Options

HUMAX 9300T via HDMI

late8late8 Posts: 7,175
Forum Member
I have some issues with a relatives 9300T connected via HDMI...

We cant seem to be able to control the volume via the Humax remote apart from mute. Have we missed something?

Also the resolution is output to 720p .. is that recommended?

Finally, 4:3 programs appear stretched. The TV is set to auto scan to 16:9 or 4:3. Pictures from the internal tuner on the TV automatically go from 16:9 to 4:3 if the program isn’t widescreen. The Humax on HDMI doesn’t??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't control the volume via HDMI, only Scart - use the TV's volume instead.

I have my output at 576, and let my TV's superior scaler do the job, although I use RGB Scart as it gives a better picture with my TV. Depends on how good the TV/scaler is. Try both, and trust your eyes.

What have you got the AV preferences set at? I've got Screen ratio set as 16:9 and Display Format as Auto, and it correctly switches when 4:3 is shown with black bars either side; but again I'm via Scart, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the 9300 over HDMI.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »
    You can't control the volume via HDMI, only Scart - use the TV's volume instead.

I have my output at 576, and let my TV's superior scaler do the job, although I use RGB Scart as it gives a better picture with my TV. Depends on how good the TV/scaler is. Try both, and trust your eyes.

What have you got the AV preferences set at? I've got Screen ratio set as 16:9 and Display Format as Auto, and it correctly switches when 4:3 is shown with black bars either side; but again I'm via Scart, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the 9300 over HDMI.

Rgds.

Les.

Thanks. I think all the issues are because its via HDMI. Might switch them back over to scart next time i'm around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can run the 9300T at whatever resolution you like, I run 720p on mine, the only thing that really will look any different is the graphical user interface/menus, the programmes will largely look the same in either resolution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I find that the picture quality is superior with 720p so I leave it on that.

I am tempted to switch back to scart though....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently did just that (switched from HDMI to SCART) because I was fed up watching American Football on Five in Fattyvision.

I suppose there's no reason why the box (9300) can't be connected to the tv by both? Then you could use SCART for 4:3 and HDMI for all other situations by switching inputs on the tv?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Next time i'm over I will switch back to SCART. They don't like the fatty vision on non 4:3 material and the lack of volume change via remote. - you would think these things will be as standard.
  • Options
    Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just recently connected a 9300t to my Toshiba 42" LCD via an HDMI cable and the pictures are absolutely stunning. Better than Sky HD, in my opinion, and much better than the scart connection. I'm using a cheap £20 lead that I bought in Currys (a Logic one). No problems so far. Do the more expensive leads make any difference ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just recently connected a 9300t to my Toshiba 42" LCD via an HDMI cable and the pictures are absolutely stunning. Better than Sky HD, in my opinion, and much better than the scart connection. I'm using a cheap £20 lead that I bought in Currys (a Logic one). No problems so far. Do the more expensive leads make any difference ?
    Absolutely not, don't get conned by snake oil. (Even £20 is an expensive one)

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Freeview needs you...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1139094

.... :)
    pictures are absolutely stunning
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote: »

On my TV set they are better with the HDMI lead.

I've also noticed the 8K picture quality from Cambret Hill, post DSO, is better than 2K from Divis, and that's comparing like for like through the scart connection. I can't wait until Divis switches over. it's a shame it's over 3 years away.

Thanks for the advice re. the more expensive cables Lee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice re. the more expensive cables Lee.
    It's Les, BTW, but I won't hold that against you :D

Have a look at these for a laugh :-

Russ Andrews HDMI Cable

Russ Andrews Power Cord , yes that's right £3,350.00, perfect for that nice cup of tea !!!

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Russ Andrews HDMI Cable

Russ Andrews Power Cord , yes that's right £3,350.00, perfect for that nice cup of tea !!!

Rgds.

Les.

Sorry Les. Must get my eyes retested.

I've always wondered about the Russ Andrews claims re. their power leads. Is mains electricity that bad ?

I do notice differences with interconnects though, with the dearer ones generally sounding much better, up to £100 or so (I have a Linn Genki and Naim Nait Three amp) but beyond that I'm not really sure the extra expense is worth it. Three grand plus is only for people who have won the Euro Lottery I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Russ Andrews HDMI Cable

Rgds.

Les.
    If anyone bought one from there in August I bet they are gutted. In August they were £6150.