Devolos on 3 phase supply

DigimitchDigimitch Posts: 106
Forum Member
I live in an old farmhouse where Wifi is very restricted due to the thick walls.

I am using Devolo Broadband extenders through the mains wiring. The “master” unit (which is connected to the router) is a 650 Triple, plus 2x 500 duos for the TV/Sky boxes and 3x 500 WiFi for wireless where needed.

However, three separate areas of the house are each fed by separate fuse boxes which were originally from 3 separate phases.

They are now all fed from the same phase from the incoming mains but each does go through a separate 60 amp fused switch before the wiring goes to those individual fuse boxes .

The signal from the “master” unit varies from over 400 Mbit/s to sockets on the same fuse box as it, to 150-280 on a second fuse box, and down to as low as 25 Mbit/s on sockets on the third fuse box! Even though they are all connected to the same phase!

Is there anything I can do to get round this problem?

I look forward to any suggestions you can make!

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The breakers the signal is passing through are obviously having an effect, causing degradation leading to the speed loss.

Two solutions come to mind.

Run loads of CAT 5 ethernet cable all over the place and abandon the powerline adapters (which incidentally are not extending the broadband but your local network)

Rewire the mains so that the three separate fuse boxes are replaced by one new box.

Can't really see any other solutions if WiFi is not an option to give the coverage you need.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been said, run cat5. It's the most effort but the best reward - it'll be absolutely reliable and you'll easily get 100Mbit or gigabit through it.

It's also cost effective when compared to loads of powerplug adapters
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your going to use Homeplugs use at least 600Mbit ones, they also use the earth as well as MIMO for much improved performance. Don't mix and match speeds, they all default to the slowest one in the system.

However given your internal wiring don't expect miracles.
  • DigimitchDigimitch Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Can't rewire the mains--all too far apart!
    Cat 5 cables--Concrete floors, no attic, 18" thick walls BUT if I can work out how to run them unobtrusively, how do I get Wifi at the end of them as well? It is needed for tablets, smartphones, Kindle etc!! Can I add another router to the end of the Cat 5 cable?
    My main computer is not Wifi and so I have to be able to get an Ethernet cable to it as well!
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    As has been said, run cat5. It's the most effort but the best reward - it'll be absolutely reliable and you'll easily get 100Mbit or gigabit through it.

It's also cost effective when compared to loads of powerplug adapters

Wouldn't cat6 offer a more "future proof" solution?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digimitch wrote: »
    Can't rewire the mains--all too far apart!
    Cat 5 cables--Concrete floors, no attic, 18" thick walls BUT if I can work out how to run them unobtrusively, how do I get Wifi at the end of them as well? It is needed for tablets, smartphones, Kindle etc!! Can I add another router to the end of the Cat 5 cable?
    My main computer is not Wifi and so I have to be able to get an Ethernet cable to it as well!

If you can run CAT5/6 cables then simply put a WiFi Access Point on the end. You can get ones with an ethernet switch built in to give cabled or wireless access as required. Random example of the breed

www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN604-100UKS-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B003T0A03A/

That has four ethernet ports, so one for the link back to the main router leaving three spare for other devices.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digimitch wrote: »
    Cat 5 cables--Concrete floors, no attic, 18" thick walls BUT if I can work out how to run them unobtrusively,
    Possibly run the cable along the floor atop of skirting boards, hidden - tucked just below those skirting boards, around door frames, through door frames?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Wouldn't cat6 offer a more "future proof" solution?

Depends on what you think you'll need. Unless you're going to do 10Gbit you don't really need to think about it - and if you do put in Cat6, you have to make sure your cabling skills are top notch (you have to terminate it properly in plugs and sockets - whereas 1Gbit and 100Mbit are very forgiving)

But if the cost difference is not that great it's worth doing by all means