Options

One Born Every Minute Series 4

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    No its not rubbish its an opinion,my first birth was not great, I had to have pethadine and gas and air and felt woozy from a sleeping tablet they had given me. after that I was determined not to be drugged up when giving birth again, I was just commenting that these girls almost always seem to have an epidural at the first twinges, and the NHS oblige, there should be more encouragement to give birth without it IMO.

I agree.. as much as it is painful I would not want to be dead from the waist down.

Some young mothers do seem to ask for an epi as soon as they get in the door :(
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt she have a thing in her arm to though? I didnt see all of the programme tonight though so I cant be sure, its just that almost every time I watch this they women have drips in their arms.

No only one girl had a thing in her arm I think, unless one of them had a drip to increase the speed of labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I agree.. as much as it is painful I would not want to be dead from the waist down.

You don't have to be dead from the waist down, they can adjust the epidural so you can feel the contractions etc. It just takes the worst off it.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    That's all very well in theory, you could always try training as a midwife & telling a Mum in labour that she's not going to get an epidural .

You might have managed it, it doesn't mean that everyone can. Also I was 28 when I had my first so I wasn't a slip of a girl :)

I didnt say you were but compared to me all of them are slips of girls,lol

When did this desire for loads of drugs and numbing come in in this country anyway? its a very American thing, I watch the Yanks birth programmes and they all have a drip and most are numb from the breasts down, I just dont get it thats all. its been ten years since my last baby so things seems to have changed recently. I could never be restricted in childbirth I find that very alien and totally against what your body wants to do. what next, epidurals for a big hard poop?lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You don't have to be dead from the waist down, they can adjust the epidural so you can feel the contractions etc. It just takes the worst off it.

Gas and air did that :)
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you hear so many horror stories about there being no doctors available to do the epidural or other pain relief when it's needed that some women probably arrive there asking for one straightaway for fear of being left to suffer in a lot of pain.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sad isnt it? my god, giving birth is so brilliant and we only do it a couple of times or so, I blinking love it, wish I wasnt all old and shrivelled up,lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yay for gas and air ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you were jolly lucky, but it didn't work for me !
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I didnt say you were but compared to me all of them are slips of girls,lol

When did this desire for loads of drugs and numbing come in in this country anyway? its a very American thing, I watch the Yanks birth programmes and they all have a drip and most are numb from the breasts down, I just dont get it thats all. its been ten years since my last baby so things seems to have changed recently. I could never be restricted in childbirth I find that very alien and totally against what your body wants to do. what next, epidurals for a big hard poop?lol

I don't see how it matters to you what pain someone chooses to be in!

I don't like the idea of medicalising childbirth and most drugs are not available in midwife led units however I don't knock someone's choice to be pain free.

I was in horrendous pain with a back to back labour. I had pethadine which didn't touch me. I have left it 6 years to have number 2 as the pain has never left me. This one I am going to try and be drug free BUT I will keep an open mind for when I'm in labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It doesnt work as such, it just makes you drift away for a couple of ticks to take the edge of the contraction, its not actual pain relief.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nor me, nothing at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad isnt it? my god, giving birth is so brilliant and we only do it a couple of times or so, I blinking love it, wish I wasnt all old and shrivelled up,lol :D

Some women find it brilliant, others find it so painful with the minimal pain relief that was offered to them , they never have any more children ! Everyone's different .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see how it matters to you what pain someone chooses to be in!

I don't like the idea of medicalising childbirth and most drugs are not available in midwife led units however I don't knock someone's choice to be pain free.

I was in horrendous pain with a back to back labour. I had pethadine which didn't touch me. I have left it 6 years to have number 2 as the pain has never left me. This one I am going to try and be drug free BUT I will keep an open mind for when I'm in labour.

I had horrendous back pain with my second too, it was awful I walked and walked and walked , but it didnt really help, but before I knew it I was on the bed and having him, and it was all forgotten about the next day. Pain free to me is freaky, it alien, its just my opinion. Why does everything have to be easy and sterile and pleasant these days? childbirth is hard, but bloody brilliant , why lose that experience of a lifetime if you are just going through a normal birth as many of these girls are on telly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had horrendous back pain with my second too, it was awful I walked and walked and walked , but it didnt really help, but before I knew it I was on the bed and having him, and it was all forgotten about the next day. Pain free to me is freaky, it alien, its just my opinion. Why does everything have to be easy and sterile and pleasant these days? childbirth is hard, but bloody brilliant , why lose that experience of a lifetime if you are just going through a normal birth as many of these girls are on telly.

I didn't have back pain. Back to back labour. It's horrendous. Baby comes out facing the wrong way and is slower to move down the pelvis.

Glad you find the experiences brilliant, I didn't and wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same. You're a tad judgemental. I don't see how it matters what other people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nor me, nothing at all!

They just try and trick you into thinking it works,lol. I had nothing at all with my third, granted he was prem, and it bloody hurt worse than my other births as I pushed him out in 3 contractions start to finish, something cracked inside!lol shudder, but I dont think gas and air would have made a jot of difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't have back pain. Back to back labour. It's horrendous. Baby comes out facing the wrong way and is slower to move down the pelvis.

Glad you find the experiences brilliant, I didn't and wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same. You're a tad judgemental. I don't see how it matters what other people do.

Jeepers I have said over and over again, its MY OPINION, others are allowed to have different opinions to you you know.

When I say brilliant I mean bloody painful , but thats what we are built to do, and yes my back pain was almost unbareable too, is this a contest?lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeepers I have said over and over again, its MY OPINION, others are allowed to have different opinions to you you know.

When I say brilliant I mean bloody painful , but thats what we are built to do, and yes my back pain was almost unbareable too, is this a contest?lol

Why do you keep mentioning back pain, I never had back pain :/

Opinons are fine, you're very judgemental with them which isn't really needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you keep mentioning back pain, I never had back pain :/

Opinons are fine, you're very judgemental with them which isn't really needed.

Oh FGS I give up. S o I cant have an opinion ??I shall leave you to your very limited world then
    bye bye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everything have to be easy and sterile and pleasant these days? childbirth is hard, but bloody brilliant , why lose that experience of a lifetime if you are just going through a normal birth as many of these girls are on telly.

Even if you have an epidural, it's not easy & sterile & pleasant !

If you find it brilliant being in agony for hours with each child & an experience you feel you must go through, good for you, but remember we're not all the same,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FGS I give up. S o I cant have an opinion ??I shall leave you to your very limited world then
    bye bye.

Sorry you can't stay here to argue your opinion, your world seems as limited as you think others is !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God, I have an easier time in the soap forum :D I shall not comment on the programme again, ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bye bye.

Limited?!? I think I mentioned open mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I have an easier time in the soap forum :D I shall not comment on the programme again, ok?

Feel free to comment, just don't take offence if others disagree with you :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I did get through about 2 large canisters with my first :o:D