Changing to windows 64bit

len112len112 Posts: 4,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been using 32 bit windows 7 and backing up regularly . I'm thinking of changing over to 64bit as my computer seems to support it . Will my back ups of files made with 32 bit windows work ?

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have made a backup image<s> then no, if it's only data then yes.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    If you have made a backup image<s> then no, if it's only data then yes.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Sorry a little too technical for me I backed up my documents and it also made a shadow image which I don't intend to use as I thought it might transfer any errors from the previous installation . What I want to know is can I restore my documents photos and music made in 32 bit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does not matter what bitrate the OS is as documents are files and bitrates only matter for programs (executables).
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The documents don't really care if Windows is 32 or 64bit. The important factors are whether the program that created them can run properly under Windows 64 bit or if you upgrade the programs to 64bit versions as well that they are backwards compatible with the 32bit versions.

Things like JPEG image files have a defined format, as do music files, be they WAV or mp3 or whatever. The format of such files is independent of the operating system by and large so it won't matter about those.

You may only run into problems if you use some fairly obscure software that simply refuses to run under 64 bit Windows and there is no upgrade available nor any other program that can read the data format. But if you are talking about things like Microsoft Office documents or similar then there should be no issues.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a total helpful reply, but I intend to transfer the files (that I've acquired and placed on there myself to the 64bit machine I'll be building in about a month's time ..... from DVD discs. I can't imagine people losing all their data just because they've decided to switch to 64bit. Unless I've mistaken what you've asked for something else? I think Annie's got a 64bit machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think Annie's got a 64bit machine.

Yep I have a 64bit W7 PC :Dhttp://abcde.co.uk/brion/pc-spec/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I have a 64bit W7 PC :Dhttp://abcde.co.uk/brion/pc-spec/

The Internet must be like a complete walk in the park for your machine. It's a flaming beast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The Internet must be like a complete walk in the park for your machine. It's a flaming beast.

It can handle anything thrown at it :D, COD MW2 is a bit sluggish in places but I put that down to poor programming :(
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a beast, may i ask how many shillings it set you back ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Its a beast, may i ask how many shillings it set you back ?

It cost me £0 :) but the price all together is over £3500 :)
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It cost me £0 :) but the price all together is over £3500 :)

Who do I have to sleep with to get that deal , I'll do it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

She did mention how she got it for nothing, but it's not my place to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww, my mum paid for my last 2 PCs as she has no-one else to spend her money on :D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using 32 bit windows 7 and backing up regularly . I'm thinking of changing over to 64bit as my computer seems to support it . Will my back ups of files made with 32 bit windows work ?

Unless you have more than 4Gb of memory I don't think it is worth changing from X32 to X64.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have 32-bit and its working for you, unless you want to go over 4GB of RAM I wouldn't bother upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.

Native 64-bit apps are coming (including MS Office finally) but most are still 32-bit. I imagine in the next 12 to 24 months this will change as 64-bit becomes more main stream. Also check that all your device drivers are 64-bit compatible.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww, my mum paid for my last 2 PCs as she has no-one else to spend her money on :D:D:D:D:D

I really wanted to answer that question with 'Annie's mum', but fortunately restraint got the better of me.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another factor is that you cannot upgrade from 32- to 64-bit directly, you have to do a clean install.

However, as stated above, your data will work fine if you reinstall your applications.