EE Cash on tap - whens it out?

lambylamby Posts: 3,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey

I see EE have launched a contactless payment feature.

Anyone know when the app will be out?

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    Hey

I see EE have launched a contactless payment feature.

Anyone know when the app will be out?

July the 17th for selected models.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't understand why this app needs to be done in partnership with MasterCard (or what that actually means).

All the app does is allow you to load the app with cash which you then spend via nfc. This is the same as (for example) a Starbucks card and then using the screen barcode scanner. Why not just register your debit card and let payment come straight from your account?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I really don't understand why this app needs to be done in partnership with MasterCard (or what that actually means).

All the app does is allow you to load the app with cash which you then spend via nfc. This is the same as (for example) a Starbucks card and then using the screen barcode scanner. Why not just register your debit card and let payment come straight from your account?

How would retailers link their systems to EE's?

That's why they go with the established players like Visa or Mastercard, as it requires little or no work to implement other than accepting Mastercard in the first place. Plus it makes it more likely to be used if it is accepted in more places. I am assuming that it is just a prepaid debit card in virtual form, stored on the phone, so assuming that the till can already take contactless payment it would work immediately.

Starbucks is rather different, since they control the card and their tills so they can do whatever they want. I can't use a Starbucks card to pay in ASDA, can I?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    How would retailers link their systems to EE's?

That's why they go with the established players like Visa or Mastercard, as it requires little or no work to implement other than accepting Mastercard in the first place. Plus it makes it more likely to be used if it is accepted in more places. I am assuming that it is just a prepaid debit card in virtual form, stored on the phone, so assuming that the till can already take contactless payment it would work immediately.

Starbucks is rather different, since they control the card and their tills so they can do whatever they want. I can't use a Starbucks card to pay in ASDA, can I?

The point I'm making is that you should just be able to preload your card details onto the phone (whether it be a visa debit, MasterCard, etc) and just make a payment direct to your card account.

The problem with preloading (which is true of the Starbucks card) is that you have to make sure you have enough money preloaded.

Ironically, the Starbucks card system does not limit you to a £20 spend limit which this system does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, wallet systems aren't the best and they probably don't encourage much take-up of the service.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point I'm making is that you should just be able to preload your card details onto the phone (whether it be a visa debit, MasterCard, etc) and just make a payment direct to your card account.

Unless you simply clone the card (which would seem like a huge security risk) you'd still need some system for retailers to direct payments to your bank account. That system would still have to be farmed out to a bank or other financial services company to be able to make it happen.
    The problem with preloading (which is true of the Starbucks card) is that you have to make sure you have enough money preloaded.

Ironically, the Starbucks card system does not limit you to a £20 spend limit which this system does.

I don't know if this is a problem. People do it all the time on public transport (Oyster) or with pay as you go mobile phones and stuff. I'd assume that the app will tell you your balance and provide some easy way to top up, so it's hardly a deal breaker.

The 20 quid limit is a contactless payment restriction, I'm fairly sure it is the same with physical contactless cards. Otherwise, given the hubbub over how much range a card can be picked up at, anyone could read your card and use it to pay for something expensive.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The 20 quid limit is a contactless payment restriction, I'm fairly sure it is the same with physical contactless cards. Otherwise, given the hubbub over how much range a card can be picked up at, anyone could read your card and use it to pay for something expensive.

Indeed, its currently the UK's contactless EMV limit. Not like Australia which is 100 AUD, which is a bit more useful. The PayPass Contactless 2 spec will allow over £20 transactions with a pin on the device in the very near future though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who else would they use? It would be pretty stupid to start making their own network, they were pretty much limited to using a virtual Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Would be pretty pointless in partnering with China UnionPay :P

Three seems to be up to something with American Express though, on my last Amex statement I got a leaflet talking about contactless and all the different ways of using it and it talked about paying via Mobile and at the bottom it says "American Express Mobile ExpressPay available on select NFC enabled Three handsets, late 2013".

