Old Telly Question

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does the picture jump when flashing on old tellys like this one

This one by the way is mine and gets used for game consoles for which i only have an RF cable for (as they look awful on flat tellys)

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    DXRulz wrote: »
    Why does the picture jump when flashing on old tellys like this one

This one by the way is mine and gets used for game consoles for which i only have an RF cable for (as they look awful on flat tellys)

It's because of the vertical hold I think. the vertical hold on these TVs were still mechanically adjusted, whereas I think on more recent TVs, they are electronically adjusted and are pre-set at the factory.

Also, is it set to the VCR preset? i don't know about the electronic tuner version of this model, but many or all TVs with mechanical tuners used to have a preset channel, because otherwise a video tape would have fringing at the top of the picture.

It was to do with the fact that the sync pulses coming out of the VCR, unlike broadcast TV signals, were not in a regular pattern or at a regular rate because of the mechanism of the VCR causing fluctuations in the sync pulse rate. The VCR preset channel had a modification to the circuit (for that channel) to stop the "fringing" in the top 3rd of the picture. If you switched to the VCR preset channel (whatever that may be on this model) then it might not do that "jumping" when snow is on the screen.

I have this model, but with the mechanical push-button selectors (so no remote), with mechanical memory, rather than an electronic one like yours. Apart from that, it's exactly the same design.

When that telly conks out, I'd rather like to have it :) I collect old TVs. :)

Alkso, i would advise re-taking that image, with the camera flash and the room light turned off, it's barely visible.

(To anyone who can't see, it's the "jumping" that many older CRT TVs used to do when the TV was not tuned into a station.)
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to think of the year it would have been introduced, i'm thinking 1984 or along those lines?
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to think of the year it would have been introduced, i'm thinking 1984 or along those lines?

1982/83 I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    1982/83 I think

As old as me then :D

Any game console i use on it is tuned to use Channel 6

I have also noticed that when i turn it on to use it i have to go to a blank channel and turn the volume down quite a bit then go to the channel i want (usually 6)
    Forum Member
    As old as me then :D

Any game console i use on it is tuned to use Channel 6

I have also noticed that when i turn it on to use it i have to go to a blank channel and turn the volume down quite a bit then go to the channel i want (usually 6)

I think that's when it was introduced, that "design" was used for all Philips and Pye TVs between about 1981 and 1987, slowly being phased out from 1985. Hitachi did a similar thing with their TVs in the early 80s as well. It was just one generic design, with variations and modifications for each version, e.g. the Pye version of that model would have had the panel immediately around the screen to be black, with the rest of it white.

Do you mean that the volume is at max opr near max when you switch it on?

I think this was a common fault among Philips TVs this age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the volume is at max whenever i turn it on, makes me jump sometimes!

I think its quite amazing to see something this old still working and giving a excellent clear picture still! :D
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting forum. We used to have a very similar TV to that one - a PYE 3157 16" Teletext TV (IIRC).

Something fascinating about old/vintage TV's :o:D
    Forum Member
    Yeah the volume is at max whenever i turn it on, makes me jump sometimes!

I think its quite amazing to see something this old still working and giving a excellent clear picture still! :D

Sounds like a failed capacitor or resistor somewhere in the audio circuits. TVs are like cars - you keep on using them regularly until they die and they will have very few faults - you leave them for long periods of time and components will dry up (capacitors) or go brittle (joints to circuit boards, resistors, transformers, fuses etc) and they will break. It shouldn't be too hard for a repairman to do, although they may charge extortionate prices or not do a very good job of it, so if you aren't capable of repairing it yourself, then use a repairman that you know from past experience can be trusted - that is if they haven't packed up, because business is drying up fast for repairmen.

Well TV's were built to last then.

I have three colour portables, two from around this time (the Philips and a Grundig) and a 1969 Sony KV-1320UB - one of the most reliable, and one of the first colour TVs sold in Britain! :D

http://www.golden-agetv.co.uk/img/equipment/313b.jpg
    Forum Member
    finlux wrote: »
    Something fascinating about old/vintage TV's :o:D

Yep, including watching period programmes on them :)

Watching Resurrection of the Daleks (1984), Peter Davison-era Doctor Who on my Philips :)

and then watching The Pert's era of Who on my little Sony :D
    Forum Member
    finlux wrote: »
    Interesting forum. We used to have a very similar TV to that one - a PYE 3157 16" Teletext TV (IIRC).

Internally they're exactly the same.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really.

I have a Sony KV1400UB 14" portable in my office dating from about 1980 still working well, and a Grundig portable of similar vintage in the bedroom, still going strong. In fact I once predicted the KV1400UB will still be working when my present 3 LCD televisions have gone to the scrap heap.

I had the Philips model that preceded that set once, it didn't have remote control, just 8 preset pushbuton channels on the front (or was it just 6)

Oh and on the subject of old tv's I had an old "National Panasonic" Quintrix portable once probably even older than these that I gave to my Mother I Law. It was still working right up to analogue switch off where she lives. I suspect it was scrapped then as it didn't have scart sockets etc for a freeview box.

