We're not voting on who we think will sell.

13»

Comments

• MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's silly that you said Susan Boyle wasn't marketable. Rihannah is, but it's a clear case of the teenie market against the mature market. Sam B will sell. As would Tamera. But Sam B has more chance of selling a decent amount than Tamer - who is a poor rate Rihanna.

Nope. Susan Boyle had viral audition video going for her. Sam B doesn't have a viral audition video or anything like that. 6 months after her X Factor win, she will be forgotten.

If Susan Boyle was really marketable, she would still be receiving great promotion for each album release. Her albums would still sell millions worldwide.

Susan's album sales in the US

#1 - 3,974,000
    #2 - 2,123,000
    #3 - 416,000
    #4 - even less
    #5 - 12,000 in week 1
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh! Thank you!

In my head I completely forget Loud and GGGB - two of my favourite albums of hers - only counted 5! Surprised at Talk That Talk though! My least favourite album from her! Hmm! I wouldn't use Wiki though for exact sales! Sometimes its a bit out! !

lol hilarious you "forgot" her two biggest albums.... i think someone is trying to back track cos they got caught out.

Other than that i agree with the main point of your thread, i dont vote on who i think will be a big seller in the future. I vote based on who has entertained me the most that night (if i do vote, which isnt very often). I would then only buy the music they released if i also liked it... which isn't very often tbh. I think i have like one Shayne Ward song and one Joe Mceldry one (Ambitions).

I don't really care if they sell records once the competition is over, the tv show is the main entertainment to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote on who I like the best on the show, who I want to keep seeing on the show. The past series has shown that you don't have to win to be successful post-show so I think it makes more sense to just vote for who you like best in the hopes they win. I like Sam B and she's the only one I would likely vote for again, she also needs a win more than the others because without it she has pretty much no chance of a record deal sadly.
  • humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole "Sam B, Nicholas, Abi wont sell" rubbish is grating on me. We're not asked to vote on who will sell the most records, or make the most money.

We're voting on a group of things like voice, stage presence and likeability. All of which put Sam B streets ahead of any other contestant this year. People say she wont sell, and therefore shouldn't win are just talking a load of crap. There is no certainty that ANY of this years lot will sell. The only one that looks like she could sell is probably Tamera, and even then she isn't exactly liked by the public, so will most likely have a Misha B/Amelia Lily route. Why the hell must we vote on who will sell? We vote for who we like, who we think is the best, and for me - and clearly the majority of others - that is Sam B.

The xfactor itself gives enough exposure for the contestants to become stars and gain a fanbase big enough to achieve this. A win is not necessary, as one direction will tell you.

It does irritate me a bit with this fascination to find something 'different' or 'new' or 'edgy' for it to be considered worthy of a win. Well not if it sounds rubbish and I don't like listening to it, theres no point on how unique it is. A basic concept, but I go by if I like the sound of it, if I enjoyed listening to it, and would I like to hear it again.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    This whole "Sam B, Nicholas, Abi wont sell" rubbish is grating on me. We're not asked to vote on who will sell the most records, or make the most money.

We're voting on a group of things like voice, stage presence and likeability. All of which put Sam B streets ahead of any other contestant this year. People say she wont sell, and therefore shouldn't win are just talking a load of crap. There is no certainty that ANY of this years lot will sell. The only one that looks like she could sell is probably Tamera, and even then she isn't exactly liked by the public, so will most likely have a Misha B/Amelia Lily route. Why the hell must we vote on who will sell? We vote for who we like, who we think is the best, and for me - and clearly the majority of others - that is Sam B.

I have mixed feelings on this because while i mostly pick a favourite based on who i like, i still consider whether an act will just flop if they were to win. Also think how cruel it will be to acts likes sam bailey and nicholas (the two i think will flop) when after being told how amazing they are every week only to flop one year later and be dropped by syco. Remember this has sadly happened to a few acts by now over the years so maybe it's kinder to allow someone who will sell music to win so as not to build someone up who will inevitably fail.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    lol hilarious you "forgot" her two biggest albums.... i think someone is trying to back track cos they got caught out.

Other than that i agree with the main point of your thread, i dont vote on who i think will be a big seller in the future. I vote based on who has entertained me the most that night (if i do vote, which isnt very often). I would then only buy the music they released if i also liked it... which isn't very often tbh. I think i have like one Shayne Ward song and one Joe Mceldry one (Ambitions).

I don't really care if they sell records once the competition is over, the tv show is the main entertainment to me.

Backtrack? Not at all! I genuinely miscounted - I should of googled before stating anything.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings on this because while i mostly pick a favourite based on who i like, i still consider whether an act will just flop if they were to win. Also think how cruel it will be to acts likes sam bailey and nicholas (the two i think will flop) when after being told how amazing they are every week only to flop one year later and be dropped by syco. Remember this has sadly happened to a few acts by now over the years so maybe it's kinder to allow someone who will sell music to win so as not to build someone up who will inevitably fail.

I don't know - Joe for instance isn't exactly setting the pop world alight, in the perspective of many he's flopped, but while he isn't 1D in terms of success he's having a various career in music and winning XF has likely opened more than a few doors for him that wouldn't have been open otherwise.

Is anyone's voting really a matter of trying to pick a winner, the contestant who would have the biggest post-show career? Can't say mine is. If I enjoyed or much valued hearing Abi, Nicholas or either Sam I'd be putting votes their way: then, I'd be hoping to buy their albums too.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    EdgarK wrote: »
    I don't know - Joe for instance isn't exactly setting the pop world alight, in the perspective of many he's flopped, but while he isn't 1D in terms of success he's having a various career in music and winning XF has likely opened more than a few doors for him that wouldn't have been open otherwise.

