Options

People who spend too much money on clothes!!

DarkJediDarkJedi Posts: 321
Forum Member
I went with my friend to town today and he said he wanted to do a "bit" of shopping. I assumed he just wanted a shirt or two. So we go into this shop (can't remember which one :confused:) and he comes out with, a shirt (one of those neon blue skinny one's you see teenagers wearing), trousers (skinny black jeans) and some of those "converse" or whatever shoes that are made out of cotton and look like they will fall apart if they were used in the rain.

Altogether for those four articles of clothing he spent.... £90!!!. I mean come on. I came out looking like a cheap bast@rd and completely shocked as to how much he had spent. Then we go Selfridges and he spent another £100 on these shirts with skinny ties. Now I mean come on.... He's 15 years old and he spent nearly £200 on a shopping trip. And he said to me that he usually spends more. Oh and he also bought 4 pairs of briefs which were £5 each!! :eek::eek:

Do you know people who spend obscene amounts on clothes? I mean this was just ridiculous.

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't spend anything like that in an average year!
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    you know, if people want to spend that much money on clothes then so be it

its not up to me to agree or disagree on what people spend their money on whether or not they have earned it or been given it as long as they can afford it then whats the problem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarkJedi wrote: »
    I went with my friend to town today and he said he wanted to do a "bit" of shopping. I assumed he just wanted a shirt or two. So we go into this shop (can't remember which one :confused:) and he comes out with, a shirt (one of those neon blue skinny one's you see teenagers wearing), trousers (skinny black jeans) and some of those "converse" or whatever shoes that are made out of cotton and look like they will fall apart if they were used in the rain.

Altogether for those four articles of clothing he spent.... £90!!!. I mean come on. I came out looking like a cheap bast@rd and completely shocked as to how much he had spent. Then we go Selfridges and he spent another £100 on these shirts with skinny ties. Now I mean come on.... He's 15 years old and he spent nearly £200 on a shopping trip. And he said to me that he usually spends more. Oh and he also bought 4 pairs of briefs which were £5 each!! :eek::eek:

Do you know people who spend obscene amounts on clothes? I mean this was just ridiculous.

It's not your money so why is it too much and why is it your business?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    If he earns the money himself and can afford to, fair enough. But at 15 years old, I'm guessing he has wealthy parents?

I'm quite envious, I wish I could afford to go out and spend that much money on a whim!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just the fact that it is ridiculous to be spending that amount of money on clothes every week. Its stupid. You could probably find the same clothing at half the price, but yet people choose to shop with certain "brands"...

And no he hasn't got wealthy parents just generous ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 on a shopping trip isn't THAT bad preusming he just does a few big clothes shops a year.

& was the shop perhaps Topman that you went in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is "bubbly's" post not showing?? Yet on the forum it says they have posted???
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    you sound jealous to me OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bubbly♥ wrote: »
    £200 on a shopping trip isn't THAT bad preusming he just does a few big clothes shops a year.

& was the shop perhaps Topman that you went in?

No it was Island something.

No, not a year, a month or a week, or whenever he goes out. Last time I went (last week) he spent £50 and I just thought he was doing his seasonally or w.e shop. But he told me that he spend that + a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevalyan wrote: »
    you sound jealous to me OP

Not really, my Primark clothes suit me fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bubbly♥ wrote: »
    double post.

A month. £200+
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the fact that it is ridiculous to be spending that amount of money on clothes every week. Its stupid. You could probably find the same clothing at half the price, but yet people choose to shop with certain "brands"...

And no he hasn't got wealthy parents just generous ones.

So now it's "every week"?

It's not ridiculous, you just think it's ridiculous for you.

Compare some Fred Perry, John Smedley, DNA Groove etc etc gear to a similar item from your local ASDA or Primark and you might realise why some people spend so much on clothes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it was Island something.

No, not a year, a month or a week, or whenever he goes out. Last time I went (last week) he spent £50 and I just thought he was doing his seasonally or w.e shop. But he told me that he spend that + a month.

River Island.

But still, it's not that much, jeans in there are getting on for £50! :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define too much?

