Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd really like to see him come back, I think he will have picked up on where he was going wrong and learnt his lesson, and I'm sure he's a tremendous chef in training and would probably do really well in another year.

I'm sooooo looking forward to Oliver's face when presented with the shepherds pie :o And quite frankly, if Mary Ann throws a fit over presenting two dishes, how on earth is she meant to cater for 80 :eek:

Surely it would be keeping with the Comic Relief theme if they just let Mary Ann cook all 4 dishes at the banquet?! Now that would be worth watching! :)

Me and Mrs. Mc were convinced at the start of the week she was a spoof chef put in as some crazy prank by the producers, but I'm actually glad she's through to the Judges purely for comedy value!

LOVED Jeremy Lee as Mentor this week - his 'oh poor you' put down to Luke when his foam squirter didn't work for his main just genius!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    What amazed me about Luke was, compared to the other young chefs we see on MC The Pros, who mainly look like they've been locked in a darkened room for 10 years, fed only water and stale bread and flogged every day as a treat, he was remarkably fresh faced and healthy looking.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What amazed me about Luke was, compared to the other young chefs we see on MC The Pros, who mainly look like they've been locked in a darkened room for 10 years, fed only water and stale bread and flogged every day as a treat, he was remarkably fresh faced and healthy looking.

That's 'cos he's one of them there prot-ah-jay thingies :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOVED Jeremy Lee as Mentor this week - his 'oh poor you' put down to Luke when his foam squirter didn't work for his main just genius!

And the almost aside of - I don't think it misses it ;)
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    And the almost aside of - I don't think it misses it ;)

Didn't seem to miss the "Airbag" popcorn either! ;)
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    That's 'cos he's one of them there prot-ah-jay thingies :D:D

He's giving up cooking and going to work in clubs, 'cause he's a pro DJ.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Whodini wrote: »
    And pardon me but red noses arent bloody funny!

I could cry.

My Triplets think that red noses are very funny. However, they are only 3 years old.

I am eagerly waiting to see what the judges think of Maryann's pie.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week has to be the poorest standard so far yet I am looking forward to the final judging the most.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I still wish wee Yung Gun had got through. I liked the look of his food well enough, he didn't pretend that sticking a nose on the plate on which the food wasn't even served was funny, and he didn't make ageist comments or gloat when someone else's went wrong.

Where's he working at the moment?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think he's bagged himself a paperround from the local corner shop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    This week has to be the poorest standard so far yet I am looking forward to the final judging the most.[/QUOTE

Did I miss the bit where they show some preview comments from the judges on last night's show?

I've got a feeling it's going to be quite good fun to watch the judging tonight!
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I still wish wee Yung Gun had got through. I liked the look of his food well enough, he didn't pretend that sticking a nose on the plate on which the food wasn't even served was funny ...

One of the main components was served on that dish. It might not have been funny, but it did at least have some relevance to Comic Relief.

What relevance did Chefling's dish have to the brief? Absolutely none ... unless he was trying to pretend that a tart, a doughnut, jelly, ice cream and a stick of rhubarb was funny! :rolleyes:
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    So it did, I'd forgotten it wasn't just a red nose. True. Failed Returner Richard deserved to go through.

Neither Experienced Newcomer Mary Anne nor Yung Gun Luke's food nudged the brief with a damp cloth but YGL's, of the two, appealed more. S'all personal taste, of course!

So looking forward to the judges' judging tonight!
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    So it did, I'd forgotten it wasn't just a red nose. True. Failed Returner Richard deserved to go through.

Neither Experienced Newcomer Mary Anne nor Yung Gun Luke's food nudged the brief with a damp cloth but YGL's, of the two, appealed more. S'all personal taste, of course!

So looking forward to the judges' judging tonight!

Mind you, it's not as though they were the only ones to ignore the brief!

Regardless of whether it was Chefling or Scary-Mary who got through, it'll be a travesty if Richard doesn't win tonight. However, I also think it'll be a travesty if any of his dishes reach the banquet! I just hope that when it comes to the final selection, we don't have Lenny Henry in the judging seat! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    One of the main components was served on that dish. It might not have been funny, but it did at least have some relevance to Comic Relief.

What relevance did Chefling's dish have to the brief? Absolutely none ... unless he was trying to pretend that a tart, a doughnut, jelly, ice cream and a stick of rhubarb was funny! :rolleyes:

Custard pie/tart? As in what gets thrown in the face?

May not be that funny, but at least it's not the latest in a seemingly infinite amount of attempts in this series to pass off something red and spherical (or just round in some way, hello comedy plates) as the height of hilarity. :mad: <- I could use this to win in this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if Chefling had left it at the custard tart and a couple of the garnishes, he would have been through. It was the donut (a spherical, non-red nod to a red nose :D) and the other extra bits and bobs that dragged his score down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Mind you, it's not as though they were the only ones to ignore the brief!

Regardless of whether it was Chefling or Scary-Mary who got through, it'll be a travesty if Richard doesn't win tonight. However, I also think it'll be a travesty if any of his dishes reach the banquet! I just hope that when it comes to the final selection, we don't have Lenny Henry in the judging seat! :D

Oh. no. That's going to happen isn't it. I can imagine him pulling out his Theophilus P. Wildebeast for Pru. Or saying "Katanga" like it's still relevant. Probably introduce him with footage of him in Chef.

I wish his ex would have been one of the judges: Likes her food and actually funny. Seems a no-brainer to me, but then unlike the other guest judges, she doesn't need the exposure.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm strangely looking forward to tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I know its mean but Im looking forward to the absolute DEMOLITION that I predict this show will be.
    Forum Member
    fustacluck wrote: »
    Custard pie/tart? As in what gets thrown in the face?

He called it Rhubarb And Custard, never referred to a custard pie, and explained that "They're classic flavours ... that's the fun part of it ... it's childhood memories of those types of flavours"

I don't think he even recognised that a custard pie has some relevance to comedy! :eek:

Even if he'd called it Roobarb And Custard, I'd have believed he was making an effort!
    Forum Member
    Here we go gang!
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its mean but Im looking forward to the absolute DEMOLITION that I predict this show will be.
    I could be wrong but feel that Richard would have to stop cooking altogether to not get through.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm wondering if it will be edited to be close to add to the tension the producers feel is necessary
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Kennedy gets on my wick
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it will be edited to be close to add to the tension the producers feel is necessary

Your probably right, this is going to be interesting.