Options

Quantum Leap...

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me, or is there a slight religious sub text to quantum leap?

To a certain extent there is. Both Sam and Al thought there was ´something´ guiding their leaping, and along with the whole ´putting right what once went wrong´ thing.

It's not too overt though.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    To a certain extent there is. Both Sam and Al thought there was ´something´ guiding their leaping, and along with the whole ´putting right what once went wrong´ thing.

It's not too overt though.

Although in the episode "The Boogieman" the fake Al reveals himself to be the devil who has been putting wrong the things Sam puts right. Of course that then turns out to be a dream, but the implication is that Sam and QL are working for God.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Although in the episode "The Boogieman" the fake Al reveals himself to be the devil who has been putting wrong the things Sam puts right. Of course that then turns out to be a dream, but the implication is that Sam and QL are working for God.

I think that isn't so much a dream TBH and when he failed then he sent the evil leaper into action.

On that though In the Leap Home is getting to save his Brother God/Time/Whoever is doing it way of saying "Thank You"
  • Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the stories of Sam and Al were played out over five whole series (gradually finding out how they met, what drives them, who they have lost, and so on). The character development of QL is one of the things that made it great but it's an overlooked element of the show, often overshadowed by the sic-fi and drama.

I know it wasn't intended but that's the biggest reason I love the final episode so much
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    oh boy.
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I LOVED Quantum Leap, I have such a soft spot for it. Whilst typing this, my head is rattling with 'stepped into the quantum leap accelerator... and vanished!'. Ahhhhh.

But, it was of it's time, and with decreasing returns in creativity, I say no to a remake, it just wouldn't work in todays jaded age where the audience needs misery and relentless violence to hold its attention.

But I think something from the QL universe could work though. Maybe his daughter tries to rescue him, or leaping time has evolved into an industry.... but they shouldn't focus too much on the time travel beyond the format of the original show as that often ties a franchise into knots.

If they did something from the QL universe, the pivotal point is the 2 leads and the dynamic between them, there would have to be chemistry and spark, and the ability to bounce off one another with natural ease, that's a big part of the original. The 'Sam', would have to have great acting range as well.

ETA: if they did a male lead, maybe a female 'Al', who just like Al is a womaniser... err 'maniser', but without subtext of being a **** or a gold digger. That I would like. Could lead to all kinds of 'will they, won't they' stuff between the two leads that would bring a wider audience in.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Occasionally it did. Off the top of my head there was

The Leap Home Part 1 & 2 in which Sam tried to prevent his brother Tom first from going to Vietnam, then from dying there
    Trilogy, in which Sam leapt into the same town three times in a row trying to intervene in the tragic life of Abigail Fuller
    Return of the Evil Leaper and Revenge of the Evil Leaper, a double episode which continued and resolved the Evil Leaper story arc which began earlier in the series with Deliver Us From Evil (which itself was a continuation of the Jimmy LaMotta story).

I don't think the series would have benefitted from multiple episode story arcs all the time, they worked well because they added an air of grandeur when they did come around, but mostly the wrap it up in one episode format worked well. Besides which, even though most individual stories were wrapped up in a single episode, the stories of Sam and Al were played out over five whole series (gradually finding out how they met, what drives them, who they have lost, and so on). The character development of QL is one of the things that made it great but it's an overlooked element of the show, often overshadowed by the sic-fi and drama.

BiB - I tend to see this as a trilogy accompanied by MIA from the end of the second season. In that episode we have Al trying to get Sam to change history so he can stay married to Beth (with Sam acting as Moral Compass telling Al that they can't change history for personal gain). Then in the next episode, The Leap Home, the positions are reversed with Sam wanting to save his brothers life (and Al acting as the Moral Compass) which is then followed by The Leap Home Part 2 where Sam is trying to save his brother again and Al knowingly sacrifices his own freedom to let Sam get his wish.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been so much talk of reviving this show but nothing ever happens.

SyFy own the rights apparently (maybe enough said!) and in 2011 were talking of a movie that could spin off a new series. Don Bellasario had said he would only be interested if Scott Bakula was in it and both he and Al were to have cameos in the film that never happened.

Then. of course, there was the (pretty good and hit) 2011 movie Source Code that deliberately has QL themes in it. Indeed the producer, Duncan Jones acknowledged them and cheekily got Scott Bakula to play a cameo in the movie (voice only) in a minor key role where he even says the line 'Oh boy!' It was totally intentional as a nod to the QL inspiration.

In 2012 CBS were supposedly working on a Source Code TV series that would have been even more Quantum Leap like by the sound of it.

Not heard anything recently so that may have died a death.

There is a Quantum, Leap fan movie out there which is surprisingly good. It is set in 1997 and called 'A leap to Di for' - with Sam trying to stop Princess Diana's demise.

Very worth a look.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Seasons three and four have some of the show best and most ambitious episodes. Season five is universally regarded as the shark jumper

Totally; when they decided the 'rules' held it back and added in more famous bodies to be jumped and extended the jumps to his whole family tree rather than his lifetime then I became very sad...

Always love the arcs with Sam's brother, Al's first wife (Georgia...*sob*), the three part murder mystery and many more...
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syfy are showing Quantum Leap from the beginning starting on Monday at 8pm
  • Options
    retrodjretrodj Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Best TV show ever. Would love a reboot..(not a remake) to happen. Have all sesons on DVD. Never missed an episode when it was shown on BBC2 back in the early 90s.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Loved the original Quantum Leap, although there were some filler episodes that I didn't enjoy, one I remember off the top of my head is the vampire episode.

