Options

Will EE 86 Xmas day record ever be matched

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Dallas or CS's Hilda episode hold the record (for single showing) then as it didn't have an omnibus?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Who remembers the Xmas day 2007 xmas episode with the video on Xmas day , with max Stacy :o
    14 million viewers tuned in. EastEnders was the last soap to do it and then they go one better in 2010 for 16m Live episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Does Dallas or CS's Hilda episode hold the record (for single showing) then as it didn't have an omnibus?
    Corrie has the highest single rating (1987 or 1989?) But EastEnders goes down in History as being the highest rated scripted drama. Nothing will change that :)
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    14 million viewers tuned in. EastEnders was the last soap to do it and then they go one better in 2010 for 16m Live episode.

According to wiki the last time they got 16 million viewers before 2010 was in 2003 when Den came back.
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The deaths of senior royals will be the only events to gain those ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie has the highest single rating (1987 or 1989?) But EastEnders goes down in History as being the highest rated scripted drama. Nothing will change that :)

Corrie had 27 million on Xmas day 1987 if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So it should.

Thanks dan for your encyclopedic mind. What about Who Shot JR though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    attitude99 wrote: »
    According to wiki the last time they got 16 million viewers before 2010 was in 2003 when Den came back.
    Yeah I am sure it was. My point was that EastEnders was the last soap to get such a high rating in 2003/2004 but then managed it again in 2007 and then again in 2010 with an extra 2 million viewers or so. The LIVE episode had something like 22m reach (With Omnibus/BBC3/I Player taken into account)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it should.

Thanks dan for your encyclopedic mind. What about Who Shot JR though?
    No problem. Sadly Barb doesn't go back that far and I can't find any information on UK Viewing figures.

EDIT- 21.6m
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For a single showing, Coronation Street's record is 21.4 million for 2nd January 1985.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a single showing, Coronation Street's record is 21.4 million for 2nd January 1985.

David, according to wiki Who Shot JR ranks the same as CS' 21.6 million and the Hilda Ogden one is circa 26 million. :o

Some aggregated ratings apparently except Dallas and 1992's CS but CS' 1987's is an aggregate??? :confused::o
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Corrie had 27 million on Xmas day 1987 if I remember rightly.

There was much more buzz about Corrie than EE Christmas Day 87. Corrie was really picking itself up from the onslaught which was EE by that time and actually became fairly strong for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I am sure it was. My point was that EastEnders was the last soap to get such a high rating in 2003/2004 but then managed it again in 2007 and then again in 2010 with an extra 2 million viewers or so. The LIVE episode had something like 22m reach (With Omnibus/BBC3/I Player taken into account)

I think it reached the 16m mark in the last 5 or so minutes of the episode, I read on wiki too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Dallas holds the single showing record surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it reached the 16m mark in the last 5 or so minutes of the episode, I read on wiki too.
    Wiki is not always the best place to get facts but I think that is kinda obvious really. People just wanted to find out who killed Archie. The Aftermath on BBC3 still holds the record for the most watched show on Digital Television ever though. 4.5million (Repeat saw another 1.4m)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In reply to the OP's point, the only soap episodes that have recently, really come anywhere close to massive viewing figures, were with Archie's Murder in 2009 (as well as in the last 5 minutes of the episode where it was revealed who'd killed Archie, peaking at 16 million) and also a similar level of figures with Bradley's death in the 2010 Live Episode with around 16-16.9 million viewers (which isn't really close to 30 million at all). Those were both before BK came in, and EE started to struggle again.

The figures were again up there again, around the 16 million mark in 2005, when Chrissie, Sam & Zoe killed Dirty Den (his second death) - with Chrissie delivering the final blow (the figures would've peaked out, at the point the fatal blow was struck - from memory at the time, anyway).

Will be interested to see what the final viewing figures will be like for the Lucy Beale death Reveal, during the EE 30th February live episode / live elements during the Live Week. Something to watch out for, maybe :-)
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David, according to wiki Who Shot JR ranks the same as CS' 21.6 million and the Hilda Ogden one is circa 26 million. :o

Some aggregated ratings apparently except Dallas and 1992's CS but CS' 1987's is an aggregate??? :confused::o

All of the BARB Corrie figures from 1989-2001, plus Xmas '87 and and the Rovers fire in '86 are aggregate figures. I can't vouch for the Dallas figure as I don't know it.

EDIT: It looks like Dallas did score ahead of Corrie http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/oldott/www.offthetelly.co.uk/index2577.html?p=6624
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to the OP's point, the only soap episodes that have recently, really come anywhere close to massive viewing figures, were Archie's Murder in 2009 and Bradley's death in the 2010 Live Episode with around 16-16.9 million viewers (which isn't really close to 30 million at all). Those were both before BK came in and EE started to struggle again.

Will be interested to see what the final viewing figures will be like for the Lucy Beale death Reveal, during the EE 30th February live episode / live elements during the Live Week. Something to watch out for, maybe :-)

11 million. Peak 13 at a push
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of the BARB Corrie figures from 1989-2001, plus Xmas '87 and and the Rovers fire in '86 are aggregate figures. I can't vouch for the Dallas figure as I don't know it.
    21.6 (Single showing)

Only Fools and Horses is the most watched scripted programme (Excluding repeats) to date for Their last ever episode back in 1996 (Obviously it came back again) with a total of 24m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's so hard to say because we don't know how Christmas is going to do. it might manage to hook the viewers in because people will know what will be coming. If the BBC start promoting the 30th Birthday on New years Day and run Idents like they did back in 2010 then we could see it top 13m with a higher peak. It has LIVE elements through out the week so that could gather interest if something shocking/unexpected happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would imagine so, probably somewhere along those lines :-)

Would be nice if they do manage to top & get past the 13m mark, given there's a Live Episode (the same as in 2010), and also other Live elements as well as that, throughout the entire week :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Probably not. no
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EDIT: It looks like Dallas did score ahead of Corrie http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/oldott/www.offthetelly.co.uk/index2577.html?p=6624

Thanks David. Good ole JR. Ewing hey? 😃
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    There is absolutely no possibility at all of anything ever matching those figures. There are too many choices now, too many ways of watching.. plus unless you were there in 86, you could never understand how much of a national obsession EE was then. Nothing now gets within a million miles of holding the nation's attention the way EE did at its peak.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If no soap can gather more than 8 million on Crimbo Day this year then it's nigh on impossible that EE will even get into double figures for the reveal, we are in December and the soaps are rating horribly.