Options

Clocks Go Back One Hour

Comments

• Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    For the sake of the cows up here I want everyone having sex on Friday night or Saturday morning to orgasm by making a cow sound like moooooooooooooooo.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    This is deliberate to kill my last few remaining brain cells isn't it?

I have friends in LA that I have to take 8 hours off from our time when chatting with them and currently they are visiting a state that is only 6 hours behind us. - and now we are going back an hour AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

And then LA is going back an hour on Sunday, 2 November 2014 so all should return to the usual madness.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    This is deliberate to kill my last few remaining brain cells isn't it?

I have friends in LA that I have to take 8 hours off from our time when chatting with them and currently they are visiting a state that is only 6 hours behind us. - and now we are going back an hour AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Look at you you swanky show off with your American friends! :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine what it would be like if we all stuck to one time all over the world. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Look at you you swanky show off with your American friends! :D

I didn't say they liked me! :p
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always heard DJs saying expecially at the BBC watching the clocks spin back and having to work an extra hour.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I always heard DJs saying expecially at the BBC watching the clocks spin back and having to work an extra hour.

That's a point how does it work with the clocks going back on the nightshifts?
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they go back I wouldn't mind them staying that way for good.

If they did that, it would mean pre 4am June sunsets even in the south, which would be a huge waste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you imagine what it would be like if we all stuck to one time all over the world. :eek:

It's worse in one country like the USA where you can (deep breath!) get on a plane in LA at 12 mid-day, fly for about 5 hours to Washington DC (Which is in the future by 3 hours) and so get there at 8pm in the evening!

So take off at 12 mid-day, land at 8pm at night and it only takes 5 hours.

Then there is the trip back into the past the other way. :eek:

Take off from Washington at 12 mid-day - Fly for 5 hours to LA and land at 2pm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how a country as huge as China copes with a single timezone?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    I guess it is decided that it evens itself up over the year.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always look forward to the clocks going back in october. It heralds lighter mornings until the end of november when we are back to the dark mornings as we are now. But getting up for work when it is dark is a real stinker. Not fussed about dark nights. Though you can close the curtains and shut the world out.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Always look forward to the clocks going back in october. It heralds lighter mornings until the end of november when we are back to the dark mornings as we are now. But getting up for work when it is dark is a real stinker. Not fussed about dark nights. Though you can close the curtains and shut the world out.

I don't think dark mornings last long once the shortest day hits us in December.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think dark mornings last long once the shortest day hits us in December.

The mornings actually get darker until the beginning of January. The earliest sunset is around 13th/14th December. Of-course whether you notice this is down to the weather - if it's clear you notice light in the sky much earlier or later than if it is cloudy.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Why - they take care of themselves these days?

Annoyingly, most of mine still don't. The clock on the microwave doesn't, the clock on the oven doesn't, the clock on the central heating doesn't, the clock in my car doesn't, even the clock on my mobile phone doesn't! In fact the only clock that does is my bedsite alarm clock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    2am this Sunday morning, they always go back at 2am on the last Sunday morning of October

Thanks :) I don't really tend to notice that they've changed until later during the day.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I guess it is decided that it evens itself up over the year.

Last year our nightshift finished an hour earlier.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can put back every clock and timer and device in the house except the inner clock in a babys head
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends on how you are paid but those on salary per shifts ( before overtime) it tends to even up as you do a 9 hour shift when they go back and a 7 hour one when they go forward.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    2am this Sunday morning, they always go back at 2am on the last Sunday morning of October
    Where's the fun in putting the alarm on for 2am just to wake up to turn the clock back an hour so you can go back to sleep for an extra hour?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    That hour drags for a Sunday..makes it longer boring day Haha oh well, at least we get longer in bed lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    That hour drags for a Sunday..makes it longer boring day Haha oh well, at least we get longer in bed lol

What about those who don't go to bed until after the change?:D
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I can't be doing with magical self adjusting clocks. I never know what's changed and what's not.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I wonder, is there some sort of code, or terminology, that is used for situations where it is necessary to be precise about which of the two hours from 01:00 to 02:00 you mean, on this day of the year? Eg, in court, where a crime was committed between 01:15 and 01:45, did the crime take place over the course of 30 minutes or 90 minutes? Or military/navigation issues, etc etc...? How do they notate it?
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    An extra hour of sex.
    You'll all do what us Scots tell you to do. If we say turn your clocks back then DO IT okay. And someone get me a sandwich and tea, i'm hungry.
    Well go on, chop chop. Those sammiches aren't gonna make themselves.

Mmm, haven't come across you yet.... or maybe I have in a previous life.

I bloody hate the clocks going back, it's bad enough not being able to sleep then the eejits give an extra hour to stare longer into space!
    Just what I need, an additional hour a day in my life.