Lana Del Rey set to have another hit with Summertime Sadness.

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    It's debuted on the Hot 100 today.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It has. In fact, she has 2 songs in the Hot100 at the moment (the other one is Young and Beautiful).
    Lana Del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness” debuts at #72. It’s the week’s highest new entry that isn’t by Jay-Z and/or Justin Timberlake. The timely track is from Born To Die, which has sold 681K copies since its release in January 2012. Del Rey is also moving up with “Young And Beautiful” from The Great Gatsby soundtrack. That song jumps from #93 to #89 in its 12th week.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart-watch/week-ending-july-14-2013-songs-justin-back-203652920.html
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its just the heat but the remix has suddenly started to appeal to me. It'll never match the majesty of the original but it is at least respectful in that it preserves her vocal. Lets face it, given how some DJ's love to chop tunes up it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

What I really like is whatever form its taken, Summertime Sadness has been one of Lana's most enduring songs. Testimony to the quality of it. "You're gonna love this one" I remember she was quoted as saying in an early interview when asked about the track listing of the album, and we certainly do. It became a fan fave when Born to Die was released, what 1 and a half years ago now, and became a top 10 hit when released exclusively as a single for Germany and Austria about this time last year, the video getting millions of hits from across the world.

Now, all this time later its back again flying up the US chart. The irony is, in the past the American's would have laughed at how Europeans dig all these dance remixes of tunes and scoffed at how they were above that. Yet now that seems to be the sound that dominates their radio. How times change...
    Forum Member
    Airplay still rising at a very decent rate in the US; almost at 20 million now

LANA DEL REY – Summertime Sadness: 19.426 (+0.997)

#19 (combined) on US iTunes and up from last weeks #72 to #46 on the Hot100. Every chance this will beat Young and Beautiful's #22 peak. Very encouraging also that the origianl song is actually rising faster than the remix on US iTunes.

PS The remix has also started to impact UK itunes (up to the B List on radio 1's playlist).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #46 - US Hot 100
    #82 - UK Single Charts

Summertime Sadness
    #1 Cyprus
    #10 Ukraine
    #12 Cayman Islands
    #16 Russia
    #23 Bulgaria
    #23 Mongolia
    #28 Czech Republic
    #32 Jordan
    #34 Lithuania
    #36 Greece
    #36 Malta
    #38 Latvia
    #39 United States
    #41 Latvia
    #44 Belarus
    #53 Bulgaria
    #56 Moldova
    #62 Turkey
    #63 Canada
    #68 Estonia
    #70 British Virgin Islands
    #75 Mauritius
    #79 Kazakhstan
    #84 United States
    #91 Brunei Darussalam
    #91 Greece
    #92 Slovenia
    #94 Czech Republic
    #94 Israel
    #104 Cyprus
    #109 United Arab Emirates
    #111 Malta
    #112 Switzerland
    #119 Russia
    #122 Brazil
    #122 Poland
    #138 Qatar
    #139 Romania
    #143 Estonia
    #149 Mexico
    #154 Poland
    #157 Hungary
    #164 Canada
    #164 Poland
    #166 Romania
    #175 Luxembourg
    #180 Bahrain
    #191 Cyprus
    #201 Norway
    #220 Saudi Arabia
    #252 Sweden
    #295 Netherlands
    #301 France
    #333 Cambodia
    #336 Slovakia
    #339 Dominican Republic

PLUS!!! - 16!!!!! Combined in the US and she has another UK Hit on her hands.

UK iTunes

#41 (+2)
    #121 (+5)
    #183 (+10)

TOP 30 COMBINED.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not her best remix i personally prefer the Blue Jeans (Gesaffelstein Remix) It keep the majesty pf the original and built on it. surprised this remix is doing so well it's like Florence's Spectrum all over again.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IT IS NOW AT 27 ON THE UK ITUNES CHART AND IS QUICKLY CLIMBING!!!

I really hope this can be her third top ten hit here, by the looks of the charting and the radio play, it could well be!

Her album is also shooting up the charts, the leak of the old Lady Gaga 'diss-track' could have played a part in this also.
    Forum Member
    Looks like dissing Ms Germanotta, far from ending her career like some of the more loony little monsters were predicting has actually boosted her career lol. Twitter followers being added at a fair rate of knots as well (apparently she lost 50,000 almost immediately the diss track leaked but not following her on twitter I wouldn't know if there was any truth in that).

PS This remix was played at a party we went to last night and I was amazed how many people were singing along to it!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I've heard the radio mix on radio 1 a few times recently. I like Lana but I can't stand the new mix
    Forum Member
    @BBCR1
    Our first #OfficialChart new entry is @LanaDelRey at No.32 with Summertime Sadness. What do you think? Haunting stuff!