It seems the components used back then (the electrolytic capacitors in particular) were much better than what's used today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you tune this telly, it has a vertical yellow line that moves from left to right when scanning for channels.
    Forum Member
    When you tune this telly, it has a vertical yellow line that moves from left to right when scanning for channels.

Yup, another Philips/Pye I had (different design, 14" colour portable) which had a mechanical push-button tuner had this meter on the screen as well, rather like the needle on the dial of an old-fashioned radio - the further right it is the higher up the frequency the tuner is. except this vertical line is green. i swapped it with another collector for my nice Grundig :D
    Forum Member
    WinstPon_1 wrote: »
    No it's not. The switch on volume is a user setting. From what I remember:-

Open memory (press button on remote which has an open diamond shape on it)

Adjust volume to your liking.

Close memory (press closed diamond shape on remote)

No, I'm sure it's a fault. We had a Philips Matchline from 1985, and it had a component failure on it's audio board. Over time, I've heard more and more faults with the audio boards from this era of Philips TVs.

It would be likely that the user would have set the switch-on volume when the TV was used more regularly, and I don't think that, using their common sense, they wouldn't have set the switch-on volume at maximum volume.
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    I suspect it was scrapped then as it didn't have scart sockets etc for a freeview box.

It seems the components used back then (the electrolytic capacitors in particular) were much better than what's used today.

You could have bought her a freeview box with RF modulator - then the TV would have worked with the Freeview.

Yup, the capacitors are worse than useless today! Not worth building something if it's not going to work a long time!
    Forum Member
    Yup, another Philips/Pye I had (different design, 14" colour portable) which had a mechanical push-button tuner had this meter on the screen as well, rather like the needle on the dial of an old-fashioned radio - the further right it is the higher up the frequency the tuner is. except this vertical line is green. i swapped it with another collector for my nice Grundig :D

I just remembered, I didn';t swap it, i got the Grundig before I got rid of the Pye.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Smack it. My PC Monitor line Oscillator is palying up. But it prefers a squeeze.

(dry joint or capacitors)

If you can't use a soldering iron, it will have to be repair shop or new TV.
    Forum Member
    Just Smack it. My PC Monitor line Oscillator is palying up. But it prefers a squeeze.

(dry joint or capacitors)

If you can't use a soldering iron, it will have to be repair shop or new TV.

I don't think that would do it. that's when it's a dry joint. This isn't a dry joint problem, as the fault is not intermittent (it happens every time the TV is turned on) and it's this that's making me think it'#s a capacitor or a resistor or some other component that's gone west so to speak. The TV was probably not used for several years. There's electrolytics for the "preset volume control" mentioned above or for the volume control in general.

Thinking about it (although I'm not an expert), a resistor may have lost its resistance. I've contacted a repairman on another forum I regularly visit, so we'll see what he says, as I think he's had plenty of experience with Philips equipment.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    That particular Philips TV (as with most Philips around that period) uses a NiCad battery (either 1.2V or 2.4V - depending on model) to maintain the settings in memory.

These batteries have a fairly short life, and VERY commonly fail - we used to keep both batteries in stock, changing them was probably a weekly occurance?, and we aren't a Philips dealer!.

This would explain why it comes on at full volume, as there's nothing keeping the memory working when it's powered off.

I've just checked, we still have one 2.4V and three 1.2V batteries in stock! :D
    Forum Member
    That particular Philips TV (as with most Philips around that period) uses a NiCad battery (either 1.2V or 2.4V - depending on model) to maintain the settings in memory.

These batteries have a fairly short life, and VERY commonly fail - we used to keep both batteries in stock, changing them was probably a weekly occurance?, and we aren't a Philips dealer!.

This would explain why it comes on at full volume, as there's nothing keeping the memory working when it's powered off.

Ah, I was along the right lines, then.

Still, although it may sound arrogant, I do know more about this kind of thing than most 19 year-olds.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Ah, I was along the right lines, then.

Yes.

Still, although it may sound arrogant, I do know more about this kind of thing than most 19 year-olds.

The TV is too old, and you're too young! :p
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We loved those awful Nicads - a nice easy repair and £40 for a repair in house.... tune it in, reset the picture and sound, set the focus and the customer was happy.

Max volume and all settings lost at mains switch on was certainly one of the symptons for Pye/Phillips Nicad failure in those.

The cheapskates used to leave the TV in standby as it remembers the settings when the nicad memory backup had failed.
    Forum Member
    Yes.

The TV is too old, and you're too young! :p

I mean that many people my age are not interested in technical or engineering jobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand this has no effect on the channels as it always remembers CH 1 - 4 are the usual terrestrial channels (when an aerial is connected), 5 is blank (due to me being in Southampton getting signal from Rowridge, that transmitter no longer has FIVE on analogue), 6 is for games and the rest are not used.