Arne Dahl BBC4 6th April NO SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminded me a bit of how they set up the team at the beginning of a US series called "Wanted", so I was rather expecting one of the team to die in the first episode as happened in that series. Well, and as seems to be the thing in a lot of new series nowadays.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That'll make him cross!!

Viggo and Hjelm have both appeared in episodes of Krister Wallander whereas Nyberg is a former professional strongman and won the Swedish version of SCD in 2009
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot this was on!

Will watch on IPlayer.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one word...Excellent...cannot wait to see next weeks for the climax of the 1st 2 parter..
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting and will definitely watch next weeks episode. Like others I thought it really picked up in the final 10 mins.

It really is a really diverse and mixed group, all having their talents and weaknesses. I thought Chavez was a bit of an arse especially towards Hjelm and there was that moment when he looked a real hypocrite. But I can see that relationship changing. It's clear they will need each other and will have to work together to crack the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    That'll make him cross!!

Viggo and Hjelm have both appeared in episodes of Krister Wallander whereas Nyberg is a former professional strongman and won the Swedish version of SCD in 2009

That makes the "do I know you from somewhere" scene funnier now :D
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I think that "Thickest Cop of the Week" award goes to Viggo.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm liking the nerdy Finnish detective
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! Arne Dahl retweeted me :D
  • pilsner2bpilsner2b Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Magnus Samuelsson who play Gunnar Nyberg
    won the "strongest man" in 1999 , http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/athlete/magnus-samuelsson/

hi also won the swedish " Let´s Dance" in 2009....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5ZU0OAr7I

This is his first acting role , hi has done some commersels......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Did anyone understand the 'Cleaner' bit where the guy wiped the evidence board away - and then wiped it back! :eek::confused:
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Did anyone understand the 'Cleaner' bit where the guy wiped the evidence board away - and then wiped it back! :eek::confused:

Nope and I'm none the wiser after someone asked him about it on twitter
    Arne Dahl ‏@arne_dahl

@Swissss Well, the cleaner is a compilation of what isn't really accessible to logic, kind of...
  • rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD Rec This really liked the BBC4 Euro Crime stuff going to try and watch it Sun
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe Chavez was just dreaming??
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think this anything special, to misquote a line from a classic film,

"Round up the usual clichés."

Opening scene, where the cop thinks he's "Dirty Harry" at the hostage location.

The wife who is being neglected "because of the job."

The detective who follows a known criminal on his own and surprise surprise gets caught.

Feel free to add your own examples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post, sorry!
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Maverick cops, East European criminals. It was bearable, but lacked originality and charm.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    I didn't think this anything special, to misquote a line from a classic film,

"Round up the usual clichés."

Opening scene, where the cop thinks he's "Dirty Harry" at the hostage location.

The wife who is being neglected "because of the job."

The detective who follows a known criminal on his own and surprise surprise gets caught.

Feel free to add your own examples.

I think there's more to it than that. His wife seemed to suspect it was almost a death wish that made him be so reckless and it was apparently out of character for him.

Maybe we'll get more of a back story that will make it not quite so cliched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Magpie11 wrote: »

In other words - a bit 'Life on Mars-ish' :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's more to it than that. His wife seemed to suspect it was almost a death wish that made him be so reckless and it was apparently out of character for him.

Maybe we'll get more of a back story that will make it not quite so cliched.

This may be true, but it was still a "Dirty Harry" moment, in real life he wouldn't have been allowed to go in. A trained "hostage negotiator" would be required, it's probably a requirement world-wide now.
    Did he deliberately aim to injure, rather than kill, so that he would be hospitalised then charged and imprisoned so that his family would not be immediately deported?
    Then throw-up because of shooting the guy?
    If so, seems a bit far fetched.

I too think the business with the board was a dream as the guy had been working long hours and he'd momentarily gone to sleep.

"It had better improve in the next episode."
    Forum Member

look up for the cleaning man........
    Forum Member

Listen yo the cleaning man,,,,,,,visdom
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think this is proof (if proof were needed) that some Scandanavian drama can be as bad, if not worse, than anything we produce. It was watchable, but nothing special, and certainly not in the same league as the other imports we've enjoyed recently.
    Forum Member
    Well, I think this is proof (if proof were needed) that some Scandanavian drama can be as bad, if not worse, than anything we produce. It was watchable, but nothing special, and certainly not in the same league as the other imports we've enjoyed recently.

shame on you.......
    Watch up for the cleaning man.....
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone I know also asked him whether the cleaner adds magical realism and he said 'Kind of'. Twitter has reacted well to this - Arne Dahl seems very pleased and has been busy replying to so many Tweets tonight!

I quite enjoyed the episode - I think the characters are being set up nicely and think I'll like the interplay between them. I already like Paul Hjelm.