Does anyone else not own any CDs anymore?

TetherTether Posts: 951
Forum Member
✭✭
Since about 2009 I haven't bought a CD and sold on ebay or gave away my (albeit small) collection when I moved to London.

I just always stream my music or previously had everything on itunes. I just think they take up un-necessary space. Same with DVDs, I'm not a big movie watcher any more. I've seen me sitting down to watch a film on TV, but I'd never go out and buy a DVD now.

Virtual storage really has freed up a lot of space. Plus I'm not one of those hoarder types.

Comments

• Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have all my CDs but I don't play them at home. I use iTunes.

I do play CDs in the car though.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Down to my last 3,700.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very much like you OP. I had hundreds of CD albums, even more CD singles (and even some minidiscs :)). The idea of going entirely digital started slowly but the more I did it and the more albums and singles I got through, the more I bought in to it.

Now I'm 100% digital - I even ripped my entire DVD and Bluray collection when I discovered the joy that is owning a NAS drive. (I recognise that makes me sound like even more of a nerd than normal).

If I had a better phone connection, I'd probably make the next step and actually stream my music collection from the NAS drive as well but while I'm on Virgin that's not going to happen!
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's all this about getting rid of all the time?
    I've got records; cassettes and cds. All get used. I do download mp3 music onto my phone but that wouldn't be at the expense of dumping all the music I've already got.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's all this about getting rid of all the time?
    I've got records; cassettes and cds. All get used. I do download mp3 music onto my phone but that wouldn't be at the expense of dumping all the music I've already got.
    Same here, i prefer the physical media in my hand.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have seven CDs and cassettes I bought during my schooling years. I can't bring myself to bin those. Sentimental, I suppose.

I didn't particularly like those albums, but they were British. :D Those saw me through serious bouts of homesickness for England and dislike for Japan (I was educated in Japan from 15 onwards, which I hated).
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got a box full of vinyl. Haven't had the means to play them for several years. But they do have sentimental value.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got all of my hundreds of records, tapes and CDs but I rarely play them any more. I've digitised most of it.

Some stuff I sold on eBay when I was short of cash a few years ago but only really a handful of things I was willing to part with.

I seldom buy CDs these days. I think I bought about 3 or 4 last year. I realised that I just put them straight in my laptop, ripped them to mp3 and then left the CD gathering dust on the shelf.

Now I only buy physical media if it's a nicely packaged special edition release
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got loads of them.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Got loads and mostly play them in the car.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only still buy audio CDs because I prefer to have uncompressed audio tracks so that I can compress them with the settings that I want. Or, if I want to listen to listen to uncompressed tracks, I'll have them as well. Until audio CDs die off, or until uncompressed audio files start being sold on Amazon etc, I'll always buy CDs so that I can extract the audio tracks to put on a personal music player.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got loads and mostly play them in the car.

Ditto.

I'm probably a complete dinosaur but I wouldn't eve know how to download music. I've got an itunes account because I had to open one for my iphone but I've never used it and wouldn't know where to start.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Ditto.

I'm probably a complete dinosaur but I wouldn't eve know how to download music. I've got an itunes account because I had to open one for my iphone but I've never used it and wouldn't know where to start.

You don't know how to download paid for music? I would assume it's the same as Amazon in that it's just like when you buy something directly from Amazon.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    I sold nearly all of mine a few years back after ripping them all to hard drive. I kept a few, rarities and the like, because the price I could have got was silly, never listen to them though
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i'm holding onto mine until I buy my first house and can get a decent stereo system. I tend to find the quality of CD superior to MP3, and I prefer listening to my music on a proper system rather than on computer speakers/ through a phone.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost them all through moving
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't bother with CDs, they are two 'generations' of music consumption behind - then there was paying for downloads and now there are streaming services (Spotify etc.)
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I still have mine taking up space but digitised my collection ages ago and have two backups so not sure why.
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Physical media such as DVD, Music CDs and books are often cheaper than what iTunes and Amazon charge for their download versions. That doesn't make sense to me when you consider that you don't get anything physical for your money.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I own CDs. I mainly buy music from Itunes as it's easier. Old CDs can be imported but aren't registered on your account.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Physical media such as DVD, Music CDs and books are often cheaper than what iTunes and Amazon charge for their download versions. That doesn't make sense to me when you consider that you don't get anything physical for your money.

On Amazon you get the downloaded library free when you buy CDs
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

If your CD gets damaged it's often a case of needed another copy. With digital downloads the music is always available on their servers and is physically on your phone or tablet.

The price of 99p for a song which will always be available better value in the long run.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    If it's an album I'm after, I still buy the CD and it's usually from Amazon because, as 'What name??' stated, you also get the MP3 download.

I tend to play CDs in the car, and MP3s at home.

The real beauty of downloadable music for me is that I can pick and choose which tracks I want. More often than not I only want two or three tracks from an album, so I now buy more music than I did in the past, and have a lot more MP3s than CDs.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got loads of CDs but I never listen to them anymore.........I just go on YouTube and listen to stuff from that

I haven't got a CD player but I guess my computer would play them........I think I'll stick one in and check.......
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL CD's ..... i've still got my TAPES!!!
    pity i've got nothing to play them on :D

got most of my good cd's on the stand in my living room