Downton Abbey Series Four Thread.

Comments

• LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Edith may well have the most interesting storylines in series 4...[/QUOTE

Good - Edith is much more interesting than Mary

I really liked her s3 storyline. Desperate to be married like her sisters, then finding her feet on her own after bitter rejection and despite being seen as a failure at Downton for failing to find a husband, she realised she could be a success elsewhere.

S4 will develop that further - it's going to be marvellous.
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you Zipgoesamillion and the previous poster. If they are repeatin the Xmas specials I'll look at them too so - I just wasn't going to buy the DVDs haha.

I presume they are going to be on every weekday for 5 weeks - 5 a week - in the lead up to S4

They'll certainly include the CS's otherwise there would be gaps in the story. I guess they'll show 5 days a week, not sure about the weekends. I believe they're replacing Heartbeat repeats on ITV3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really liked her s3 storyline. Desperate to be married like her sisters, then finding her feet on her own after bitter rejection and despite being seen as a failure at Downton for failing to find a husband, she realised she could be a success elsewhere.

S4 will develop that further - it's going to be marvellous.
    Yes especially as Matthew took the news that Gregson was married,to his grave. Edith will be aware that Matthew probably never had time or the inclination to mention it to Mary during what turned out to be his last moments with her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll certainly include the CS's otherwise there would be gaps in the story. I guess they'll show 5 days a week, not sure about the weekends. I believe they're replacing Heartbeat repeats on ITV3.

Yes, 5.55pm start apart from the longer episodes which start earlier. Due to run Monday to Friday which very neatly takes us to 20th September...

It's a fantastic move by ITV, using the back catalogue on the nostalgia channel - it's a viewer service, a boost to a digital channel and a way to promote the new series, all at the same time. I'm very glad ITV secured these repeat rights, plus the Sunday afternoon narrative repeats during each series. They all do very good business, too.

Heartbeat will still be shown at lunchtime but there will be no narrative repeat at teatime while Downton is on.
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edith may well have the most interesting storylines in series 4...[/QUOTE

ITA. Sybil was my favorite but now Edith has moved into that position. I look forward to her S4 story.
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member

Yes! Was re-watching series 1 ep 6 last night, and I just love Edith. Her little face when Anthony Strallan asks her to the music concert :) I can't wait to see her sneaking around with Gregson (I hope!)

Not so bothered about Mary. If she hadn't farted around so much in S1 deciding whether she liked Matthew or not, he might still be around today. He was too nice for her.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens downstairs more, though. How will Thomas and Jimmy's relationship be? Will Daisy move to the farm with William's dad? Will Alfred become a cook? How is Nigel Harman's character going to stir things up? Who is the new ladies' maid? What dirt does Thomas have on her? Will Carson and Mrs Hughes share a kiss? Will Bates confess to offing his wife after all? Will Anna get pregnant?

And most importantly - will Rob James-Collier still look as sexy in a wig?!

5 weeks and 6 days to go! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tweet from Jon East the director of the CS said 5 days to go. After weeks filming upstairs now filming downstairs. Presume from that this last block will take place at Ealing Studios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote_Bee;67844074]

Not so bothered about Mary. If she hadn't farted around so much in S1 deciding whether she liked Matthew or not, he might still be around today. He was too nice for her.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens downstairs more, though. How will Thomas and Jimmy's relationship be? Will Daisy move to the farm with William's dad? Will Alfred become a cook? How is Nigel Harman's character going to stir things up? Who is the new ladies' maid? What dirt does Thomas have on her? Will Carson and Mrs Hughes share a kiss? Will Bates confess to offing his wife after all? Will Anna get pregnant?q

And most importantly - will Rob James-Collier still look as sexy in a wig?!

5 weeks and 6 days to go! :D[/QUOTE]

He turned Mary into a nicer person. Michelle has said in one scene Mary comments "I don't know whether I'm mourning for Matthew or for the nicer person he turned me into".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in all the characters and Mary's character and storyline will be energised by Matthew's demise, as Branson's was in s3. Much as I liked Sybil and Matthew, happy marriages are dull, dull, dull in drama terms.

It's the press launch and ep1 screening tomorrow. There's been some rumbling in the UK press about American critics getting a first view of a British programme, but really all they got were a few snippets and airey-fairey comments that have left them gushing and speculating like viewers. The UK press get to see ep1 and receive detailed info on forthcoming episodes. TV journalists then see each episode weeks before it is broadcast (usually - obviously doesn't happen for the big death episodes) so the UK gets by far the best deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in all the characters and Mary's character and storyline will be energised by Matthew's demise, as Branson's was in s3. Much as I liked Sybil and Matthew, happy marriages are dull, dull, dull in drama terms.