Wouldn't surprise me though as Vodafone Australia (Who are half owned by 3 and half owned by Vodafone) are also switching their virtual card from a virtual MasterCard to a virtual American Express.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who else would they use? It would be pretty stupid to start making their own network, they were pretty much limited to using a virtual Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Would be pretty pointless in partnering with China UnionPay :P

Three seems to be up to something with American Express though, on my last Amex statement I got a leaflet talking about contactless and all the different ways of using it and it talked about paying via Mobile and at the bottom it says "American Express Mobile ExpressPay available on select NFC enabled Three handsets, late 2013".

Wouldn't surprise me though as Vodafone Australia (Who are half owned by 3 and half owned by Vodafone) are also switching their virtual card from a virtual MasterCard to a virtual American Express.

What do you mean, network? The NFC terminals provide the fund clearance, just like they do on contactless cards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean, network? The NFC terminals provide the fund clearance, just like they do on contactless cards

There needs to be some kind of network in place for the clearance to work. For authorisation and settlement. EE would have to create its own one. Its no different than a normal contactless credit or debit card really, its just virtual and can only be used on contactless terminals.

Imagine if Lloyds went and said we're not going to issue Visa cards anymore, we're issuing Lloyds net cards, oh wait no merchants accept our card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There needs to be some kind of network in place for the clearance to work. For authorisation and settlement. EE would have to create its own one. Its no different than a normal contactless credit or debit card really, its just virtual and can only be used on contactless terminals.

Imagine if Lloyds went and said we're not going to issue Visa cards anymore, we're issuing Lloyds net cards, oh wait no merchants accept our card.

I think we are misunderstanding each other here.

Why not just have an app which allows you to load your card details, whether it is an Amex, visa or MasterCard.

The route taken at the moment is if you had all 3 of those cards (and it so happens I do) then you would need 3 different apps and 3 different wallets you would need to manage.

Just seems a strange way of doing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why not just have an app which allows you to load your card details, whether it is an Amex, visa or MasterCard.

The route taken at the moment is if you had all 3 of those cards (and it so happens I do) then you would need 3 different apps and 3 different wallets you would need to manage.

Presumably all the card issuers would have to agree to such a thing, though. For security/fraud prevention purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I see. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Oh I agree, would much prefer to have my Amex, MasterCard and Visa Debit card all in one app, not having to load up.

Obviously commercial decisions that have made it this way. If we ever do get google wallet, that works on all 3 cards in the US and charges direct to that, although I don't think Amex will be accepted on the app in the UK as Bizarrely Google Wallet UK doesn't accept Amex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably all the card issuers would have to agree to such a thing, though. For security/fraud prevention purposes.

That is an interesting question. I don't believe there are any inherent security features within the app, so not sure if it would cause much of a problem.

Someone on here is using google wallet in the uk (I assume as a hacked app) without it being approved by the card issuers or google, and hasn't had any issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is an interesting question. I don't believe there are any inherent security features within the app, so not sure if it would cause much of a problem.

Someone on here is using google wallet in the uk (I assume as a hacked app) without it being approved by the card issuers or google, and hasn't had any issues.

I know. I'm not saying there would be any inherent security issues. I just wonder what the card issuers would make of it, though. Could a third-party company just produce an app that allowed you to load up your own card details and then use an NFC terminal? Is it technically possible? Would you still be covered in the event of fraud?
  • DevoidDroidDevoidDroid Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Anyone confirm that this is only for 4GEE customers and not T-Mobile or Orange?
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE's Cash on tap it downloadable now, i get an error on setup.
  • ewanmcnabewanmcnab Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Installed it last night and finished setup this morning all OK. Used it in Mcdonalds for breakfast and worked a treat.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Nfc sim arrived this morning,downloaded the app,set up an account and 'Ta da'..(as they say). All seems to have set up perfectly and they even give you a free fiver to get you started..Nice 1..)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid that they don't inform you that you need an nfc sim. I'm getting one sent to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, via the Twitter team, EE order me a new NFC sim. Little do i know that they will cancel my current sim! So i am without a signal.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    ewanmcnab wrote: »
    Installed it last night and finished setup this morning all OK. Used it in Mcdonalds for breakfast and worked a treat.

Where does the payment get taken from?