Old Telly Question

2»

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to set the "PP" (Personal Preference) level using the open memory/diamond button then memorise it with the green PP button...this function/procedure is slightly different from the channel memory procedure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that link, I tracked down the exact TV we had in the 70's :D

http://www.golden-agetv.co.uk/img/equipment/89b.jpg

It had 4 buttons, manufacturers thought ahead in those days :D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    You need to set the "PP" (Personal Preference) level using the open memory/diamond button then memorise it with the green PP button...this function/procedure is slightly different from the channel memory procedure.

As has already been explained, it's unlikely that it wasn't set, more that the memory battery has died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    As has already been explained, it's unlikely that it wasn't set, more that the memory battery has died.

And if I read the OPs reply correctly...
    "I understand this has no effect on the channels as it always remembers CH 1 - 4"
    that rules out the backup battery completely.
    The PP values can easily be "unset" by accidental presses of a button or two on the remote by users...I have in my previous job replaced hundreds of the backup batteries in these models.
    The OP can easily test this by (going from memory) switching the set on, pushing the green PP button, setting the volume to zero and storing it by pushing the memory button.
    If he switches the set off completely (not to standby) and then switches it back on and the set comes on at zero volume that proves the backup battery is okay.
    When the backup battery dies the set loses both channel & PP settings...if it loses PP settings only the battery is okay.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I have to agree with John, if it was the backup battery it's very likely all settings would be lost at mains switch on.

If it's just a user setting (vol / col / bri / con) then it's a PP (personal preference) setting that needs re-memorising as mentioned.
    Forum Member
    And if I read the OPs reply correctly...
    "I understand this has no effect on the channels as it always remembers CH 1 - 4"
    that rules out the backup battery completely.
    The PP values can easily be "unset" by accidental presses of a button or two on the remote by users...I have in my previous job replaced hundreds of the backup batteries in these models.
    The OP can easily test this by (going from memory) switching the set on, pushing the green PP button, setting the volume to zero and storing it by pushing the memory button.
    If he switches the set off completely (not to standby) and then switches it back on and the set comes on at zero volume that proves the backup battery is okay.
    When the backup battery dies the set loses both channel & PP settings...if it loses PP settings only the battery is okay.
    Yeah I have to agree with John, if it was the backup battery it's very likely all settings would be lost at mains switch on.

If it's just a user setting (vol / col / bri / con) then it's a PP (personal preference) setting that needs re-memorising as mentioned.

Explain why our Philips Matchline V6720 managed to do exactly this, again without forgetting any channels or other user preferences? Ours didn't even have this stupid useless idea of a volume "personal preference" at switch on, if I remember rightly.

EDIT: I read the rest of John Currie's post, instead of jumping to conclusions as I usually do, without reading the rest of the message.

I seriously don't know what was wrong with Philips during this period. They made parts faulty, and even when they knew they were faulty, they still continued making them unmodified, they invented the dreaded "Charly" deck for their own VHS machines! (why the f**k would they want to do that?) and they regularly did small or complete changes to the design of the inside of their products, without making the tiniest change to the outside or even the model number! Thus confusing repairman even more!!!

Oh yeah, and don't forget how unreliable the N1500/N1700 and V2000 video formats were . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to get in to a heated discussion with you.
    When the backup battery on these Philips models no longer holds it's charge all stored tuning settings are lost and all user settings...Vol, Brightness and Colour reduce to 0 (zero)...fact.
    It's pointless speculating, all I'm stating is that it cannot be the backup battery causing the OPs symptoms.
    Forum Member
    I'm not going to get in to a heated discussion with you.

I've already stated I admit I'm wrong.

So what could have caused the problem with the Philips Matchline of ours then? IIRC, me, being a naive 4 year-old broke it one night by continually switching into standby and on via the remote control (I was bored, and I don't think that 4 year-olds are that knowledgeable, or really care, about what can break a TV), and the volume constantly being at max at switch-on was the result. I'm also intrigued by what could have caused the TV to lose its Teletext ability, as I understand it, this was a common fault with Philips tuners of the time. This never got repaired. It was binned (even though I was given the chance to keep it as a bedroom telly - how silly I was) when I was 7, so either 1997/98.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warning warning!

Thread shooting off into oblivion alert.