-49 at 8pm
    9pm - Fringe - 5.44m (1.9)
    * Down 10% from last week
    * Down 17% from same week last year

NBC:
    8pm - Community - 4.51m (1.9)
    * Down 14% from last week
    8.30pm - 30 Rock - 5.69m (2.6)
    * Holding up welll in its new slot
    * Flat vs last week
    9pm - The Office - 7.30m (3.7)
    * Comfortably beat CSI for the half hour
    * Down 14% from premiere
    * Flat vs same week last year
    9.30pm - Outsourced - 5.81m (2.8)
    * Down 20% from premiere
    * 76% retention from The Office
    10pm - The Apprentice - 3.69m (1.4)
    * Ties last weeks all time series low
    * 13% worse than The Jay Leno Show

CW:
    8pm - The Vampire Diaries - 3.19m (1.5)
    * W18-34 - 2.5
    * Beat ABC among adults 18-49
    9pm - Nikita - 2.74m (1.0)
    * W18-34 - 1.1
    * Down 20% from Supernatural among A18-49

Network Results:
    Rank - A18-49 - A18-34 - Viewers - A18-49 vs 09
    #1 - CBS - 3.3 - 2.0 - 13.19m - Down 13%
    #2 - ABC - 2.8 - 2.7 - 8.07m - Down 40%
    #3 - NBC - 2.3 - 2.5 - 5.12m - Up 5%
    #4 - FOX - 2.2 - 1.8 - 7.50m - Down 12%
    #5 - CW - 1.3 - 1.4 - 2.97m - Down 7%

Tvbythenumbers

While Thursday was once the biggest night of the week for US TV every one of the "big 4" has been stronger on Monday/Tuesday in the key demo. It is NBC & FOX's weakest night of the week so far.

A bit of a slip for The Big Bang Theory but still very strong - in the sitcom wars that will leave it third behind Two and a Half Men (4.8) and Modern Family (4.5). On the plus side, CBS was marginally up in the 8pm hour vs Survivor last year.

NBC & ABC are both being hit badly by major flops at 10pm or 8pm and Outsourced isn't looking too strong in its second week either.

With the exceptions of Bones, The Office and The Vampire Diaries, there isn't much to cheer about with many shows recording double digit % drops from the second week of season 2010/11.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Just seen this: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a279713/itv-confirms-corrie-50th-specials.html

50th Anniversary Week, week beginning 6th December
    - Coronation Street: The Big 50 (1 x 90 minutes)
    - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (2 x 60 minutes)

At a guess, 50 Years, 50 Moments will be on the Thursday and Friday with The Big 50 maybe on the Sunday. Maybe:

Sunday 5th December
    19:30 - Coronation Street
    20:00 - The X Factor
    21:00 - I'm a Celebrity... Coming Out!

Monday 6th December
    19:00 - Emmerdale
    20:00 - normal programming
    20:30 - Coronation Street: The Big 50

Tuesday 7th December
    19:30 - Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
    20:30 - The Road to Coronation Street
    - technically BBC, but given its an ITV Studios production, surely it can be adapted for ITV1 transmission?

Wednesday 8th December
    19:30 - UEFA Champions League Live

Thursday 9th December
    20:00 - Coronation Street Live
    21:00 - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (1/2)

Friday 10th December
    20:00 - The X Factor Final Preview*
    20:30 - Coronation Street
    21:00 - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (2/2)

* come on, this is ITV we're on about, I'm surprised we didn't get a Final Preview last year!

I thought the Live Episode was going to be show on Friday? Viewers that week will love ITV1 or hate it!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursdays really needs a rethink as it used to be the strongest night but now it's lower compared Monday/Tuesday/Wednesdays. I think CBS should go ahead with expanding their comedy block and have CSI moved to Friday or Sunday.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Live Episode was going to be show on Friday? Viewers that week will love ITV1 or hate it!

Well the anniversary itself is on the Thursday.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=44471806&postcount=6

C5 BB deal still a possibility? Won't get my hopes up but nice to hear that if talks have broken down as reported that C5 aren't completely ruling it out yet.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Atlantic not a huge surprise - they were obviously empire building, but I thought they might be looking towards a commercial free drama channel, which as this is (for now) part of the basic variety pack seems unlikely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what ratings BSkyB expect for Sky Atlantic because as critically acclaimed as American cable shows are, some like Treme will be low rated, I expect it's a loss leader at least in the short term because I imagine they'll want to see if it impact Sky1 or Living in any way.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Well the anniversary itself is on the Thursday.

