IMDB Top 250

2»

Comments

• 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I score 137 which is a bit higher than I was expecting.

Inception is there (at 14 currently), but A Matter of Life and Death is nowhere. In any case, I would bar any film less than 5 years old from this list...too many people see a film and immediately think it's the greatest film they've even seen...until the next one they watch!
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    The list must be dynamic,.

Yeah its constantly changing, I've been concentrating on watching the ones that have stood the test of time in the list rather than currently popular stuff. Found some gems I probably would have missed the last one being 'Paths of Glory' at 57 great movie.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    105 for definite, a few more that I vaguely recall seeing some of. There are even a few in there that I actually own on DVD or blu but haven't got round to seeing yet!

I've seen 50 out of the top 87, with the highest placed film I haven't seen being "12 Angry Men".
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    82 for me. Not a big fan of the IMDb list, tbh, always far to skewered towards modern mainstream cinema for my taste.
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I've seen 50 out of the top 87, with the highest placed film I haven't seen being "12 Angry Men".

12 Angry Men is one of favourite films, it's a masterclass in building dramatic tension. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I understand that the list is somewhat populist and doesn't give representation to smaller "world" or independent cinema, but does something being popular or mainstream automatically make it less worthy of it's place or appearance on the list?

For example "The Dark Knight" is probably the best blockbuster ever, it's a brilliant film. (Perhaps not the 6th best film ever, but imo definitely list worthy.) Does being expensive, American/British, in the English language and co-financed by Warner Brothers make it any less worthy of being on the list?

(This is a genuine question rather than an attack before anybody gets offended)
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    There's a huge number of movies in that list I had to say "really?" to. The Hobbit,being just one of many.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that the list is somewhat populist and doesn't give representation to smaller "world" or independent cinema, but does something being popular or mainstream automatically make it less worthy of it's place or appearance on the list?

For example "The Dark Knight" is probably the best blockbuster ever, it's a brilliant film. (Perhaps not the 6th best film ever, but imo definitely list worthy.) Does being expensive, American/British, in the English language and co-financed by Warner Brothers make it any less worthy of being on the list?

(This is a genuine question rather than an attack before anybody gets offended)

when it comes to lists like this i always tend to think of this clip from Dead Poets Society:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmayC2AdkNw

Because the greatness of a film really cannot be measured by where it winds up on a list compiled because at the end of the day it's all about how an individual connects to a film.

It just makes me a little sad that many people will never get to share a lot of the films I think are great because they are more obscure. :)