Is anyone's voting really a matter of trying to pick a winner, the contestant who would have the biggest post-show career? Can't say mine is. If I enjoyed or much valued hearing Abi, Nicholas or either Sam I'd be putting votes their way: then, I'd be hoping to buy their albums too.

Your right about joe but it doesn't always turn out that way for them all. I liked joe and must admit i didn't care if joe was successful i was just happy he beat the awful olly murs and almost as bad stacey.
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it's supposed to be an entertainment show, instead it's just a promotion for Syco. Been that way for a long time now though. About 10 years ;)
    The public would be just as happy with the winner getting a cash prize. The record companies would still put people in and sign those they want. It's a con, but to be fair, people do pretty much realise this by now, including the contestants. So long as people watch and vote then the scam will continue.
    But expecting people to vote for Syco's favourites as they are offering the prize is a bit like saying there is no point in watching or voting if you don't like them.
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, week after week we are told by Dermot O'Leary to vote for our FAVOURITE act. Your favourite act may just be the most talentless singer that ever walked the earth.

Guidelines on how to vote based on ability, technique, marketability, looks, personality, stage presence, who might sell the most records etc... have never been released or discussed.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Rihannah meanwhile sells millions of albums with each of her releases" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......no. In the US maybe, but she gets nowhere NEAR that in the UK.

Susan Boyle was marketable. There was obviously a huge place in the market for her. And there still is. She still manages to get top 10 and stay top 40 long enough. It's the same people that have stuck by her whereas people like Ke$ha, Rita Ora and so on all move on and don't buy the albums.

And the US market is huge comparison to the UK and she doesn't need to be as popular in the UK if she has already conquered the US market (just to clarify that I totally despise Rihanna but even I have to be reasonable about this)...I hate pop artists in general as many of them are terrible singers
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caz789 wrote: »
    I agree, it's supposed to be an entertainment show, instead it's just a promotion for Syco. Been that way for a long time now though. About 10 years ;)
    The public would be just as happy with the winner getting a cash prize. The record companies would still put people in and sign those they want. It's a con, but to be fair, people do pretty much realise this by now, including the contestants. So long as people watch and vote then the scam will continue.
    But expecting people to vote for Syco's favourites as they are offering the prize is a bit like saying there is no point in watching or voting if you don't like them.

They have really taken their eye off the ball this year. The producers decimated all four categories and sent many strong singers home seemingly to try and guarantee the win for Tamera.

If that is indeed the case, that was a catastrophic error. Ratings are at rock bottom and I bet the voting figures are equally bad. It's supposed to be a Saturday night entertainment show, not a Syco benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelw1969 wrote: »
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, week after week we are told by Dermot O'Leary to vote for our FAVOURITE act. Your favourite act may just be the most talentless singer that ever walked the earth.

Guidelines on how to vote based on ability, technique, marketability, looks, personality, stage presence, who might sell the most records etc... have never been released or discussed.

The show is essentially a popularity contest, Big Brother set to music (something that the muppets running the thing constantly forget by ramming the likes of Ella Henderson and Tamera down the public's throats and trying to force people to like them).
  • BodyElectric.BodyElectric. Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will YOU sell? You claimed to have auditioned before and was scouted by XF Producers.

We still haven't heard any of your stuff? Where is it?
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will YOU sell? You claimed to have auditioned before and was scouted by XF Producers.

We still haven't heard any of your stuff? Where is it?

What even? Haha! Will I sell? I have no idea! I don't even know If I want to audition again.

Demanding to hear my stuff, what does that have to do with this thread?

Feel free to PM about things about me, don't bring it into threads that have nothing to do with it.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neither should we. I don't give a stuff how many records they sell. That's their responsibility. I support the act I like the best.

Mateja wrote: »
    The winner gets a recording contract and is expected to sell. As long as the prize includes a recording contract, it's totally fair to question the marketability of XF Finalists.
    Why ????
    AaronWx wrote: »
    We should simply be voting on who we like best.
    Exactly
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    its who you like best and the judges should stop moaning about the public getting it wrong
    I agree. It's impossible for the public to get it wrong. The most popular act always wins.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Mateja wrote: »
    The winner gets a recording contract and is expected to sell. As long as the prize includes a recording contract, it's totally fair to question the marketability of XF Finalists.

Fine, but can we then question why every single year why the judges/producers put through acts that are, for one reason or another, not compatible with the current tweenie charts?

And I really want to know the answer to that one as they do put through such acts and then go on about tweenie records sales. Why put them through only to put them down?
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answer me this then if were not suppose to vote on who we think will sell then what is the point in the prize being a RECORDING CONTRACT:confused::confused:

However saying that the public never have & never will vote on who they think will sell. At the end of the day the Prize Is A Recording Contract & aslong as that is the prize it should be voted on who is the most likely to sell records.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve2013 wrote: »
    Answer me this then if were not suppose to vote on who we think will sell then what is the point in the prize being a RECORDING CONTRACT:confused::confused:

However saying that the public never have & never will vote on who they think will sell. At the end of the day the Prize Is A Recording Contract & aslong as that is the prize it should be voted on who is the most likely to sell records.

Not necessarily. The public are spending their own money on voting and don't really need to justify themselves to anyone for voting for a particular contestant....some would say it is very healthy that they go against the producers' and Syco's wishes (why should it be their duty to line Cowell's pockets?).
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is a popularity contest. Why would you want to vote for someone that you don't like?
  • sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter who wins - Cowell will have already decided who the bulk of his publicity macine will be pimping. It's one reason (quite rightly) that Matt Cardle was so pissed at him. All Cowell is interested in is the short-term buck from gullible teens and tweenies. There's no long term megastar career at the end of the rainbow for this show's contestants. Yes it may make them a few quid and set them up for life but that's it.