Options

Other People's Breast Milk

124»

Comments

• Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it too - and i was interested in the show. My husband couldnt stand the thought of watching it .... and i forgot to set the recorder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the girl who enjoyed the strawberries and cream near the end was Lara Belmont from The War Zone (Tim Roth).

I don't find other peoples breast milk disgusting per se. I can understand why the gay couple pay for it...and also if the man who had cancer believes it is beneficial then more power to him.

I don't really like the idea of cross-feeding, and I think allowing a 4 or 5 year old to feed is rather selfish and detrimental to the child's development.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Im just quite surprised that they didnt really mention the health risks of giving your baby other peoples breast milk...ie HIV:eek:
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Im just quite surprised that they didnt really mention the health risks of giving your baby other peoples breast milk...ie HIV:eek:

Well that would only be a problem if the person breast feeding had HIV now wouldn't it. You can't magic HIV out of breast milk you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Well that would only be a problem if the person breast feeding had HIV now wouldn't it. You can't magic HIV out of breast milk you know!

Where did I say that HIV could magically appear?:rolleyes:
    Are the mums who wet nurse regularly checked? I'm not sure. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member

Those on the last night said they regularly were.

*rolls eyes*
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

You cannot pass on HIV from breast feeding, the virus is destryed by acid in the stomach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You cannot pass on HIV from breast feeding, the virus is destryed by acid in the stomach.

Wrong!
    http://www.avert.org/aids.htm

As for the op,yes I know those who donate breast milk are routinely monitored...what about those mums who let their friends breastfeed their children?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Im still quite shocked how some people are unaware of how the virus is passed on:eek:Ok,if you think the virus is destroyed by stomach acids....hypothetically...what if the baby had an open cut in their mouth/gum? Also gonorea,TB and syphallis can be passed on through breastmilk....scary thought!!
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    I just didnt like that programme at all
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite shocked by some of the reactions to this.

What really surprises me is that some people seem to think it's okay to drink the breast milk of another mammal (which is always unnatural) but wrong to drink the breast milk of the same species (which is completely natural for babies and infants).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I'm really glad I watched the show.

I'm pregnant with my first baby and I've been feeling a bit squeamish about breastfeeding. Now I've watched the show I'm feeling much better about it and I'm really hoping to be able to breastfeed my baby and donate any excess if possible.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was better than I expected after some dodgy promos. I thought Kate Garraway did a good job as a presenter and interviewer on the show.

I was a little disappointed when one mother offered Kate a feed but then only pulled out a bottle for her. <boo>;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    I was a little disappointed when one mother offered Kate a feed but then only pulled out a bottle for her. <boo>;)

lol :D:D:D

The whole thing reminded me of a joke Richard Digance made on stage a while back, when he said that his mother used to breastfeed him. "The only problem was she used to rub Vic ointment on her chest. At least I didn't get a cold for 16 years.." :D:D:D