Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    From the sound of it, it doesn't appear that he's entirely thought through Plan A.
    I'm probably a deeply cynical and suspicious person, but I still have visions of PA sweeping in with a cheque "from himself" to save the day at the eleventh hour - tons of positive publicity for him without him actually having to put in too much effort.

I'm sorry I know this is a serious subject but BIB really made me laugh for some reason!:D
    With regards to your cynicism towards PA I'd say it was perfectly understandable.
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    I just took a quick look at http://www.peterandre.com/foundation/

I am amazed that he says that his charity is going to be taking over the funding of these mobile units:eek: I had the privilege of attending last year's Emerald & Ivy Ball in London. The evening was hosted and organised by Ronan Keating as it has been since the start (2006) and that night a total of almost £1 million pound was raised for the mobile units to keep them on the road for another year. I think its a little underhanded of Peter Andre to "highjack" the roadshow and make out that his little justgiving's page is going to be funding all the units. By all means raise money to donate to them, but to make out he is taking them over is unbelieveable:confused: It sounds like he is trying to take credit for something Ronan has been doing for years! :rolleyes:

It sounds as if he has collaborated with CR and the conclusion is to support/fund one of the existing buses. I'm hazarding a guess that CR were approached and that's the suggestion and aim they would feel would benefit the charity the most, in a focused and goal driven fashion.....I think this talk of hijacking and being underhand just plain odd and pretty spiteful.
    How he continues does remain to be seen, but he has run marathons before albeit in the shadow of the plastic hop along, so no reason not to think he may do another.
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, that's fine and fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that he could have announced at least one thing he's planning on doing as part of the launch! It's just common sense, to immediately engage with your potential donor, to generate interest, to show up front that you're hands-on and not just expecting people to donate because you're asking them. (I'm not saying he's doing that, I'm just saying what it could look like...)

I understand you like him, Sensei, but surely you must be able to see why it is that people are so sceptical of him?

I do appreciate your point of view Lexi and agree that the launch could have been better and they would build more confidence by either giving a schedule of events or an indication of how they plan to raise the money. I'm convinced there are plans and ideas so hopefully they'll be revealed soon. But I do think Pete has a good record with charities. He's chosen a select few, built good relationships over a number of years and raised substantial amounts for them so I don't think it's altogether fair to be sceptical about his commitment.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with the first line of your last post .... I myself have made a donation and do hope it works out because I want it to help others survive such a dreadful disease .. this foundation seems a bit knee jerk to me ..and I think Peter (after his comment re:Claire wouldn't give him time off etc) isn't comfortable with this idea yet and maybe that's why he hasn't gone all guns blazing yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it may be the opposite to knee-jerk Betty as it sounds like he started his relationship with CR and the planning for the Ball when Andrew was responding well to treatment. So the energy behind the project at the time must have been optimistic. It must have been difficult when that was shattered and the project became more about marking Andrew's death rather than celebrating his survival. That's just my reading of it - may be completely wrong! I've been fundraising for CR for years so I'll divert my little bit into the Foundation to help out. Both my parents were too late for treatment when first diagnosed and died within months so I think this work is vital.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SenseiSam
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with the first line of your last post .... I myself have made a donation and do hope it works out because I want it to help others survive such a dreadful disease .. this foundation seems a bit knee jerk to me ..and I think Peter (after his comment re:Claire wouldn't give him time off etc) isn't comfortable with this idea yet and maybe that's why he hasn't gone all guns blazing yet

I've donated too BB.

When you have lost someone to this disease it can take time to sink in what cancer does to people and the people left behind especially when you think they are responding to treatment, it gets your hopes up and you make all sorts of plans.

Give him time to get his head round what has happened and I think he will go in all guns blazing. I think he did get pushed into doing it a bit too soon bless.

For the first 6mths after I lost my mum I would cross the road if I saw one of those street charity thugs (as I like to call them) in case they nabbed me (I ALWAYS get caught by them!) and they made me sign up to giving donations to a cancer charity as I couldn't bear to hear the words.
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    I think it may be the opposite to knee-jerk Betty as it sounds like he started his relationship with CR and the planning for the Ball when Andrew was responding well to treatment. So the energy behind the project at the time must have been optimistic. It must have been difficult when that was shattered and the project became more about marking Andrew's death rather than celebrating his survival. That's just my reading of it - may be completely wrong! I've been fundraising for CR for years so I'll divert my little bit into the Foundation to help out. Both my parents were too late for treatment when first diagnosed and died within months so I think this work is vital.

