Options

Rita Ora set to replace Kylie according to reports

DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
Forum Member
✭✭
Pop star Rita Ora has signed up as a coach on The Voice – months after rejecting a £1million offer from Simon Cowell to star on this year’s X Factor.

The singer, 23, whose hits include RIP and How We Do, has agreed a six-figure deal and BBC bosses are preparing to make the announcement.

Rita will replace Kylie Minogue, 46, after the Aussie left the panel earlier this year.

A show insider said: “Rita is the pop star of the moment, the Beeb are delighted. They think she’s going to be a ratings hit and even more popular than Kylie.

“It has taken months of negotiations but Rita is happy and thinks the show is a much better fit for her than The X Factor.

“She’ll still be able to get on with her music and it won’t take over her life as much as The X Factor.”

Rita is expected to sit on the panel with current coaches will.i.am, Ricky Wilson and Tom Jones.

The source said: “It is pretty set in stone that Will, Ricky and Tom will return. They are very much up for being on the panel and they’ve all met Rita, so they are delighted.”

Simon, 54, offered Rita a £1million X Factor deal this year after she was a guest judge on the ITV talent show in 2012. But the singer turned him down at the last minute.

A spokesman for The Voice production firm Wall to Wall and the BBC said: “It is too early to confirm speculation. An announcement will be made in due course.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/rita-ora-star-voice-judge-4087375

It's being reported by various outlets, but until there's an announcement from the BBC, I'd still take it with a pinch of salt. It looks like it's a done deal though.

So what are people's thoughts? I think this is an OK appointment. Not terrible, but not fantastic either. She's still only young and relatively inexperienced, but she's relevant and popular enough to get people interested. She had a number 1 this year, so she's doing alright. I do think her voice is good enough too to merit sitting on one of the chairs.

Comments

• Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Sheesh, I was hoping for Kate Bush.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Ugh. That's like losing 50 pounds and finding 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This "source" seems adamant Ricky will return, I thought his group's tour was going to clash with it?
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Ugh. That's like losing 50 pounds and finding 5.

Totally, a poor mans Rihanna
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will is back ?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess she'll attract the younger audience, and if it's on in January again it'll still get good ratings, they might also want her for tabloid sakes, since she's in the papers constantly

Dies she have personality or is she bland & dull?
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    ARita Ora - a pointless clothes horse and publicity ****. Just about makes this show unwatchable now
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    It's being reported by various outlets, but until there's an announcement from the BBC, I'd still take it with a pinch of salt. It looks like it's a done deal though

She's tweeted that she's joining the show already, so I'd say it's a done deal.

https://twitter.com/RitaOra/status/514323897807040512
  • Options
    samcheesesamcheese Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh. Can't stand her just like I can't stand Jessie J. Annoying people
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible replacement,will give it a watch but I cannot see it holding my attention.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Always comes across as a try hard, She has to be the 'Funny one' or the most controversial one on everything she is on

Think Jesse J but even more in love with herself and even less talented
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    The BBC truly has no taste or money!
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Always comes across as a try hard, She has to be the 'Funny one' or the most controversial one on everything she is on

Think Jesse J but even more in love with herself and even less talented

This. Terrible appointment.
    It's hard to find anybody that'd annoy me more than Jessie J that they coud've put on the Voice except Rita Ora.
    Kylie Minogue to Rita Ora - talk about a difference in quality.

Whoever Rita's agent is deserves every penny of what they're getting though - you can't avoid her for love nor money (and I've tried).
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Ricky still a coach
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Of all the singers they could've picked, why her? She's everywhere & yet I can't remember any of her music.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More popular than Kylie? She's not even in the same league as Kylie!
    I don't know what it is about Ora but I just can't warm to her; I'm also fed up of seeing her everywhere!
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's is people's obsession with this Ora woman?! Why is so much attention given to her by the media, like she's some huge star or something? I couldn't name you a single song by her! I'm sure I must have heard some somewhere but they were clearly in one ear and out the other as I can'r remember any! What a disappointment after Kylie!
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't have been my first (or even tenth) choice. But I'll probably still watch for the others and just f-fwd her bits if she's ghastly.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent replacement. Young and relevant, unlike Kylie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know of her and vaguely of a couple of her songs, and that she has done some film work. That's about it. Beyond that she's an open book for me. Be interesting to see what she is like and how she does.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    This "source" seems adamant Ricky will return, I thought his group's tour was going to clash with it?

Ricky said on twitter that they have postponed their US tour from September until April. The show doesn't start till January but I suppose they film all the blinds earlier.

The BBC have confirmed Rita Ora as judge and the other 3 are staying.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/rita-ora-voice

Can't say I'm looking forward to it as much now.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The papers are saying Will.am, Ricky and Tom are all back.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they'll keep every thing the same as last year minus Kylie, I'd got rid of Marvin as co-host but oh well
  • Options
    davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    yay!!! I like Rita, she's young and Fresh