Options

Old stuff they used to have at school you remember?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We used to do something called 'Technical Drawing' as a subject and that had things associated with it like compasses, protractors........anyone remember any other drawing instruments

Set square ?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    We were posh and had railings dividing us Swing :D OMG you had to walk down the street clinging onto your bits to stop weeing :p

I remember the lads having weeing competitions to see who could wee the highest. Well my brothers told me about them. lmao.

Our little buggers have these posh urinals now which the crafty ones bung up with tissue so that they overflow :D

Only if you got splinters in yer fingers Benji :D

I was smiling to myself yesterday in a resource room which still has woodchip in it Benji :D I think it's something that has been overlooked somehow

I remember when woodchip was cool and cutting edge;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the lads having weeing competitions to see who could wee the highest. Well my brothers told me about them. lmao.

If you could pee over the wall at ours you were peeing into the street !

I remember it being often mentioned as something to achieve but I don't remember anyone actually doing it.......after all we were probably only four feet tall and the wall was probably 10 foot.......
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our classroom was half distemper paint, and wood panels in what was commonly know as corporation green.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I remember when woodchip was cool and cutting edge;-).

:D All your rooms were wood chip and painted in various colours, I remember it as a child, then it changed and your fingers got damaged :p
    swingaleg wrote: »
    If you could pee over the wall at ours you were peeing into the street !

I remember it being often mentioned as something to achieve but I don't remember anyone actually doing it.......after all we were probably only four feet tall and the wall was probably 10 foot.......

Or on someones head :o

I so remember my brothers telling me, I'm sure it had to be some kind of Primary fantasy that they could wee over the wall and be some macho type person :D I bet you did about 9 feet :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    We had a local explorer who used to come into assembly and tell us about his trips to the Himalayas and other far-flung places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I so remember my brothers telling me, I'm sure it had to be some kind of Primary fantasy that they could wee over the wall and be some macho type person :D I bet you did about 9 feet :p

the girls did 9 feet........it was a rough school......:cool::p
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that sticks in my memory was the geography teachers having rubber rollers which could print a map of the world (or elsewhere) across a page of an exercise book so that we could fill in the details of whatever the lesson was about. Helped to instill a lifelong love of maps in me.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    One thing that sticks in my memory was the geography teachers having rubber rollers which could print a map of the world (or elsewhere) across a page of an exercise book so that we could fill in the details of whatever the lesson was about. Helped to instill a lifelong love of maps in me.

yeah we had those Think we has a UK one and a Europe one
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    the girls did 9 feet........it was a rough school......:cool::p

:o...I sort of guessed you were from a rough school! *coughs* :D
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    At primary school, b&w films about christian missionaries & African tribes. Pens with slot in nibs for dipping in inkwells. Anyone found with a biro was given 100 lines (in pencil)
    At secondary school, doing a secretarial course in the 6th form & learning to type on a manual typewriter! Loads more like free milk, detentions for not wearing uniform & teachers that were allowed to clip us round the ear!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At primary school, b&w films about christian missionaries & African tribes. Pens with slot in nibs for dipping in inkwells. Anyone found with a biro was given 100 lines (in pencil)
    At secondary school, doing a secretarial course in the 6th form & learning to type on a manual typewriter! Loads more like free milk, detentions for not wearing uniform & teachers that were allowed to clip us round the ear!

Was that the film about Father Damien and the leper colony? I remember seeing that and getting upset when Father D said he had caught leprosy:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad Yes! I'd forgotten his name also Albert Schweitzer (?sp) and one I particularly remember - not medical or missionary - but about a pygmy tribe that exploited them for their novelty value & impressed on us 7 year olds (in the 50's) the need to "civilise" them! Rule Britannia & all that!
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Some kind of primitive photocopier thing with a drum that you had to manually rotate for each copy. Always used purple ink which had that lovely solventy smell.
    Roneo Vickers stencil machine. We did the school magazine on one of those.
    <snip>
    My mind goes to Gestetner (sp)

My memory is of the milk monitor (several years above me) - I hated him. He was the one that got to go to the local shop to buy the Headmistresses Polo's and 10 Woodbines. Head Teachers pet.....>:(

I didn't find out for years that I'd actually married the sod :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad Yes! I'd forgotten his name also Albert Schweitzer (?sp) and one I particularly remember - not medical or missionary - but about a pygmy tribe that exploited them for their novelty value & impressed on us 7 year olds (in the 50's) the need to "civilise" them! Rule Britannia & all that!