From what I've gleaned the actual tram crash will occur on the anniversary. As the live episode is the direct aftermath it would suggest that it will be a Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's had a run on FX, but True Blood's ratings on C4 shows Sky haven't hit on a ratings goldmine. Indeed since Sex and the City and perhaps the first series of Six Feet Under, not sure any HBO show have really got over 2m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I know it's had a run on FX, but True Blood's ratings on C4 shows Sky haven't hit on a ratings goldmine. Indeed since Sex and the City and perhaps the first series of Six Feet Under, not sure any HBO show have really got over 2m.

I personally think HBO's overrated but critics fall on top on themselves about their shows. Don't get me wrong, some of the shows they've come up with are excellent like Sopranos, Sex and the City, Six Feet Under but they've been overshadowed by the likes of Showtime, AMC, FX etc They've been forced to up their game because they are no longer the destination of quality shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - definately in recent years Showtime and FX have arguably overtaken HBO - and Sky's last exclusive deal with HBO didn't really give them much apart from Deadwood, which I think ran for 3 series, and Carnival, which managed just 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - definately in recent years Showtime and FX have arguably overtaken HBO - and Sky's last exclusive deal with HBO didn't really give them much apart from Deadwood, which I think ran for 3 series, and Carnival, which managed just 2.

Showtime does well even though it has 10m less subscribers than HBO and Starz is coming off the success of Spartacus with new shows like Camelot, Torchwood etc I could see Spartacus move to Sky Atlantic but I reckon it's not prestige enough and more likely end up on Sky1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are other networks now that produce great shows but it's still HBO that turns out the higher quality stuff - a lot of it is just criminally underrated (Big Love, In Treatment, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire) great show that just don't seem to be making as big a noise as the likes of Soprano's, Sex & The City, Six Feet Under did or even The Wire.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we get some extra EastEnders that week. ;)

How pregnant is Kat Slater? Could she drop the sprog on Corrie birthday week? Or will the producers be saving that for Christmas?

Eastenders gets a spare episode courtesy of Children In Need night (Nov 19) but I doubt the BBC would do anything to try and spoil Corrie's party. That would just earn them lots of bad publicity and anyway ITV, a commercial organisation, didn't do anything to try and spoil Eastenders' birthday week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On FX, True Blood was getting 600k - I think Sky would take that. But then again, if Sky are really following the path laid out by HBO - it's not all about ratings. Sky want Mad Men because it's a 3 time Emmy Award winner for Outstanding Drama - they know it's not a ratings powerhouse.

I think it's a long term thing as well. If you put all these shows in one place, the likelihood is that they'll start to bring each other up over time and build interest in the channel as a whole - though it's always destined to remain a niche channel. And of course, it will take time for hits to filter through from HBO & Showtime.

I do think they should have made it advert free. This is mainly for marketing purposes after all with the aim that Sky can boast a channel that is "home to the best drama in the world". We know it's not going to get huge ratings so having it ad free would be a good marketing gimmick.

Of course, their UK output strategy will be key as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    From Daybreak's Twitter.

Any ideas?

I get the impression that ITV will be throwing 'celebrities' at Daybreak left, right and centre to try and get viewers to watch. A very lazy and patronising thing to do, which for some reason, TV producers in this country seem to love doing lately. :yawn:
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    With September now over, the weeknight 9pm slot average for the month was:

BBC1- 4.8m (Sep '09: 4.9m)
    ITV1- 4.1m (4.2m)

BBC1 outrated ITV1 in the slot by the same margin as last year, although both channels were down 0.1m year-on-year.

The overall 2010 weeknight 9pm slot averages currently stand at:

BBC1- 4.6m (Jan-Sep '09: 4.7m)
    ITV1- 4.2m (4.2m)

BBC1 lead the 9pm averages by 0.4m. Although ITV has I'm a Celebrity in November, I think +0.4m should be enough for BBC1 to keep the 9pm top spot come the end of the year especially with the return of The Apprentice and 4 more episodes of New Tricks.