Not sure what I'd think to a remake, I wouldn't want John Barrowman anywhere near a remake!!!
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Donald Bellisario is one of American TVs greatest storytellers, he seems to get overlooked a lot and he's not even involved in NCIS anymore. I'm hoping that he has another great original concept left in him, he's never been afraid to write his characters as flawed and even realistic within a very fictional sci-fi/action setting.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    One of the best shows of all time. For me, in the top three episodes of all time is Return of the Evil Leaper, which has an ending to rival The Best of Both Worlds. I love the idea of good vs evil and the whole evil organisation was done perfectly (but there just wasn't enough of it for my liking). I loved all that stuff. I didn't feel it was jumping the shark but rather expanding the universe, which was just phenomenal stuff!

RIP QL. You'll always be a shining star in television history.

I'd love a continuation of the story. Bakula could still do it...
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had this on series record ready for a week or so now
    I checked it a few years ago and didn't think much but giving it another go

Lovely to see Syfy showing different shows for once. They repeated Firefly a little while ago, showed twin peaks late last month/most of this month and now this. All they ever show is the star trek shows or reruns of The originals, eureka, lost girl or Haven or those terrible late night movies. I hope more shows follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    I think Donald Bellisario is one of American TVs greatest storytellers, he seems to get overlooked a lot and he's not even involved in NCIS anymore. I'm hoping that he has another great original concept left in him, he's never been afraid to write his characters as flawed and even realistic within a very fictional sci-fi/action setting.

Yes, I agree about Bellisario. There is really a sort of continuity of his originated shows from Magnum, through Quantum Leap (where a crossover with Magnum was being planned when it was axed), and in a sense onto JAG, NCIS, NCIS: LA and now NCIS: New Orleans - the last 4 shows of which all launched as episodes of the previous series (though NCIS: New Orleans was in NCIS not NCIS: LA).

'Al' has also appeared in major roles in the JAG/NCIS series and now Scott Bakula is the lead in NCIS: New Orleans that has started really well in the ratings in the states.

I guess this might preclude a Quantum Leap revival sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who have never seen Source Code, the excellent 2011 movie partly inspired by Quantum Leap and with a nod and wink included voice only cameo from 'Oh Boy' Scott Bakula (see my post higher up this page) it is on More 4 next Thursday night (30 October).

If you are a Quantum Leap fan and you have never seen it then you are in for a treat.It is an excellent movie like pretty much everything done by Duncan (Zowie Bowie) Jones. :)
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of trivia - in the first episode, Sam remembers that his sister Katie is married to a Naval officer called Jim Bonnick and lives in Hawaii. Jim Bonnick was a semi-recurring character in the later seasons of Magnum PI. I love it when Bellisario references his own shows (or other shows).

Also, it was reported a couple of years ago that Bellisario was suffering from encephalitis. I don't know if he made a recovery and whether he is still writing.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    A bit of trivia - in the first episode, Sam remembers that his sister Katie is married to a Naval officer called Jim Bonnick and lives in Hawaii. Jim Bonnick was a semi-recurring character in the later seasons of Magnum PI. I love it when Bellisario references his own shows (or other shows).

Also, it was reported a couple of years ago that Bellisario was suffering from encephalitis. I don't know if he made a recovery and whether he is still writing.

According to wiki, he has since retired which was triggered over a big falling out with the lead actor from NCIS, as well as taking CBS to court over the creation of NCIS: LA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lily_M wrote: »

Magnum once did a crossover with Murder She Wrote so that means Quantum Leap and Murder She Wrote are set in the same universe.
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wiki, he has since retired which was triggered over a big falling out with the lead actor from NCIS, as well as taking CBS to court over the creation of NCIS: LA

Ah thanks. Yeah I read a bit about his conflict with Mark Harmon and his fight with CBS. It's such a shame that he ended his writing career on such a sad note, after giving us so many brilliant TV shows. I'll always really admire him just for creating Magnum, which I'm a huge fan of.
    Magnum once did a crossover with Murder She Wrote so that means Quantum Leap and Murder She Wrote are set in the same universe.

There was also a cross-over with Simon and Simon so that's in the same universe. And 5-0 gets mentioned a few times in Magnum, and McGarrett a couple of times by name, so Hawaii 5-0 is in the same universe.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a remake I nominate Martin Freeman to play Sam and Robert De Niro to play Al :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although they are currently repeating the first season they seem to using the opening credits from one of the later seasons as they feature clips from at least two episodes of Season 3 "Rebel Without A Clue" and "Future Boy"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something I have often thought in "The Leap Home" was that God's-Time's or whoever was controlling the leaps way of saying "Thank You"

Also I think at least part of the reason Sam became obsessed with Time Travel and built it was to save Tom maybe not the only or even main reason but I do think it was there.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the story's I loved was the Lee Harvey Oswald feature length episode which was originally aired to mark the 30th anniversary of the assassination of JFK in 1993 where it sees Sam jumping in and out of Oswald in the years leading up to the assassination and then at the end we are lead to believe the reason Jackie Kennedy is alive is because Sam saved her. What a heart felt story.