Sam.....so sorry to hear that. I think we all sadly have been touched by this one way or another...having myself had a teenage brother with advanced lymphoma / he suffered many "minor" symptoms for some time before he told my parents, saw a doctor and was diagnosed
    Any help to make signs and symptoms more readily available and the opportunity to speak with someone about a symptom we may otherwise ignore is a good thing....who knows if he had access to such a facility he may have engaged with it and things could have been different.
    RIP to all those that we have loved and lost and let's celebrate all those doing so well and the advancements being made everday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam.....so sorry to hear that. I think we all sadly have been touched by this one way or another...having myself had a teenage brother with advanced lymphoma / he suffered many "minor" symptoms for some time before he told my parents, saw a doctor and was diagnosed
    Any help to make signs and symptoms more readily available and the opportunity to speak with someone about a symptom we may otherwise ignore is a good thing....who knows if he had access to such a facility he may have engaged with it and things could have been different.
    RIP to all those that we have loved and lost and let's celebrate all those doing so well and the advancements being made everday.

That's a beautiful sentiment fifi :) So sorry about your bro, as you say this touches all of us in some way at some time and it's terrible to think about the 'what ifs'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam
    Maybe the words "knee jerk" is wrong .. Maybe he felt a little pushed into setting it up..sooner than he was ready
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    I've donated too BB.

When you have lost someone to this disease it can take time to sink in what cancer does to people and the people left behind especially when you think they are responding to treatment, it gets your hopes up and you make all sorts of plans.

Give him time to get his head round what has happened and I think he will go in all guns blazing. I think he did get pushed into doing it a bit too soon bless.

For the first 6mths after I lost my mum I would cross the road if I saw one of those street charity thugs (as I like to call them) in case they nabbed me (I ALWAYS get caught by them!) and they made me sign up to giving donations to a cancer charity as I couldn't bear to hear the words.

I agree. Everyone handles loss differently and it's not always rational.

I lost a work colleague to skin cancer aged 39. For a while afterwards, I became irrationally p*ssed off with the younger girls at work using sunbeds. I felt like shouting 'did what happened to her not serve as a warning to you?' but then realised you can't tell people how to live their lives.
    I still get irritated by people who knew her going on sunbeds but it's not my place to tell them what they can and can't do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't object to the words Betty just think that it had been planned for a while but then circumstances changed. I agree perhaps he didn't feel ready for the launch but they've got to crack on with it in order to raise the money for this year so hopefully they'll start building up a head of steam soon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never bought into the CP conspiracy theories but I must admit when I read that she convinced PA not to take six months off in order to raise awareness I did feel some contempt for her... grief is such a personal and desperate thing... it lurks in every corner of your life and it has to be dealt with by the person suffering it... the danger of jumping into something like this so soon after such a traumatic loss is that you are focused on the illness rather than your loss... and in my experience most grieving people would jump at the chance to do something/anything to save anyone else from going through this loss... and yes I know PA is 40 years old and capable of making his own decisions... I just feel it would be all to easy to manipulate anybody under these circumstances... I genuinely hope he is receiving grief counseling and is being given the time he needs... as repressed grief can lead to some serious problems.

I wonder if the reason this is not named after Andrew is anything to do with his wife and daughter?.. maybe they would like something more local to them?.. maybe they are not ready to see his name all over the press?..

If PA can fund one of these buses for a year good for him... it is a service that could save many lives and his motivation is clearly his brother and not publicity... although he clearly needs the latter to raise funds... I cannot see what is wrong with the page on his website... why would anyone expect to find advice on spotting cancer on the website of a celebrity?.. it is obviously better sought from people with experience on the subject.

Disclaimer... I am not a PA fan but I find the grief he is getting for this fund raising absolutely bizarre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LAO
    I also feel CP was unreasonable to tell Peter he shouldn't have the time off and maybe he is so Vunerable right now he doesn't have the desire to put his foot down..
    Andrews wife is back in Australia so wouldn't of seen the press here ..
    No one is slating the idea of the foundation just the way it's being handled .. As fr the info ..I can only speak for myself..I expected the page to have more about andrew and his battle and maybe the symptoms so others might read and spot them in themselves .. There is a link but it's at the end and not everyone reads the last bits ..
    I don't blame Peter for the page he won't of set it up so others need to maybe give it an overhaul and make it about Andrew
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disclaimer... I am not a PA fan but I find the grief he is getting for this fund raising absolutely bizarre.