BBC1 is very consistent throughout the week, with all days averaging between 4.2-4.8m. Their strongest weeknight 9pm slot is Fridays with 4.8m, due to the dramas they've aired this year. It's been a good turnaround there because in 2008 and 2009, Fridays used to be their second weakest night for the 9pm slot. ITV1 is more erratic, with Mondays and Wednesdays averaging 5.0m but the others averaging below 4m (Tuesday as low as 3.4m). If there's one positive for ITV1, it's that they've closed the 9pm gap on BBC1 in the last couple of years; the gap between the two broadcasters at this same stage in 2008 was 0.9m.
    Interesting stuff. Im guessing these only take into account overnights? Will you amend the figures to take into account officials as that can make a big difference in today's climate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC came out on top in premiere week in the demographic of Adults 18-49 with annual income of $100,000 or more.

#1 - ABC - 3.2
    #2 - CBS - 2.9
    #3 - NBC - 2.4
    #4 - FOX - 2.4

ABC also won among viewers with four or more years of college education.

#1 - ABC - 3.4
    #2 - CBS - 3.0
    #3 - NBC - 2.7
    #4 - FOX - 2.4

FOX did have the top show in the "$100k A18-49" demo - Glee with an 8.5 was well ahead of second place Modern Family which had a 6.9. Six of the top 15 were on ABC - in addition to Modern Family they had both episodes of DWTS , Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and Cougar Town. The highest on NBC was The Office (6.7) and the highest on CBS was The Big Bang Theory (5.5).

Comedies were #1 for every network (if we accept Glee is a comedy rather than a drama).

More Info

ABC are also claiming success for No Ordinary Family - which had the greatest concentration of "family viewing" of any show on TV this season. It also scored a solid 3.2 rating among adults 18-49 despite a tough timeslot.
  • open_endedopen_ended Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    How pregnant is Kat Slater? Could she drop the sprog on Corrie birthday week? Or will the producers be saving that for Christmas?

Eastenders gets a spare episode courtesy of Children In Need night (Nov 19) but I doubt the BBC would do anything to try and spoil Corrie's party. That would just earn them lots of bad publicity and anyway ITV, a commercial organisation, didn't do anything to try and spoil Eastenders' birthday week.
    I think ITV will be keeping Corrie away from EE. Such a big month for Corrie will provide ample opportunity to clash the two shows with Corrie emerging victorious and it's a tempting proposition, but they will want as many viewers as possible. At the very least, for the live ep itself, they will be hoping to match the 21 million viewers (aggregated) who tuned in for EE's live episode.
  • open_endedopen_ended Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a279713/itv-confirms-corrie-50th-specials.html

50th Anniversary Week, week beginning 6th December
    - Coronation Street: The Big 50 (1 x 90 minutes)
    - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (2 x 60 minutes)

At a guess, 50 Years, 50 Moments will be on the Thursday and Friday with The Big 50 maybe on the Sunday. Maybe:

Sunday 5th December
    20:00 - The X Factor
    21:00 - I'm a Celebrity... Coming Out!

Monday 6th December
    20:00 - normal programming
    20:30 - Coronation Street: The Big 50

Tuesday 7th December
    19:30 - Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
    20:30 - The Road to Coronation Street
    - technically BBC, but given its an ITV Studios production, surely it can be adapted for ITV1 transmission?

Wednesday 8th December
    19:30 - UEFA Champions League Live

Thursday 9th December
    20:00 - Coronation Street Live
    21:00 - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (1/2)

Friday 10th December
    20:00 - The X Factor Final Preview*
    20:30 - Coronation Street
    21:00 - Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments (2/2)

* come on, this is ITV we're on about, I'm surprised we didn't get a Final Preview last year!
    Do ITV have the rights to show TRTCS. It was made for the BBC so surely they have the repeat rights. I'm not sure ITV productions making it will make much difference unless there was a clause in the contract that it could be shown on ITV around the time of the anniversary.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Interesting stuff. Im guessing these only take into account overnights? Will you amend the figures to take into account officials as that can make a big difference in today's climate?
    Yep, they're the overnights. Can't do an official 9pm average because some programmes don't chart in the BARB Top 30s so we don't have their official rating.
This discussion has been closed.