How long does it take to receive a speeding ticket?

2»

Comments

• CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's becoming less the case as the number of digital cameras increases. Digital Camera = no film, no flash.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpria7 wrote: »
    im sure i heard somewhere that a lot of speed cameras dont have any film in and just flash you with no consequences if you are speeding.

I do hope so. I got flashed about 5 weeks ago doing (I think) 40 in a 30 mile limit on a Sunday at 6am in the rain. Still waiting with worry every time the mail comes.

Not sure if it is still correct that the NIP has to be issued within 14 working days of the offence, or within six months?:confused:
  • :manson::manson: Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    I do hope so. I got flashed about 5 weeks ago doing (I think) 40 in a 30 mile limit on a Sunday at 6am in the rain. Still waiting with worry every time the mail comes.

Not sure if it is still correct that the NIP has to be issued within 14 working days of the offence, or within six months?:confused:

It's 14 days, you're fine now. :)
  • peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you've recently changed addresses, or it's a company vehicle and they have had to contact your employer or a lease company to get your details.
    If the police can prove they have a valid reason why it's taken them longer to track you down than normal, the NIP is still valid.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    As a point of interest, the legislation sets the period at 14 days, as it is considered that an individual is much more likely to remember who was driving the offending vehicle at the time in question.

After 14 days, it may be a reasonable defence to say you are unable to recall who was driving the vehicle, since it was say three weeks or a month ago.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your posts, I shall sleep easier now!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok....WHY was there a temporary speed limit? was anyone in danger when you done 60mph instead of 50mph? (ie....was there people working at the time of the speed increase?) - remember the motorway has a maximum limit of 70mph....

I ask this because if no-one was actually working on the motorway and there were no specific conditions then you were NOT at fault and the fine should NOT be imposed.

If all the above are irrelevant then i would definately challenge this!

Threads like this really anger me because you were 10mph below the maximum speed limit and if there was absolutely no danger to anyone else then i fail to understand as to WHY you have been given a speeding fine!????

If there was no danger to anyone else then DONT pay...as simple as that!

Cameras are there to make revenue...regardless of the actual conditions!

It;'s a bit like doing 20 mph in a 30 mph zone and getting flashed for it!

If there were no men working on the motorway and no logical reason why you were delibrately speeding 10mph less than the legal speed limit.......10mph BELOW the legal limit on a motorway.
    ........................................................................................................
    I beg your pardon? regardless of whether they are roadworks or not, if a temp speed limit has been imposed, it is still illegal to exceed that limit. THAT IS THE LAW. it makes no difference what the "normal" speed should be.

To use your example of 20 in a 30, if there are signs everywhere telling you its a 20mph zone, You MUST do 20 mph.

Sorry to drag up this old thread, was doing a search for something similar. Just thought i'd clear up any confusion
  • :manson::manson: Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHaV sTicK wrote: »
    Oh and before anyone asks I was doing 60 on the motorway when I didn't realise there was a temporary 50 limit. :o

I doubt very much you'd get fined for that but if you are going to get a letter through your door about it then it will be within the next 2 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    sorry to drag up this old thread, but i was looking for something similar. last friday, i was doing 42mph on a 40mph dual carriageway (i was doing 40mph for the majority of the journey, but as i was going uphill i accelerated a little too much without realising). it just so happened that the white lines were on that bit of hill.

i was wondering how many times the cameras usually flash and how noticeable are they?. i think i noticed one flash (i say, 'i think' because the sun was setting at the time and i don't know whether it was a camera flash or simply the sun reflecting off my rear view mirror).

i've only had my license for a year, so obviously i'm quite concerned as i can only get 6 pentalty points before it's revoked.

also, does the 14 day notice period still stand? i'm the registered owner and keeper of the vehice and my home address is current, so if the ticket were to arrive outside of this time frame, does that mean i'm home free?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Janz* wrote: »
    sorry to drag up this old thread, but i was looking for something similar. last friday, i was doing 42mph on a 40mph dual carriageway (i was doing 40mph for the majority of the journey, but as i was going uphill i accelerated a little too much without realising). it just so happened that the white lines were on that bit of hill.

i was wondering how many times the cameras usually flash and how noticeable are they?. i think i noticed one flash (i say, 'i think' because the sun was setting at the time and i don't know whether it was a camera flash or simply the sun reflecting off my rear view mirror).

i've only had my license for a year, so obviously i'm quite concerned as i can only get 6 pentalty points before it's revoked.

also, does the 14 day notice period still stand? i'm the registered owner and keeper of the vehice and my home address is current, so if the ticket were to arrive outside of this time frame, does that mean i'm home free?

The 14 (working?) day period still stands - if received after this time it isn't valid.

I believe GATSO cameras flash twice.. you might just have caught the sun and been lucky.

They DO have an error margin giving the benefit of the doubt by a few mph.. so you might have got away with 42 in a 40. Plus in most cars, the speedo is optimistic, eg. if it says your doing 40, you'll actually be doing 38.