Leaving BT Help

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, as their price has increased, I've decided to go to Sky. It says I need to give 14 days notice... So can I go ahead now and order Sky and then call BT tomorrow and let them know I'm changing to avoid the charges? Not sure how it works. Thanks

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Hi, as their price has increased, I've decided to go to Sky. It says I need to give 14 days notice... So can I go ahead now and order Sky and then call BT tomorrow and let them know I'm changing to avoid the charges? Not sure how it works. Thanks

You don't need to phone BT, Sky will handle the switch over for you..though it would be worth phoning to see if you can get any deal before switching.
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    You don't need to phone BT, Sky will handle the switch over for you..though it would be worth phoning to see if you can get any deal before switching.

if your in contract you need to contact BT
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm in a contract, bt said I could leave early in the price increase email.
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, ring them up tomorrow and tell them, im going to do the same i would hold off ordering from sky first bt migh give you a deal to stay im hoping for a deal:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, ring them up tomorrow and tell them, im going to do the same i would hold off ordering from sky first bt migh give you a deal to stay im hoping for a deal:D

I rang BT. They were happy enough to let me go. They said they'd note on my account that I'd be taking the early get out clause.

I'm losing my line rental saver that I paid in April, but if I join Sky, I get £110 cashback via topcashback which will cover it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I phone them and they begged me to stay told me I wouldn't be able to watch bt sport and I sound like someone who likes sport lol

So I jumped to talktalk
  • Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't bothered about me leaving either and i'm off to sky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered Sky at lunchtime today. This evening, I get BT emailing me to confirm Sky have contacted them. It also confirms no termination fees for BB or phone which is good.

Fingers crossed it all continues to go well... Sky have been good to be in the past, especially this month, they gave me a 2TB box for £49.
  • Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I ordered Sky at lunchtime today. This evening, I get BT emailing me to confirm Sky have contacted them. It also confirms no termination fees for BB or phone which is good.

Fingers crossed it all continues to go well... Sky have been good to be in the past, especially this month, they gave me a 2TB box for £49.

I got the same email. I wonder how many customers BT will lose over this
  • dpwykesdpwykes Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Randomguy1 wrote: »

Quite a few I'd imagine..

I only joined a few months back mainly for the £125 pre paid Visa Card and £100 Quidco cash back which have now both paid out.

As the E-mail states that I can leave without early termination charges, I'll take then up in that and jump ship to Sky, which will save me £16.59 a month (although Sky do charge a £30 connection charge, I'll still be quids in though)

Darren
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randomguy1 wrote: »

Don't know, I must be on some deal that I am unaware about, because the best I could save is £1.50 per month with plusnet, the only exception to that rule is SSE which I have no idea if they are good or not.

All the other companies work out more expensive.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was considering quitting BT and joining with Virgin, but it turns out there upload speeds are very poor. 3mbs on their up to 50mbps service and 6mbps on their up to 100mbps service. With BT I was maxing out at 17mbps and averaging at least 14mbps at all times. Not impressed to be honest. Considering how fast their download speeds are compared to BT. That's almost a deal breaker for me, as I use a lot of cloud based services, youtube uploading, often large media files. Gonna get nowhere with the slower speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    dpwykes wrote: »
    Quite a few I'd imagine..

I only joined a few months back mainly for the £125 pre paid Visa Card and £100 Quidco cash back which have now both paid out.

As the E-mail states that I can leave without early termination charges, I'll take then up in that and jump ship to Sky, which will save me £16.59 a month (although Sky do charge a £30 connection charge, I'll still be quids in though)

Darren

I had my £140 quidco cashback refused by BT when I joined them :( just signed up for SSE using the get out clause of price increase, and went through Quidco...again, may get £130
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Was considering quitting BT and joining with Virgin, but it turns out there upload speeds are very poor. 3mbs on their up to 50mbps service and 6mbps on their up to 100mbps service. With BT I was maxing out at 17mbps and averaging at least 14mbps at all times. Not impressed to be honest. Considering how fast their download speeds are compared to BT. That's almost a deal breaker for me, as I use a lot of cloud based services, youtube uploading, often large media files. Gonna get nowhere with the slower speeds.

Can you still use Bt's hub if you've already paid for it if you switch from them
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    This is to do with OfComs new rules to allow people to jump ship from Broadband providers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    The BT Hub can only be used with BT and Plusnet I believe, so you should be able to use it.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently on - reluctantly - annual leave, so the last thing I need is my BB continually dropping. Contacted BT on sunday, sorted it out. Two days ago, it happened again. I got a different operator who I could barely understand, and did not seem to know what the problem was, avoiding the issue. Then she told me, if I use a wired connection, I won't have this problem. I am physically unable to reach the router with an ethernet cable. Also, the point of a laptop, is portability. I have always used wifi, and want to continue to do so. BT is probably the most expensive provider on the market, a premium which ought to enable me to connect however I wish. My hub is the archaic 2.0! They will only provide me with the 5.0 if I renew my contract which, considering the unreliability of my internet access, I am loathe to do. Fortunately, I am tech savvy, so know how to fix most issues. I really think BT has become rather complacent, re other BB providers and will, as has been suggested, haemmorhage customers. I am considering trying a wifi extender, anything is better than having to reconnect 30 times a day.
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    This is to do with OfComs new rules to allow people to jump ship from Broadband providers

Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing if moving from B.T, I left B.T for Sky,
    Sky did all the changeover work, so no MAc to deal with, and I cancelled BT Sport with BT over the phone, they said it was not too late to stay with BT and could do BB for £4.50 'no one can do it cheaper' she could not get her head around 'free from Sky' juat kept saying no one does it cheaper ! anyway it was all cancelled, inc BR SPORT, but got a bill yesterday for 19.99 BT Sport sub, rang to complain, seems they have no record of any call or cancellation, will be complaing further up the chain on Monday !