The End of the Postie in Sight?

Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For economic reasons Canada are phasing out home deliveries to urban areas and New Zealand Post do not make rural home deliveries anymore. They have also reduced urban deliveries down.

With the click and collect is the days of the postman dropping letters through your door coming to an end?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/230635/canada-post-to-end-urban-home-deliveries

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-12/canada-to-phase-out-home-mail-delivery-to-cut-big-losses/5151336

Comments

• 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly.

They only deliver junk and even that seems to be getting less and less. I don't get much 'real' post.

It would be a shame for them to go though, not just the loss of jobs but also if you do live a distance away from a big town and don't have the internet, it's probably still very important to have a postman.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly.

They only deliver junk and even that seems to be getting less and less. I don't get much 'real' post.

It would be a shame for them to go though, not just the loss of jobs but also if you do live a distance away from a big town and don't have the internet, it's probably still very important to have a postman.

I agree. Must admit though I am starting to use click and collect for parcels. I collect my amazon stuff at the local Waitrose now.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there will always be a need for deliveries, letters, cards and such like. I see in Canada they're installing community boxes instead. I don't think that would pass the vandal test here.
  • DingbattsDingbatts Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am no expert - I said in 2000 that internet shopping would never catch on, because consumers liked to touch, feel, wear and visualize their purchases. I was way off the mark there. Even I buy my groceries online now, without seeing the product and could not go back to trudging down the aisles looking for items myself. So I think I will stick my neck out and say that yes, posties will eventually become extinct. If we have items that need to be delivered, we will have to pick them up ourselves, from some pre-arranged, local drop off point.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are in a fairly rural location and we only get 2 deliveries a week now. The Royal mail of course deny this.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how would this "click and collect" work in the case of people (particularly elderly) living at home but who have no computer?
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be Bus Conductors next - Oh wait...
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    So how would this "click and collect" work in the case of people (particularly elderly) living at home but who have no computer?

I read a similar question on another site and some say "Not a problem if they have mobile/smart phones." Maybe true in a few years' time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    That would be bad news for me, as I suffer from impaired mobility and I'm not always capable of leaving the house.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be bad news for me, as I suffer from impaired mobility and I'm not always capable of leaving the house.

It's a an issue and will need a community to organise - maybe a local post office in the village. Oh wait......