When is an SMS not an SMS on o2?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    booie wrote: »
    Its definatly your phone that has converted the sms text message into a mms text message. Seems to be the newer smartphones that do it. Never did it with the old nokias, Everyone dig out ya old 3310's :D
    It would be nice if the mms message came off your data allowance after all its making a data connection to send. No different to uploading stuff to facebook ect..

Gosh this will be the third time tonight I've spoken up for O2. Wavejock (if he's here) will think I've turned.

This as others have said is nothing to do with O2, but your phone's software sending the message as an MMS. In reply to the above....yes and no...

It's not the same as ordinary data as SMS and MMS require servers at the network end to process these messages as special cellular messages, to store them on the server until delivery and to communicate with other networks for the transit of these messages over SMS and MMS, they have termination rates applied to them that they charge each other for these kind of messages, so it is distinctively different to other data services, however the principle of the fact it's data is correct.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Gosh this will be the third time tonight I've spoken up for O2. Wavejock (if he's here) will think I've turned.

This as others have said is nothing to do with O2, but your phone's software sending the message as an MMS. In reply to the above....yes and no...

It's not the same as ordinary data as SMS and MMS require servers at the network end to process these messages as special cellular messages, to store them on the server until deliverer and to communicate with other networks for the transit of these messages over SMS and MMS, they have termination rates applied to them that they charge each other for these kind of messages, so it is distinctively different to other data services, however the principle of the fact it's data is correct.

Agreed.

(especially the part about sticking up for O2!)
  • Options
    Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to all for your responses, and, as they say - "every day's a learning day" - which is no bad thing...

Still a bit of a shock thoough, when the bill lands on your mat !!
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all for your responses, and, as they say - "every day's a learning day" - which is no bad thing...

Still a bit of a shock thoough, when the bill lands on your mat !!

perhaps the best general advice is to learn how your handset works.
  • Options
    Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    perhaps the best general advice is to learn how your handset works.

(removes perceived shovel from between shoulder blades)

Ya reckon !?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Latest Android version:

Open Messaging
    Go into settings
    Untick 'Group Messaging - Use MMS to send a single message when there are multiple recipients'

That should get rid of the 'converting to MMS' issue if you have 2 or more recipients :)

Glad i spotted it early as I run a Junior football team and send out regular group texts to 20+ individuals !!
  • Options
    omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Latest Android version:

Open Messaging
    Go into settings
    Untick 'Group Messaging - Use MMS to send a single message when there are multiple recipients'

That should get rid of the 'converting to MMS' issue if you have 2 or more recipients :)

Glad i spotted it early as I run a Junior football team and send out regular group texts to 20+ individuals !!

Which version of Android do you have as I have 4.1.1 on my Galaxy S3 and I cannot find that option :confused:
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    omipalone wrote: »
    Which version of Android do you have as I have 4.1.1 on my Galaxy S3 and I cannot find that option :confused:

4.2.1 - vanilla Android on a Galaxy Nexus ... it may be something that Samsung have hidden on their b@astardised Android :(
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had this happen to me before, so I just turned off MMS, as I never use them (they cost money, SMS & emails don't) and no one ever sends them to me, so turning them off was the easiest solution.

Also, in the past when using MMS, I have found issues with some phones can handle different types of content some cant, sometimes dispite the phones being set up for receiving an MMS I have received a SMS from my network directing me to a web site to view the message.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I had a situation where I couldn't reply to a message I had received.
    I have PAYG on Three and when I apply a topup I then convert it before any cash credit is used to a bundle (300mins 3000SMS unlimited data).
    After repeatedly trying to reply and rechecking my balance I came to the conclusion that as the TEXT message I received had been sent as a MMS my phone was trying to reply with a MMS. I had no cash credit to pay for an MMS so the network refused my sending an MMS - even though the content was pure text and there was no immediately-apparent indication that it was a MMS I was typing.