That's the crux of the problem though, there is no 'raising' of any funds - seemingly zero effort on Peter's behalf. Just a badly written, misleading webpage expecting us all to donate in his name while he looks all saintly setting up a 'Foundation'...which doesn't really mean anything as it's not even a charity. What happened to the charity single Robbin Gibb penned? The Ball? It just seems like a bunch of half-baked ideas more about publicity than cancer.

Like Lexi pointed out....if you're going to set up this kind of thing, you start with a sacrifice that encourages and inspires people.I take no pleasure in criticising charity, especially a cancer charity but I'm afraid it just looks like more saintly fronting from Peter with no substance, dedication, effort or love. I hoped it would be different, but it just seems like cancer is just another thing in the long line of things PA will exploit to make himself look good..and cancer deserves better, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never bought into the CP conspiracy theories but I must admit when I read that she convinced PA not to take six months off in order to raise awareness I did feel some contempt for her... grief is such a personal and desperate thing... it lurks in every corner of your life and it has to be dealt with by the person suffering it... the danger of jumping into something like this so soon after such a traumatic loss is that you are focused on the illness rather than your loss... and in my experience most grieving people would jump at the chance to do something/anything to save anyone else from going through this loss... and yes I know PA is 40 years old and capable of making his own decisions... I just feel it would be all to easy to manipulate anybody under these circumstances... I genuinely hope he is receiving grief counseling and is being given the time he needs... as repressed grief can lead to some serious problems.

I wonder if the reason this is not named after Andrew is anything to do with his wife and daughter?.. maybe they would like something more local to them?.. maybe they are not ready to see his name all over the press?..

If PA can fund one of these buses for a year good for him... it is a service that could save many lives and his motivation is clearly his brother and not publicity... although he clearly needs the latter to raise funds... I cannot see what is wrong with the page on his website... why would anyone expect to find advice on spotting cancer on the website of a celebrity?.. it is obviously better sought from people with experience on the subject.

It's refreshing to read such a genuinely compassionate post LAO. Pete said a couple of episodes back that he was having grief counselling and finding it helpful but whether he's getting the time he needs is more questionable. I do think he wanted to take a break and was persuaded otherwise. Perhaps the fact that his early career slipped away as a result of his anxiety problems makes him more susceptible to arguments that he can't afford to stop.

Possibly keeping active by getting back to work has been therapeutic but I wish they hadn't focussed so much on his grief as that's all too evident without needing to be laboured and has left him open to hurtful criticism. Agree with you on some of the postings. I've never been tempted by the ignore facility before as I usually think it's important to hear what people have to say even if you don't agree with it but have to admit I've started to deploy it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    I just took a quick look at http://www.peterandre.com/foundation/

I am amazed that he says that his charity is going to be taking over the funding of these mobile units:eek: I had the privilege of attending last year's Emerald & Ivy Ball in London. The evening was hosted and organised by Ronan Keating as it has been since the start (2006) and that night a total of almost £1 million pound was raised for the mobile units to keep them on the road for another year. I think its a little underhanded of Peter Andre to "highjack" the roadshow and make out that his little justgiving's page is going to be funding all the units. By all means raise money to donate to them, but to make out he is taking them over is unbelieveable:confused: It sounds like he is trying to take credit for something Ronan has been doing for years! :rolleyes:

I agree, thats exactly the way he is coming across, and I just cant help recall how he appointed himself as part of the jackson family when he used the royal "we" havent decided yet" term when asked what he thought the jacksons might do in memorial of michaels passing, Im finding this crystal ball very confusing too seeing as it appears to have been cancelled 3 times, the last time, 4 months after his brothers death would have been totally understandable had he not gone back to the stage to promote himself rather than his brothers cause.
    His foundation page might only be being sited on his fan site to kick it off, but why :confused: why with his money and contacts would he need to do that, as DB posts "cancer deserves better" and so does Andrew rather than to be placed on a fan site along with sales, galleries and tour dates !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the crux of the problem though, there is no 'raising' of any funds - seemingly zero effort on Peter's behalf. Just a badly written, misleading webpage expecting us all to donate in his name while he looks all saintly setting up a 'Foundation'...which doesn't really mean anything as it's not even a charity. What happened to the charity single Robbin Gibb penned? The Ball? It just seems like a bunch of half-baked ideas more about publicity than cancer.