If he earns enough to afford it then it's his business what he spends his money on.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good grief, that's not much money! I thought you were going to say a couple of hundred quid or something, but £90 for four items isn't bad at all! It's certainly not 'obscene' by any stretch of the imagination. Not being funny, but you sound rather old-fashioned and I suspect that when you were young, clothes cost a lot less - it's not quite like that any more! :)

Having said that, when I was a teenager, I didn't have anything like that many clothes - but again, times were different. I always had Saturday and holiday jobs and used to use that for clothes, I also used catalogues (where you could pay 'so much a week') and my parents used to chip in for 'big' items like coats etc. Kids do seem to have a lot more money and possessions these days - but believe me, the amounts you've quoted really aren't so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kolin38 wrote: »
    Define too much?

If he earns enough to afford it then it's his business what he spends his money on.

No his parents give it him.
    Good grief, that's not much money! I thought you were going to say a couple of hundred quid or something, but £90 for four items isn't bad at all! It's certainly not 'obscene' by any stretch of the imagination. Not being funny, but you sound rather old-fashioned and I suspect that when you were young, clothes cost a lot less - it's not quite like that any more! :)

Having said that, when I was a teenager, I didn't have anything like that many clothes - but again, times were different. I always had Saturday and holiday jobs and used to use that for clothes, I also used catalogues (where you could pay 'so much a week') and my parents used to chip in for 'big' items like coats etc. Kids do seem to have a lot more money and possessions these days - but believe me, the amounts you've quoted really aren't so much.

I'm the same age.... My time??!!!!?!? :eek::eek: His parents give it him. If I asked my parents that they would give me a clip round the ear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    River Island?

I'll admit I was a brand-**** at that age, it's a peer pressure thing. Everything had to be a designer label. Though I had to work/save for it myself, my Mum would've told me where to go if she saw the price tag!

When he's older, and hopefully learns the value of money, he'll grow out of it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ezenden wrote: »
    So now it's "every week"?

It's not ridiculous, you just think it's ridiculous for you.

Compare some Fred Perry, John Smedley, DNA Groove etc etc gear to a similar item from your local ASDA or Primark and you might realise why some people spend so much on clothes.

Theres nothing wrong with my Primark clothes.

It's not £200 every week. It's at least £30 every week. I'm on MSN to him now. And yes I think it was River Island.
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a lot of money to me if it's regular spending, but then if he has it to spend comfortably then who am I to judge?

I would maybe spend £300 - £400 a year in general, and if I had a special occasion I might buy something for that (like a new shirt and tie if I'm going to a wedding; I rarely wear either of my suits but they're classic cuts so they never look out of style). I can't really afford any more, but I'd rather by a few bits and pieces each season that will stand the test of time (the shirts I bought last autumn are trendy again this year, that sort of thing) than be constantly buying loads of clothes, wear them a few times, and replace them.

I also buy good boxers - Calvin Kleins are dear, but they last for ages before they need replaced without losing shape, colour, or support.

EDITED TO ADD - if I was his age and my parents were giving me that sort of budget though, I think I'd probably be shelling out on clothes left, right, and centre! Unfortunately I'm not his age and I don't have his parents to give me that budget, which is why I shop the way i do.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    Theres nothing wrong with my Primark clothes.

It's not £200 every week. It's at least £30 every week. I'm on MSN to him now. And yes I think it was River Island.

but not everyone wants to shop in primark and if they can afford to buy elsewhere then why not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I told him to save it and stuff he goes whats the point.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No his parents give it him.

Then he'll grow out of it when he has to start paying his own way. ;)
    There are worse things he could be spending his "pocket money" on.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm the same age.... My time??!!!!?!? :eek::eek: His parents give it him. If I asked my parents that they would give me a clip round the ear.

his parents are different to yours, and his are more generous - get over it! dont blame him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    his parents are different to yours, and his are more generous - get over it! dont blame him!

I'm not AT ALL blaming him. I'm just asking why is it most of the people I know who do get given these amounts of money by tier parents don't save it? They could easily buy some cheap alternative and stick the rest in a high interest bank account and save up for uni etc..