Options

A Very British Airline - BBC2 does BA

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://lifeasabutterfly.com/cabin-crew-assessment-day-experiences-tips-and-recommendations/

Obviously hard to tell what the figures equate to but depending on your commission it could add up to a nice amount.
    Thanks for that. Proved a fairly interesting read. As you say it's difficult to work a more precise figure out but personally i thought the basic very low.

There's obviously a massive incentive for every female Stewardess to hook herself a Pilot or Sugar Daddy regular traveller! I imagine that 'market' to be much smaller for the male Stewards so they'd struggle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I knew exactly what you meant, but it is inevitable because you need a higher staff to passenger ratio to give the premium service. Passengers in business or first get a lot more attention. In terms of productivity the premium cabin crew still earn more for the airline than the economy cabin crew. BA get almost all their revenue from Club and First passengers.

And as I said, it isn't knob class. Not everyone travelling there is a snob, far from it.

Nope, some are staff/ex staff, such as my parents who are away to Florida in Club. I'm not jealous at all....;-)
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Once the grubs on the table that's it...job done. A real man (or woman) will then get on with business of eating.

Oh yes i do know how some people demand this demand that clicking their fingers every time they want their arse wiping.....i used to work in Hotels so have first hand experience at how some people behave.

By far the worst were the yanks who expected everything and anything at the drop of a hat, treated the waiters like sh*t, often got drunk, with some even refusing to pay their bill. It was all about being the centre of attention. They loved knowing other people were looking at them. What they couldn't figure out was they were looking at them for all the wrong reasons.
    Have you ever travelled in business class? A business class meal will be served in courses, restaurant style, not all on one tray as in economy. Cabin service is not just about meals either. There's stuff laid on from the pre-flight welcome drink onwards. A lot more than in economy. Also on a long flight there will be more than one meal. There are cabin crew in the cabin most of the flight.

You seem to have real problems with people who pay for additional service/space/luxury. They aren't all demanding drunken oafs, but if they are the crew have to cope with that. No cabin crew job is easy, but the people in premium cabins tend to be better behaved and some simply want to be left alone the entire flight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Flew back from EWR last autumn in BA Business, and the crew obviously had a little thing between them to remember every passenger's name. Every time they passed, they would ask "can I get you anything Mr XYZ?" and "is everything OK for you Mrs ABC?".

Quite a feat considering the flight was full. We had an elderly American couple in the next "69" seating to us and they were absolutely enchanted! He said to me "this is why we always fly BA - on an American airline, they barely acknowledge your existence".

Having done LAX-EWR First Class with United 5 days before, I can vouch for that. Scruffy and sullen, all of them. Absolutely shocking for what it cost.
    Calling you by name is standard on BA Club class, as it is on many airlines in business class. It's an impressive trick, but they only have to remember a few names at a time (the seats they are currently attending to).
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    She also had an awful accent.

She neither looked or sounded the part
    Surprised she made it through to training
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I found this fairly interesting, although it is turning into a bit of an advert for BA Club World. Not much mention of Economy, where most BA passengers travel.

Not overly surprised that Jody didn't make the grade; she came across as someone who wanted the job but found herself slightly out of her depth.

The snapshot warning for being late because of severe delays on the M25 seemed a bit tough on the trainee, and in reality is very occasionally unavoidable, which is why it's taken seriously but isn't (in itself) career limiting.
  • Options
    guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that. Proved a fairly interesting read. As you say it's difficult to work a more precise figure out but personally i thought the basic very low.

There's obviously a massive incentive for every female Stewardess to hook herself a Pilot or Sugar Daddy regular traveller! I imagine that 'market' to be much smaller for the male Stewards so they'd struggle.

Same market as most male stewards are gay

oh and by the way I heard today that Jodie is currently working longhaul for BA
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity BA cabin crew do not put their training into practice in Economy. Gave up with them years ago (even though we have shares in the company) and fly Emirates where possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever travelled in business class? A business class meal will be served in courses, restaurant style, not all on one tray as in economy.
    You've been ripped off then.

I had the same when i flew Steerage with what was then Swissair. Main course, followed by dessert, then drinks. They could have stuck everything on the tray and saved a lot of mither. It would have tasted just the same.

