Anybody own a TV that does not buzz and hiss?

Just thought I would ask this as I notice on the web this issue only started appearing in the mid-2000s as LCD and PDP started to get cheaper and the speaker quality declined too.

My Philips 28" LCD is about eight years old (ancient I know) and it hisses loudly at any volume level. How I miss the silent CRTs. And the picture quaility was better.

Has anyone bought a hi-spec television in the last while (is there are any left on the market) that does not buzz and hiss liked a deflating bike tyre ?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Toshiba Regza doesn't and it's getting on a bit now.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,452
    Forum Member
    My Philips 28" LCD is about eight years old (ancient I know) and it hisses loudly at any volume level. How I miss the silent CRTs. And the picture quaility was better.

Try buying a decent make then :D

LCD's are generally far quieter than CRT sets (CRT sets are VERY prone to whistling and buzzing), PDP not so much as they are prone to buzzing problems.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are flat wrong sorry.

We had maybe 5 generations of CRTs in my house growing up and all were silent.
    Any friends I visit now, their LCDs or OLEDs hiss just like mine, even when the volume is mute.

You were right on one point, plasma screens have always been better built and less noisy.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our 1.5 year old LG doesn't make any noise.
    Forum Member

Any friends I visit now, their LCDs or OLEDs hiss just like mine, even when the volume is mute.

You've seen five, and a few friends sets - I've seen many thousands, and repaired huge numbers of CRT's for been noisy.

Have you considered getting your ears checked? :D
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had four flat screen tellies, three Sony and one Panasonic over the past 10 years and not one of them has buzzed and/or hissed. You've either got a faulty set or an issue with your setup/hearing.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the OP has a sensitivity to certain frequencies that most can't hear?
    Certainly I've got 3 LCD TVs of varying ages, and 3 LCD monitors, and none of them hiss, to my ears.

Not saying they've got perfect sound, obviously that depends on the size of the speakers etc, but they don't hiss.
    Incidentally the best sound is from an 11 ½ year old 17" Philips LCD (not even HD Ready), that has proper speakers to the sides of the screen, and dolby virtual surround sound.
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 Led hd tvs A Sony Breve 32 and a 22"Samsung nether of them make any Sound when off or on The 2 Sky hd Boxes, do when in Standby
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRT's quiet?! well nearly every CRT I've come across makes more noise than any LCD I've seen, heard or owned. And if the customer had their brightness and contrast at max (as often the case) they were even noiser. And I'm not talking about the actual TV audio from the speaker
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old LGPK350 TV used to make a tiny buzz if it were displaying lots white on the screen I hear this pretty normal for plasma?
    Though my samsung ue48h6240 is very silent not get hot at all or has no fans in.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You were right on one point, plasma screens have always been better built and less noisy.

I've never heard a hissing noise from an LCD TV.

Do your friends have different makes of TV's or the same make?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinitus?
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Can't say I've noticed any hissing or anything on LCD TVs. Though I only have to put up with their awful speakers in the kitchen, in three other rooms I have separate audio systems with speakers for sound.

Maybe the OP should invest in a soundbar or something. :D
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »
    Can't say I've noticed any hissing or anything on LCD TVs. Though I only have to put up with their awful speakers in the kitchen, in three other rooms I have separate audio systems with speakers for sound.

Maybe the OP should invest in a soundbar or something. :D

Exactly what we did for Panasonic 40" we got for the grandkids games room, connected it up and it buzzed and hissed. :o

Done the usual tests and came to the conclusion it was faulty, it's being exchanged today. :D

Can't say I've heard any buzzing/hissing from any of the tv's I've owned, CRT, plasma or LCD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No hiss from my CRT
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LG flat screen tv in my hotel room whistles when it is on standby.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 LCDs in my house 2 Panasonics and a Sony and there is no hiss or buzz or hum from them nor from any LCD I have owned in the past.

Now CRTs are a different story I cannot remember one that did not buzz or hum and I can go back to the 1960s, it was just damn annoying. Some even emitted a high pitched continuous whistling noise. The old valve sets were really bad for that. In fact I found when I bought my first LCD that was something I noticed -- the lack of extraneous unwanted noises.
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I have 3 LCDs in my house 2 Panasonics and a Sony and there is no hiss or buzz or hum from them nor from any LCD I have owned in the past.

Now CRTs are a different story I cannot remember one that did not buzz or hum and I can go back to the 1960s, it was just damn annoying. Some even emitted a high pitched continuous whistling noise. The old valve sets were really bad for that. In fact I found when I bought my first LCD that was something I noticed -- the lack of extraneous unwanted noises.

Exactly - which is why the OP's opinion is so strange.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Sky in SD via a cheap SCART cable?