Options

Matt Baker confirmed as new host of The One Show (Merged)

sonnytsonnyt Posts: 974
Forum Member
✭✭
Matt Baker wins The One Show Job

Nov 28 2010 by Jessica Boulton, The People

STRICTLY Come Dancing star Matt Baker was last night confirmed as full-time host of The One Show.

He has quit as Countryfile presenter to take the job alongside Alex Jones.

The married 32-year-old will replace Jason Manford, who quit the BBC1 show after four months when he was exposed for having *cybersex with 12 girls *behind his wife’s back.

Ex-Blue Peter star Matt stood in for three shows this week and has beaten Chris Hollins and Matt Allwright to the permanent role.

He will be officially *unveiled next week. A BBC source said: “Matt’s been a big hit with the viewers. He deserved the big break.”

Chris Evans will stay as Friday host, with Matt *doing Monday to Thursday. It means he won’t go on next year’s Strictly tour.

http://www.people.co.uk/celebs-tv/celebrities/2010/11/28/matt-baker-wins-the-one-show-job-102039-22745266/?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4cf212069ad33f35,0

Comments

• Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope he doesn't have Skype or Twitter then.:D
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    for some reason i cant take to him & i cant put my finger on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will be officially *unveiled next week.

So it hasn't actually been confirmed then has it?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him more before he did Strictly.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »

I think it's the blue peter thing maybe..they're always nicey nice and sickly sweet..it's a bit like disney tv people..they always come across as sickly sweet..u can never believe that somebody can be like that in real life
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised he has quit CountryFile!!
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »

And me. That would be my dream job.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonnyt wrote: »
    Matt Baker wins The One Show Job

Nov 28 2010 by Jessica Boulton, The People

STRICTLY Come Dancing star Matt Baker was last night confirmed as full-time host of The One Show.

He has quit as Countryfile presenter to take the job alongside Alex Jones.

The married 32-year-old will replace Jason Manford, who quit the BBC1 show after four months when he was exposed for having *cybersex with 12 girls *behind his wife’s back.

Ex-Blue Peter star Matt stood in for three shows this week and has beaten Chris Hollins and Matt Allwright to the permanent role.

He will be officially *unveiled next week. A BBC source said: “Matt’s been a big hit with the viewers. He deserved the big break.”

Chris Evans will stay as Friday host, with Matt *doing Monday to Thursday. It means he won’t go on next year’s Strictly tour.

http://www.people.co.uk/celebs-tv/celebrities/2010/11/28/matt-baker-wins-the-one-show-job-102039-22745266/?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4cf212069ad33f35,0

Why will Chris Evans stay as Friday host ? He's a guaranteed audience-loser. Incidentally this ''confirmation'' was in some papers last week !
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's quitting Countryfile? Nooooooooooo! :( That's the worst news I've had all week. Boo.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At 32 he was too old for Countryfile: The Next Generation anyway. The BBC are initiating a "No-one over 18" policy for presenters as of next year. John Craven is being encouraged to consider Dignitas as his final career move.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a good BBC boy. He does what the BBC tells him to do.

He knows which side his bread is buttered. Christine Bleakley didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Why will Chris Evans stay as Friday host ? He's a guaranteed audience-loser. !

No he's not. Take a look at the Barb website, sometimes the Friday show rates higher than the other nights. How come?;)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he's not. Take a look at the Barb website, sometimes the Friday show rates higher than the other nights. How come?;)

I've looked back over the last few weeks on BARB and at no stage does the Friday show rate as the highest of the week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    He's quitting Countryfile? Nooooooooooo! :( That's the worst news I've had all week. Boo.

Just think, more airtime for Julia 'God, I'm Wonderful' Bradbury. :(

Still, Matts the best of the 3 mentioned by the OP imo.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just think, more airtime for Julia 'God, I'm Wonderful' Bradbury. :(.

They will draft in a new presenter though won't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    At 32 he was too old for Countryfile: The Next Generation anyway. The BBC are initiating a "No-one over 18" policy for presenters as of next year. John Craven is being encouraged to consider Dignitas as his final career move.

LOL. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    They will draft in a new presenter though won't they?

The BBC should give John Craven a larger role, should he want it. Somehow I don't think Miriam O Reilly will be reprising her role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I've looked back over the last few weeks on BARB and at no stage does the Friday show rate as the highest of the week.

But nor does it rate lowest each week as the post I was replying to suggested, therefore not "a guaranteed rating loser". :)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC should give John Craven a larger role, should he want it. Somehow I don't think Miriam O Reilly will be reprising her role.

I think John Craven will have the sense to consider himself "large enough" as he is.

Countryfile is now really mostly "Blue Peter for adult dummies."
    The presenters have to be young and reasonably fit to "do stuff" on the end of a rope and not look silly. Even then, they often fail.
    The BBC learned their lesson when they unnecessarily had seventy year-old David Dimbleby on the end of a rope up in the rafters of a church in one of his programmes, he looked like a bag of laundry, but it was funny, not the intended result I guess.

I only record Countryfile to watch Adam's Farm, though he (or the BBC) sees his role progressively as more of an "in your face" presenter than farmer and the programme is lesser for it.

I've seen on TV enough young presenters, splitting slates, throwing pots, etc., (often long before they were born) to last a lifetime.
    Why do they sometimes try to give the impression that it's never been done before?

I s'pose it'll become "Julia Bradbury's Countryfile," as it is "Fiona Bruce's Antique Roadshow" where we often have to suffer unnecessarily, her "grinning meerkat face" four times in the hour.

As I said elsewhere, Matt Baker may well soon be on our screens as frequently as was once Michael Barrymore, until some were heartily sick of him.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »

Wasn't putting his finger on it what got Jason Manford into trouble?? :D
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I think he's overrated as a presenter, much like Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley were.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the guests, I can't recall who, kept making jokes about Matt being on his job interview the other night.. was rather amusing. Alex Jones was trying her best to keep a straight face.

I actually quite like Alex Jones now.. I don't think the one show has suffered Adrian and Christine leaving.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider "The One Show" as about at the same level as a.m. magazine programmes, only suitable for those who have nothing better (or are physically unable) to do anything other than watch TV at that time of the day.

Sad really, in both cases. Only one category has my sympathy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god Chris Hollins didn't get the job. Can't stand him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I consider "The One Show" as about at the same level as a.m. magazine programmes, only suitable for those who have nothing better (or are physically unable) to do anything other than watch TV at that time of the day.

Sad really, in both cases. Only one category has my sympathy.

I must admit, I don't watch it unless I see a snatched 5 mins when I'm scrolling though the TV. I agree with you to a certain extent as it's a light magazine show, similar to the contant most apparent in breakfast TV schedules. (Mind you, I listen to the radio in the morning and haven't seen breakfast TV in a while but I doubt it's changed v much!)