Never even expected a meal so was quite surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guy60 wrote: »
    Same market as most male stewards are gay.
    Yes that's what i thought hence the 'tongue in cheek' observation. You don't really see many 'mincing' Pilots do you?
    ...oh and by the way I heard today that Jodie is currently working longhaul for BA.
    Blimey! :o

Good for her. Wonder what made them have a 'turn around'?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member

Great news.:)
    gray_v wrote: »
    After seeing this weeks show, I'd love them to do a documentary on the JFK staff, they were brilliant. In fact, that was about the only part of the show I was really interested in, it was very engaging I thought.
    Totally agree, they were great.:cool:
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's what i thought hence the 'tongue in cheek' observation. You don't really see many 'mincing' Pilots do you?

Blimey! :o

Good for her. Wonder what made them have a 'turn around'?[/QUOTE]

She probably retried again for them, and would have known what to expect. Depending when they filmed the trainees, the Chengdu service started on the 22nd September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've been ripped off then.

I had the same when i flew Steerage with what was then Swissair. Main course, followed by dessert, then drinks. They could have stuck everything on the tray and saved a lot of mither. It would have tasted just the same.

Never even expected a meal so was quite surprised.
    That's probably why Swissair went bust. Everything on one tray is industry standard in economy with few exceptions. Has been for decades, though these days full meals are long haul only.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes- economy is mostly served with one tray, whilst premium passengers are served as they would in a restaurant.

Crew should be using passenger names in premium - I'm happy if they use each passengers name twice .

One issue the famed Cilla Black has, and is quite right - she pays mega bucks for First Class to Carribbean and is called 'Mrs Black' by lazy crew! - Her name on the manifest is Mrs Willis. That is who she is. They have no excuse for not getting it right, because as well as paying top money she is a VIP.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the programme there was wording to the effect 'That's the last we'll see of her for now" implying she'd be back somehow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's probably why Swissair went bust. Everything on one tray is industry standard in economy with few exceptions. Has been for decades, though these days full meals are long haul only.
    Suffered the same as many in the post 9/11 downturn......but also not helped by its corrupt Directorship made up of many politicians so a direct conflict of interests at hand. They eventually faced criminal charges over forgery and mismanagement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Yes- economy is mostly served with one tray, whilst premium passengers are served as they would in a restaurant.

Crew should be using passenger names in premium - I'm happy if they use each passengers name twice .

One issue the famed Cilla Black has, and is quite right - she pays mega bucks for First Class to Carribbean and is called 'Mrs Black' by lazy crew! - Her name on the manifest is Mrs Willis. That is who she is. They have no excuse for not getting it right, because as well as paying top money she is a VIP.
    Jeeez.............lifes worries. :o:o
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was that posted on behalf of the Cilla Black fan club?

I have flown BA enough times to come across many "celebs" and the staff know how to cope with them. I'm too discrete to tell stories but I was recently sat behind a major BBC name who was out of his face on champagne.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by scotch

In Economy a crew member may have over 60 passengers or more to serve - full service.

In Upper they may have 12 or so.. Premium passengers are served by crew with an awful lot less passengers to take care of so they can take longer, give more intensive service than in economy.

My sister in law works long haul with BA in First Class, If they're not full on first class, some of the cabin crew will go down the back & help out in Club World or Economy.
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member

Good for her if that's the case. However BA, in common with many big companies, won't normally let an applicant re-apply for 12 months after an unsuccessful application. Of course they may have made an exception for her.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    In the programme there was wording to the effect 'That's the last we'll see of her for now" implying she'd be back somehow

I wonder if they have any system of letting people work somewhere else for a time before trying again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But people paying that sort of money will be used to going to a hotel, restaurant, bar etc that they have not visited for some time but being greeted by name and their personal preferences already known by the staff. So it should be much easier for the cabin crew to be briefed for a pre-booked VIP when they are only dealing with a small number of people in First Class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Good for her if that's the case. However BA, in common with many big companies, won't normally let an applicant re-apply for 12 months after an unsuccessful application. Of course they may have made an exception for her.

I would think that, like any other disciplinary procedure, they will have to have some sort of appeals procedure.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Agreed re the time period. Why should they have made an exception for her though?
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She neither looked or sounded the part
    Surprised she made it through to training

My best friend has been a stewardess with BA for the best part of 20 years on long haul flights. She used to work on Monarch and knows how some of the other airlines work. BA has always been quite unique in it's recruitment - they often go for ordinary people with quite strong regional accents as in their opinion, they come across as more friendly and accessible. It's always been their policy. Many of the other airlines, particularly out of HR and Gatwick, always seem to go for plumby voiced home counties accents.

On all the BA flights I've been on, I mainly been served by scousers, geordies, Irish, Brummies etc. All very down to earth. It's also one of the reasons why a lot of call centres are located in regions with dialects that apparently convey friendliness :D