Like Lexi pointed out....if you're going to set up this kind of thing, you start with a sacrifice that encourages and inspires people.I take no pleasure in criticising charity, especially a cancer charity but I'm afraid it just looks like more saintly fronting from Peter with no substance, dedication, effort or love. I hoped it would be different, but it just seems like cancer is just another thing in the long line of things PA will exploit to make himself look good..and cancer deserves better, IMO.

I don't agree with you primarily because I do not think PA has had time to get his head straight since his brothers death... imo he should not even have attempted this for at least six months... in order to give this kind of endeavour the priority it needs you need to have at least five good days in seven I very much doubt PA is at that stage yet.

I absolutely do not believe PA is doing this for the publicity... imo he genuinely believes that this is the best way to fight back at cancer... I cannot say the same thing about his management in these circumstances.

I also strongly disagree with the criticism about the web page... PA is in no way shape or form qualified to give information about how to spot the symptoms of cancer... he is absolutely right to link to professionals who know exactly what they are talking about.

PA is a twonk no doubt about it... but currently as a grieving twonk I am prepared to cut him some slack... he has been promoting this excellent charity idea for a couple of weeks... perhaps people should wait a touch longer before pointing and screaming exploiter?
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with you primarily because I do not think PA has had time to get his head straight since his brothers death... imo he should not have even attempted this for at least six months... in order to give this kind of endeavour the priority it needs you need to have at least five good days in seven I very much doubt PA is at that stage yet.
    ?

So why didn't he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LAO
    I agree with you about Peters management..I feel they have tapped into his grief and are using it for their own ends ..(I.e. Peter makes money from bookings etc so therefore they do) but Peter is a grown man and he can say no..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why didn't he?

He has answered that question... instead of allowing him time to grieve he was offered the chance of raising awareness... kicking back at this terrible disease... I do not care if you are 14 or 40 the majority of people who have lost someone to cancer would jump at the chance to do that... especially in the early days when the grief is overwhelming... or he already had this on the table with Cancer Research and did not want to let them down... either way he has not made this decision from a good place and that could explain how dithery he is.

Cancer Research seem perfectly happy to work with PA on this without all the worry about him exploiting them and hijacking their campaign... but what would they know?
  • s.castles.castle Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    LAO
    I agree with you about Peters management..I feel they have tapped into his grief and are using it for their own ends ..(I.e. Peter makes money from bookings etc so therefore they do) but Peter is a grown man and he can say no..

Whether he can say no or not depends on the contract he has with them.

While, looking at my posts, it might seem that I don't like Peter Andre, I actually have no problem with him personally. In fact, he actually reminds me of one of my friends, right down to the fact that both seem to play the victim to some extent. In fact, my friend would never admit to this, but he uses that ability on the ladies with a lot of success. I suspect PA does the same.

I am uncomfortable with the fact that he is happy to cash in on his kids, and other members, but in his defence, he may be stuck in a contract where that's required. While I don't like her, his manager is good at her job. She is that good at her job that I'd be surprised if Peter Andre wasn't very tightly controlled by his contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S.Castle
    No matter how tight his contract is ..surely anything he had planned could of been delayed for a few months to allow the man to grieve properly.. I don't think anyone would of had a problem with him saying "sorry I need time away to get myself through this tough time" anyone who did should be ashamed of themselves ..and his management of all people should understand that more than anyone
  • s.castles.castle Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    S.Castle
    No matter how tight his contract is ..surely anything he had planned could of been delayed for a few months to allow the man to grieve properly.. I don't think anyone would of had a problem with him saying "sorry I need time away to get myself through this tough time" anyone who did should be ashamed of themselves ..and his management of all people should understand that more than anyone

Personally, I agree..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s.castle wrote: »
    Personally, I agree..

I do think sometimes his management need to remember he employs them .. Not the other way round.. That's what happens though when you work closely with friends ..it's harder to say no
  • Thommo1234Thommo1234 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    very interesting thread,and thats from a huge fan of Pete's,
    we are new on here but looked at the Katie Price thread first and was so angry at the way she was abused with no real reasons apart from that shes a tar*/shes a sla* and im afraid left a post that was deleted so we'll start again,
    now this thread about arguments about a foundation my partner and I have been reading with interest now my partner thinks you are been quite hard on Pete so soon after he's lost his sibling but i..Hmmm..i can see both sides but one thing we can all fully agree with was that Pete should of taken 6 months off like he wanted,ive never been keen on his management after the way they acted towards Kate when she left them and Pete also could do with getting way from CAN too,he's a good guy,i do believe if he'd of been stronger and had stuck by his wife not his manager then they both could of sorted what issues they had and could of worked through it.
This discussion has been closed.