[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted - cross posted.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titchmarsh started off as a 'gardening expert' who used to appear as a guest on cheap and tacky daytime TV shows in about 1979.

For some bizarre and UNKNOWN reason, he was given his first job as one of the presenters fronting Pebble Mill At One, which was on BBC1 over 30 years ago.

This prompted one guest, famous American based actor David Tomlinson, to say to Titchmarsh's face, 'I came over here to be interviewed by a superannuated gardener.' :o

The rest is history.

So from a mere gardener, Titchmarsh has gone on to meet and interview Royality and appears to be now an expert on classical music, often hosting regular radio programmes.

Not only that but he has turned novelist and journalist with a succession of 'best selling novels' and regular newspaper and magazine columns.:confused::o

His rise to popularity and success is one of the biggest mysteries of the last and current century.:o:confused:confused:

"The Perennial Plant Potter" only got the Gardner's World job on the death of Geoff Hamilton, who was the "True" BBC gardener."
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I don't! Once was enough - just thought it was ok to mention what I saw yesterday, since there was a thread about the show?
    Fair point! The only reason I read the thread was because I quite liked Adam & the Ants back in the day but I couldn't believe the hate and vitriol being dished out on the presenter.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Fair point! The only reason I read the thread was because I quite liked Adam & the Ants back in the day but I couldn't believe the hate and vitriol being dished out on the presenter.

Just someone else, to add to a long list on DS, they all seem to hate for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just someone else, to add to a long list on DS, they all seem to hate for no apparent reason.

"Hate" is a world often attributed to those who dare criticise "someone's favourite" but rarely do we see it in print.

That's DS for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hate" is a world often attributed to those who dare criticise "someone's favourite" but rarely do we see it in print.

That's DS for you.
    World?
    Well he's no favourite of mine, haven't really got an opinion of him. Don't watch the programme, only looked at the thread to see what Adam Ant did. Just fed up with someone else being heavily criticised for no valid reason, and it seemed pretty hateful to me.

A feeble attempt to justify unnecessary criticism?
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Checking if it's time for his medication?:p

:D Nice one, imo AA looked rather silly back in the day.... he hasn't changed none.:D
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was probably a while before that, my father was a landscape gardener before he retired and his path and ATs path crossed a couple of times.my dad won gold at the Chelsea flower show, but of course he didn't get any of the glory, the people he was contracted with appeared on Pebble Mill with AT, while my dad watched it at home:( all that hard work and the people paying for it take all of the glory.

I have no idea how he got into TV, right place, right time I suppose.

Didn't he come from a privileged background?

If yes as I believe then it was probably a case of who you know rather than earning it with his talent.

He is also a Tory supporter which doesn't go down well with me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World?
    Well he's no favourite of mine, haven't really got an opinion of him. Don't watch the programme, only looked at the thread to see what Adam Ant did. Just fed up with someone else being heavily criticised for no valid reason, and it seemed pretty hateful to me.

A rather "feeble response" as all I've said, was that he got the job on Gardner's World on the the death of Jeff Hamilton.
    That wasn't "hate." That was a statement of fact, but I still stand by what I said about the attribution of a word to people who haven't used it, by those who don't bother to check the facts.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam checking his watch lol

http://youtu.be/0uLvW7YQY1g

LOL. Loved that, poor Adam! :D Have never watched this show myself as I don't much care for Titchmarsh but you have to feel sorry for AA if going on a show like this is one of the few ways of being able to promote yourself and whatever it is your doing these days.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand the "Perennial Plant Potter" at any time.

Not seen Adam Ant in years. The last time was in 1985 when he was appearing with Sylvia Syms in "Entertaining Mr Sloan" at the Royal Exchange Theatre.

From what I've heard, he hasn't worn well.

He had a new album out last year , highly acclaimed , great reviews . A friend of mine bought it , some crazy lyrics on there . He did some promo for it at the time , so he has been around since 1985 .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's DS for you.
    World?

A rather "feeble response" as all I've said, was that he got the job on Gardner's World on the the death of Jeff Hamilton.
    That wasn't "hate." That was a statement of fact, but I still stand by what I said about the attribution of a word to people who haven't used it, by those who don't bother to check the facts.

If you look back you will see I am responding to your post quoting mine because I thought you were misunderstanding that I was a fan of AT. Not your comment on Gardeners World etc. I hadn't even noticed that one and I'm sure it couldn't possibly have been 'hateful'. :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol Adam checking his watch was rather hilarious.

Then at the end of the show we see them all sat at the table and Belinda on the end slunched in her chair. At one point her hand is on her face - probably about to fall asleep! Classic TV

Maybe they should rethink the idea of having the guests all sit at the table through the whole show (bored out of their brains)

They can't afford the green room, clearly. :p

Adam Ant looked alright recently when being interviewed on Sounds Of The 80's on radio, with it being broadcast on the BBC red button at the same time.

This Titchmarsh show is garbage beyond belief. Had to endure it a couple of times when my mum watched it in my presence. He didn't even seem remotely interested in his guests the day I caught, and clearly the research was lacking. It was a cringe from top to bottom. How do some utterly ordinary and average people like him get away with it for so long? Titchmarsh is as sickly bland as ITV's other, Jeremy Kyle is sickly revolting. Blend the 2 extremes and ITV might get something better, but not much better.

The show isn't even live! A friend of my mother went to one and it was finally shown about a week later.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The show isn't even live! A friend of my mother went to one and it was finally shown about a week later.
    I had always heard Monday-Wednesday are live with Thurs & Friday pre-records but It may have changed?
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    Didn't he come from a privileged background?

If yes as I believe then it was probably a case of who you know rather than earning it with his talent.

He is also a Tory supporter which doesn't go down well with me!

Just because someone comes from a privileged background, doesn't mean that they're not talented. Also it seems pretty shallow to judge someone's tv show on which way they vote. Having said that, I can't stand the annoying little tory pr*ck. :D
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed it because i was at School but i saw Adam Ant on "This Morning" (13/2/2014) and i was off school because i had a alwfully bad cold.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had always heard Monday-Wednesday are live with Thurs & Friday pre-records but It may have changed?
    This sounds identical to the way Paul O'Grady's chat show is made.