@officialcharts
    This week's highest climber is #SummertimeSadness by @LanaDelRey Vs @CedricGervais, up 50 places to #Number32 on the #OfficialChart

Currently #13 on UK iTunes and rising fast. Her 3rd top 10 UK hit single about to happen. Could it go higher than the other 2 (IIRC both stalled at #9. I'm predicting yes!).

PS Today's US airplay update

LANA DEL REY - Summertime Sadness: 21.031 (+ 1.131)

:eek:
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she is so good and beautiful, what a talent!
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    @BBCR1
    Our first #OfficialChart new entry is @LanaDelRey at No.32 with Summertime Sadness. What do you think? Haunting stuff!

@officialcharts
    This week's highest climber is #SummertimeSadness by @LanaDelRey Vs @CedricGervais, up 50 places to #Number32 on the #OfficialChart

Currently #13 on UK iTunes and rising fast. Her 3rd top 10 UK hit single about to happen. Could it go higher than the other 2 (IIRC both stalled at #9. I'm predicting yes!).

I'm so happy for her and the song! I really hope it can get into the Top 5 and, if it can, #1!!!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe this is finally a hit over a year since it was released!
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entered at #32 in the UK on today's chart. The radio remix isnt THAT bad, although the drumming is very...it doesnt add much to it. I can't really see why it would appeal unless maybe its getting club spins because its more danceable?
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Although I'm happy the song is becoming a success, I would of preferred the original version kind of like Florence and The Machine with Spectrum
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Spectrum was a better remix in my opinion, since it kept more elements of the original song.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i take back what i said, the remix isn't that bad as Radio 1 have been all over the song

It just annoys me when a remix suddenly makes a song more popular. Like last year when the remix of Spectrum became a huge hit, when the original was as perfect as anything.
    Forum Member
    Apparently they played the original version on the Radio 1 Chart Show today; that will do for me. The increased profile is certainly doing wonders for the album and I guess for Lana and Interscope that is what is most important at the end of the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they played the original version on the Radio 1 Chart Show today; that will do for me. The increased profile is certainly doing wonders for the album and I guess for Lana and Interscope that is what is most important at the end of the day.

Well the album did well enough her in the UK so it's more of an added bonus sales wise at this point. But i'm just hoping it really does the job stateside.

Also much much prefer the Gesaffelstein Remix of Blue Jeans wish that had been a hit instead. This remix is pretty meh as they go.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well the album did well enough her in the UK so it's more of an added bonus sales wise at this point. But i'm just hoping it really does the job stateside.

Also much much prefer the Gesaffelstein Remix of Blue Jeans wish that had been a hit instead. This remix is pretty meh as they go.

To be fair BTD (album) is very much a slow burner in the US and is actually experiencing amazing longevity. It's never going to sell in Gaga-like numbers there, of course, but when you take into account what miniscule airplay she has had there and the lack (until very recently) of any successful singles, to have sold over 900k albums (and for said album to be still a bit of a fixture in the Top 50 of the BB200 18 months after release) is an achievement not to be sniffed at. And her momentum there is definitely building (they are usually pretty slow on the uptake with amazing new artists but invariably get there in the end - then buy like crazy :D).
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #10 on iTunes! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair BTD (album) is very much a slow burner in the US and is actually experiencing amazing longevity. It's never going to sell in Gaga-like numbers there, of course, but when you take into account what miniscule airplay she has had there and the lack (until very recently) of any successful singles, to have sold over 900k albums (and for said album to be still a bit of a fixture in the Top 50 of the BB200 18 months after release) is an achievement not to be sniffed at. And her momentum there is definitely building (they are usually pretty slow on the uptake with amazing new artists but invariably get there in the end - then buy like crazy :D).

I agree i keep a watch on the billboards and though she has remained at the lower end she has never dropped from the top 100 and has risen and fallen consistently. I think the SNL stigma has finally gone and people are re-evaluating her and realising just what a talent she is :)

Album #2 will probably be bigger for her a bit like Adele slow and steady wins the race :p
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something that confuses me is, does this remix by Cedric count as an invidual release?

Or is the remix and original song all counted as one?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It keeps getting bigger and bigger...it is now up to #5 on uk iTunes!
    This will probably be Lana's highest chart position
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I'm really shocked by this song's success. Pop radio is eating it up!! Good for her. Too bad the US didn't appreciate the masterpieces she released before like 'Video Games' and 'Born To Die'. But with 'SS' becoming a hit, I think she has better chances of scoring a radio hit with her signature sound very soon. :)