Older cat needs a home, taken it in but will it mix?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi :).

Due to a friends ill health i am looking after his cat from him. The cat is around 12 years old and has lived mainly solitary life, not an outisde cat at all.

The question is i already have 2 dogs and cat in my house already. They all get along fine, they even cuddle up sleeping, but, i am worried what my cat, who also isnt an outisde cat and a bit of a mummys boys, would take to the other cat ebing around?

They are both toms *neutured*. At the moment the new cat sleeps upstairs and has the upstairs to wander in, but i would like peoples opinions as to whether i should try and integrate him with the other pets or leave him, hes happy up there and gets plenty of love, just feel sorry for him as he is alone a while sometimes.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend/neighbour has done the same thing - her original cat isn't really that good a mixer, but they seem to have coped ok.

So long at the cat is happy, it will come out when it is ready, it's all a case of time, patience and mutual trust.

I looked after a cat for 4 weeks a few years ago and she was just venturing out of the bedroom where she felt secure, when she had to go home

We have also in the last week taken on an adult cat, who is at the moment seeking refuge upstairs. I am hopeful that she will settle and learn to trust us. Sadly her owner has died and she had no home

Meant to say we also have a cat and dog for our new addition to come to terms with
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We took in a stray cat earlier this year who unfortunately doesn't get on with our other cat at all, despite our best efforts to gradually introduce them. It's a bit of a pain because we have to keep them apart and share ourselves between them as best we can, to ensure they get plenty of love and attention each.

It is 'do-able' though and of course I'm glad we decided to keep him. (he was very unwell for the first few months, so we feared for his future if we tried to rehome him elsewhere)

It's worth trying to integrate him at first, maybe start with feeding the cats together so they associate meeting one another with something nice happening, then add the dogs into the mix too and see how they all get along. One word of advice is to have a large towel and a spray bottle of water handy in case any serious fights happen. I had to break up a fight between our cats when they first met and was completely unprepared for it.. I ended up with some nasty scars on my arms for my trouble!

If things don't work out and he seems happy upstairs though I wouldn't be too concerned about him, provided he seems content and gets plenty of attention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thank you for your advice :). I took my cat upstairs and slowly showed him his new guest and my cat blinked at the other cat (which i have read is a cat way of saying no fighting) and the pother cat just looked ta him, my cat sat on the foor and the other cat on the bed for 5 minutes, then i took mine out again, going to keep trying this, the dogs wont be a problem because they are used to being bossed by my cat so they will keep their distance :)
  • lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's best to keep the new cat in a different room on it's own for the first few days so they can smell and hear each other. Sudden introductions can be a bad idea.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_introducingcat
  • Cat BalouCat Balou Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always best to let stranger cats keep to different parts of the house initially. If you want them to integrate then try swapping some items, maybe bedding items, between the rooms that the different cats live in so they get used to each others smell.

Cats tend to resist forced introductions but a bit of encouragement by swapping scents and leaving time for them to explore each others territories while the other is out may help. I managed to get my current 2 to mix happily this way after a month and now they readily cuddle up together to sleep.

Good luck!