I have a slight memory of the pygmy film Did you get one about the Royal family having a picnic? All done up in tweeds and tartan, even the kids Looked like the most boring thing in the world The dialogue was dreadful Stuff like "Oh Anne Are you having another cake you greedy sausage?" and "Oh I say This ginger beer is delicious" It was truly dreadful stuff
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Our classroom was half distemper paint, and wood panels in what was commonly know as corporation green.

Speaking of green...our secondary school had green blackboards, even though
    schools were supposed to use, y'know, actual black blackboards?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    I have a slight memory of the pygmy film Did you get one about the Royal family having a picnic? All done up in tweeds and tartan, even the kids Looked like the most boring thing in the world The dialogue was dreadful Stuff like "Oh Anne Are you having another cake you greedy sausage?" and "Oh I say This ginger beer is delicious" It was truly dreadful stuff

I don't remember that one but I do remember national savings stamps with Charles & Annes faces on them!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smell of chalk and from primary school days, milk at room temperature, dirty brown plasticine and counting rods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't remember that one but I do remember national savings stamps with Charles & Annes faces on them!

We got a lesson on road safety from some fat old copper and then he gave us Tufty Club badges Had a squirrel on it for some reason
    Did you get the school dentist? We had some old sadist who It was rumoured had been in a POW camp during the war and he was a butcher! Kids used to come out of the caravan thing holding a wad of paper to their bleeding mouths and crying for their mammy Am sure school dentists put a generation of people in mortal fear of dentistry
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Do they still cancel lessons for various things on telly in schools these days?

I seem to recall being "allowed" to sit in a room with a heap of other kids so we could watch Virginia Wade get beaten at Wimbledon or watch England get knocked out of some World Cup or other.
    Frankly, I'd rather have done double-maths instead.

Still, on one occasion our class got to watch Watership Down instead of doing lessons.
    No idea how that fitted into any syllabus at all. :confused:
  • Options
    petertreepetertree Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The caretakers cupboard in the outside loos that we were convinced was locked because there was a dead chid sitting on a loo inside.
    The straw with a piece of 'lipstick' in it that flavoured the free milk, once a year.
    Being put on the stage (or various other 'tortures) to finish your dinner if you didn't eat everything. Thinking now that those poor dinner ladies had lived through rationing and I can understand their horror at the waste.
    One teacher who tried to be modern and had made an epidiascope, and on Friday afternoons we sat on our tables and watched as various books and clippings were shown on a screen.
    Individual chalk boards and dusters.
    Something rubbed off though as I know what SOH CAH TOA means!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Do they still cancel lessons for various things on telly in schools these days?

I seem to recall being "allowed" to sit in a room with a heap of other kids so we could watch Virginia Wade get beaten at Wimbledon or watch England get knocked out of some World Cup or other.
    Frankly, I'd rather have done double-maths instead.

Still, on one occasion our class got to watch Watership Down instead of doing lessons.
    No idea how that fitted into any syllabus at all. :confused:

No we never got to watch sports but have just recalled that the whole school got taken out to line the roadside and applaud Jimmy Savile as he passed our school on one of his charity walks Had forgotten all about that until an old friend reminded me recently
  • Options
    petertreepetertree Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and the other day I burst into song - singing 'Who is Sylvia, what is she?' Could you imagine a class of 7-8 year olds sitting around listening to the radio, singing songs such as 'Rule Britannia' 'Men of Harlech' and 'Greensleeves', now? This was the late 50s, early 60s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    We got a lesson on road safety from some fat old copper and then he gave us Tufty Club badges Had a squirrel on it for some reason
    Did you get the school dentist? We had some old sadist who It was rumoured had been in a POW camp during the war and he was a butcher! Kids used to come out of the caravan thing holding a wad of paper to their bleeding mouths and crying for their mammy Am sure school dentists put a generation of people in mortal fear of dentistry

We had the tufty club badges, I still don't know what the squirrel had to do with it! We also had the school dentist but I had very protruding teeth & by age 7 I was already wearing a brace so I didn't have to go. I think they realised I had suffered enough! Didn't excuse me from the eye tests or Nitty Nora the flea nurse though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petertree wrote: »
    Oh and the other day I burst into song - singing 'Who is Sylvia, what is she?' Could you imagine a class of 7-8 year olds sitting around listening to the radio, singing songs such as 'Rule Britannia' 'Men of Harlech' and 'Greensleeves', now? This was the late 50s, early 60s.

Is that a song from Elizabethan times?