Films that stay with you

2»

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Threads. I watched that film almost a year ago and I've thought about it almost every day since.

Aye. Probably the most disturbing drama I've ever seen. First saw it on TV in the 1980s (that was when nuclear war was a real possibility, kids) and it scared the heck out of me.

I watched it again on youtube about a year ago and it's lost none of its power to shock over the past 30 or so years.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    ^ The Breakfast Club?

Understandable and easy to forgive in our day-glo, mid-80s sugar rush youth, but have you seen it these days?

It's shocking :o

Ah, Johnny. We were all thinking this but you had to come out and say it.:p
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack. I absolutely adored that film when I was younger, and still do.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I'll get laughed at for this but "rise of the guardians" is my choice.

It was like being a kid all over again. Then comes the knowledge that you are never going to be like that ever again and all you have left is memories and regrets.

Jesus I need a drink
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When The Wind Blows
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    many of the films mentioned..when the wind blows,threads,wolf creek,one flew over the cuckoos nest..two films I had no idea about when I first watched them completely drew me in..Tyranosaur and Never Let Me Go..
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyranosaur has stayed with me. Mainly at how heartbreaking Olivia Colman is and she gave the best performance by any actress at that time when all the awards season was happening.

Another Year has also stayed with me, mainly because of how bleak life can really be and also for Lesley Manville's performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always remember Hitchcocks' Saboteur, for the final Statue Of Liberty sequence. Saw it first back in the 40s. Also Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, for Cagneys' performance & the blackmail sequence of the detective, Ward Bond. Terrific stuff!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'll get laughed at for this but "rise of the guardians" is my choice.

It was like being a kid all over again. Then comes the knowledge that you are never going to be like that ever again and all you have left is memories and regrets.

Jesus I need a drink

Totally agree on this... there's something about this film that is so simple, innocent and charming. It was a joy to watch and definitely sits as my favourite Dreamworks film. It felt exactly like those mad little dreams do when you're a child.

I really hope it gets a sequel at some point - the books are there for it. :)

In a different way, The Truman Show stuck with me... a very good film with a message that is very relevant today...we accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Awakenings.

I cried for hours after it had finished.

Sophie's Choice.

Another one that affected me deeply.

Will never forget either of them
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brokeback Mountain. Thoughts about wasted lives and what could have been keep lingering for a long time. Poignant scenes - dialogue with Jack's parents, the entwining of the 2 bloodstained shirts and what it symbolised.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    Brokeback Mountain. Thoughts about wasted lives and what could have been keep lingering for a long time. Poignant scenes - dialogue with Jack's parents, the entwining of the 2 bloodstained shirts and what it symbolised.
    Oh yes.....:cry::cry::cry:
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Velveteen wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, Requiem for a Dream. I didn't even like the idea of taking an ibuprofen for a while afterwards.

This totally! How Ellen Burstyn wasn't given Best Actress for that performance will be one of life's mysteries for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Kill List
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Casualties Of War

Saw it when I was too young to be watching it and the girl's rape and murder,combined with Ennio Morricone's score got under my skin.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Arachnophobia. I really didn't like spiders as a kid but this made me even more afraid of them. I really do hate spiders
    Arachnophobia provides one of the Hollywood's cautionary tales about being careful what you believe at your test screenings... as is common practice, the studio arranged lots of anonymous advance screenings of the film to guage audience reaction, recruiting people from cinema queues to see a "new thriller from Amblin Entertainment" for free. After the screenings, the audience has to fill in cards saying what they think of the film, and the ones for Arachnophobia were really positive, leading the studio to believe they had a major hit on their hands... until opening night, when virtually no-one turned up, and the movie turned out to be quite a flop.

What they'd failed to consider was that everyone at the advance screenings didn't know what they were seeing, so enjoyed it as a captive audience, but very few people would knowingly go to see a film all about spiders!
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same Time Next Year (1978) - a beautifully woven story about two lovers who are married to other people and who meet once a year at their favourite cabin. Spans three decades. Excellent.

The Trip to Bountiful - Geraldine Page...no other reason necessary.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

The Bridges of Madison County - saw this film for the first time on DVD last Xmas and it moved me immensely.

Terms of Endearment.

Goodbye Mr Chips (1939 version but the Martin Clunes remake was excellent as well)

Tootsie :p