Options

Looking at old Photographs

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get ours out every couple of years, my favourite one is a pic from when I was about 3 and I had two footballs shoved up my jumper!
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    My parents getting married in 1969:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5361107615/in/set-72157601374993945

I love the big boots at the wedding

And less glamorous in the 70s:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/3306667085/in/set-72157601374993945

I would love to have been around in the early 70's. Thick blanket of snow, and good summer sunshine! Looks like a wonderful era where everything reached its peak or was about to in the coming 2 decades,

My and my dad in the 70s:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/3306674927/in/set-72157601374993945

wonderful clothes! Terrible facial hair though

Primary school photo, mid 70s:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/2355768530/in/set-72157601374993945/

Doesn't look that much different from today, the cartoon characters behind you are freaky though - the wall designs
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't look that much different from today, the cartoon characters behind you are freaky though - the wall designs

Oi! Don't diss my daddy's beard! :p

I can't remember what the pictures on the wall were about. It was something to do with a story we'd read about an old lady and a cat, and I think my friend Katy and I painted the gnome's feather.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have collected together all the old family photos back to my great grandparents, including siblings, uncles aunts etc and have made a large family album, and keep it up to date with all new arrivals, weddings etc.
  • Options
    darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few of mine on my computer :) i was a 90s child though! and i have filled 3 photo albums with hard copy printed photos too! I love it but it makes me sad because time goes so fast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't look that much different from today

The 70s were just like today, they were just browner.

I've just found this rather groovetastic photo of my mum's baby sister and her husband from 1972:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5824187466/in/set-72157601374993945/
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Graduation photos are soooo embarrassing.:D

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm..might have to look at getting my old man's considerable 35mm slide archives scanned in. Any good services folks can recommend?
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    I love looking at old photos too and am slowly getting round to scanning them all - here's a couple :)

Me - in red t shirt - in 1979 with OH (still together after 38years!) my brother, his ex wife and my baby niece - who now has 5 children of her own (eldest 13 yrs!)

sd4G9.jpg

And me with my class of 6 year olds in 1977 - party for the Queen's Silver Jubilee!

IJ0fo.jpg
  • Options
    Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have old photographs of my grandparents in the war. Some are of my grandfather away during WWII and some that he and my grandmother sent each other whilst they were apart during the war, complete with love letters on the back. They're one of the few things I cherish in my life.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    Dakota. wrote: »
    I have old photographs of my grandparents in the war. Some are of my grandfather away during WWII and some that he and my grandmother sent each other whilst they were apart during the war, complete with love letters on the back. They're one of the few things I cherish in my life.

Can you put some on here? Would love to see them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suki c wrote: »

Seconded! I really like photos from the 30s/40s.

This is my granny and grandad in 1938, a couple of hours after they got engaged:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5829384859/in/set-72157601374993945/
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    suki c wrote: »

Mine are postcards from the grandfather during the First World War to my nan written on the back.:)
  • Options
    ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The parents have found all the old photos of when I was a baby it's so embarrassing :o do you ever get your photo albums out and take a trip down memory lane:p or do you try to keep them hidden from everyone:D

My girlfriend's mum always shows pictures of her when she was small. I over-exaggerate my laugh just to annoy her and go "aww".

For me personally, my mum had them out the other day. I don't mind. It is weird. I wish I was a child again.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given was by my elderly next door neighbour many years ago. She told me to write the names of everyone on the photo on the back. At the time I thought it was silly, but I always did it anyway, because she told me to. Now I'm so grateful to her that I can read the names of the people I can't remember .

I love photos - old and new - I really should do something about organising them better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have just sorted my old family photos and stuck some onto a blank disk. They are all stuck in those photo albums just stuck away in the wardrobde or cupbaord never looked at..So i thought i shall burn them onto a disk or onto pc ( memory stick), and view them any time..I was renewing new pictres of my little niece who is nearly two, to put into a photo frame, and came across old ones i had on pc..they are of parents, grandparents, christmas' and holidays, and childhood home..Looking back on them is fun but sad :(
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 43 now, and, while I have a lot of photos to up to age 18, I have very few of myself after that age. It was once the norm, when you had to pay some professional studio for a photo. It is very much the exception now, I suspect.