It's the press launch and ep1 screening tomorrow. There's been some rumbling in the UK press about American critics getting a first view of a British programme, but really all they got were a few snippets and airey-fairey comments that have left them gushing and speculating like viewers. The UK press get to see ep1 and receive detailed info on forthcoming episodes. TV journalists then see each episode weeks before it is broadcast (usually - obviously doesn't happen for the big death episodes) so the UK gets by far the best deal.

Sounds good. Perhaps we'll get a few more spoilers in the coming weeks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. Perhaps we'll get a few more spoilers in the coming weeks!

There'll be a few episode reviews that aren't meant to give away much, plus some gossip, I'd expect.

I'm not sure when the press pack comes out. I would imagine after Wednesday as The X Factor hasn't been officially confirmed yet. Could be another week or two, I suppose.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIG Downton fan :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tv writers and news critics today attended a screening of Ep. 1 followed by interviews with the cast. Downton Obsession has been tweeting various photos from the event. So far it appears to have been well received. Mourning, kissing, Germany and jobs appears to be the order of the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tv writers and news critics today attended a screening of Ep. 1 followed by interviews with the cast. Downton Obsession has been tweeting various photos from the event. So far it appears to have been well received. Mourning, kissing, Germany and jobs appears to be the order of the day.

Yes, ITV really pulled out all the stops with the launch. Astonishing.:eek:

Here's a link to the series 4 image and a few pics - a couple not seen so far, I think.

http://www.itv.com/downtonabbey/

Nice to see Cara Theobold included, but sadly no Kevin Doyle. A shame for him that at the start of both s3 and s4 Molesley isn't employed at Downton! Still, he has a great role coming up in The Ark for the BBC, and I'm sure when he started on Downton he wouldn't have expected to become a main player. I adore Molesley!

I have no idea when the press pack will be publicly available - how do you define "soon"?:confused: And I'm not certain on trailers - Doc Martin appearing so soon was unexpected. It's one of the big three for ITV early this autumn (plus Whitechapel which doesn't quite have the same kudos) and it appears to be running a week or two ahead of Downton.

Edited to add link - and apology for senior moment!:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, ITV really pulled out all the stops with the launch. Astonishing.:eek:

Here's a link to the series 4 image and a few pics - a couple not seen so far, I think.

Nice to see Cara Theobold included, but sadly no Kevin Doyle. A shame for him that at the start of both s3 and s4 Molesley isn't employed at Downton! Still, he has a great role coming up in The Ark for the BBC, and I'm sure when he started on Downton he wouldn't have expected to become a main player. I adore Molesley!

I have no idea when the press pack will be publicly available - how do you define "soon"?:confused: And I'm not certain on trailers - Doc Martin appearing so soon was unexpected. It's one of the big three for ITV early this autumn (along with Whitechapel) and it appears to be running a week or two ahead of Downton.

interested to see the other pics, but sorry where's the link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear the cast interviews today are embargoed until 12 Sept. We'll have a month to wait and see if anything slips out soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear the cast interviews today are embargoed until 12 Sept. We'll have a month to wait and see if anything slips out soon.

Well, Downton won't be confirmed in the TV schedules until the afternoon of Wednesday Sept 11 so that makes sense in that it allows the papers to use info from the press launch from midnight. The press pack should be out before then. And there should be a trailer, too.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New cast photo. Im thinking this will be the dvd image as the image on amazon at the moment is the same background just without the characters
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s183/downton-abbey/news/a506481/downton-abbey-series-four-first-full-cast-picture-without-dan-stevens.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New cast photo. Im thinking this will be the dvd image as the image on amazon at the moment is the same background just without the characters
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s183/downton-abbey/news/a506481/downton-abbey-series-four-first-full-cast-picture-without-dan-stevens.html

Yes, that was basically just a picture of Highclere because the s4 image was not available until today. The DVD is set to be released on November 11.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was basically just a picture of Highclere because the s4 image was not available until today. The DVD is set to be released on November 11.

SO the dvd is coming out the day after the series finishes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO the dvd is coming out the day after the series finishes?

Yes they never release the DVDs until after the series has been shown. Likewise the CS isn't released until 26 Dec the day after its showing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Reviews are starting to come in. They're spoiler free but they all seem to be raving!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/10240874/Downton-Abbey-series-four-episode-one-first-look-review.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here are a couple more:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-08-14/downton-abbey-series-4-first-look-preview

http://home.bt.com/entertainment/tv/tvfeatures/downton-abbey-series-four-sneak-preview-11363824416281

As an aside, ITV3 is showing From Time To Time on Saturday August 24. Directed and adapted by Julian Fellowes, the stars include Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Allen Leech, Daisy Lewis and Harriet Walter. Some other big names in there too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the transcript of the Q&A at the Downton press launch (not subject to an embargo) from the excellent Ian Wylie.

http://lifeofwylie.com/2013/08/15/downton-abbey-series-4-ray-of-light/