Ice Cream Sandwich for Xperia U on O2?

Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
Forum Member
It seems 3 users already have the upgrade, but not O2. This isn't something you can really Google, as you get a slew of results for other Xperia models and umpteen links simply detailing the fact that ICS is now available (for some). A major factor in buying this phone was the promised upgrade, but apparently O2 have been in the habit of denying their customers upgrades of late. So does anyone know if/when 02 are likely to pull their finger out, and make the upgrade available?

Comments

• godlivesgodlives Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    is that the way it works by network i have the xperia u unlocked on pay as you go and still have not had the ics upgrade :(
  • Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    I'm presuming so. When I try to update using the phone itself, or the Sony PC Companion software, it tells me I already have the latest updates. But 3 have a video up showing users how some of the new features work, so their users must've already had it.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    godlives wrote: »
    is that the way it works by network i have the xperia u unlocked on pay as you go and still have not had the ics upgrade :(

Im thinking of getting this phone. read a lot of good reveiws but also bad. some saying sound quality is bad so when you get a text message or a call, volume is too low to hear it and also texting is a bit fiddly. i have thin fingers so don`t know if that would be a problem.
    Forum Member
    Ignore my previous post, and check here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/53823
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting this phone. read a lot of good reveiws but also bad. some saying sound quality is bad so when you get a text message or a call, volume is too low to hear it and also texting is a bit fiddly. i have thin fingers so don`t know if that would be a problem.

i have not had any problems with sound quality at all, the texting i have found good and i have quite small thin fingers too and i do like a smaller phone some might find it small but i can still manouver around the phone with one hand. the only thing i was worried about with this phone was the lack of sd card slot but depending on your usage i have enough room for my music and my photo i'm happy with this phone. be happier if i get ics on it too :D:)

hope that helps tried to be as honest as i could.
    Forum Member
    Ignore my previous post, and check here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/53823

oh thanks for that mine is not on the list yet but i have saved link now so i know where to look !

hope you get yours updated :)
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    The sound quality isn't bad at all, but the volume can indeed be an issue. I often get wake up calls of a morning though, and it's loud enough to cope with that. If you were out shopping and had it in your bag/pocket, it's feasible you'd not hear it. The default notification/text alert is certainly more than loud enough. But some of the onboard alternatives or tones you've added yourself may be an issue. I've not heard text alerts at times (using a tone I added myself), but still felt the vibration in my pocket. I find the volume is an issue mostly when using the FM radio - my old Samsung Tocco Lite was certainly louder than the Xperia U at full volume.

Texting may be an issue for male fingers, if you use the full QWERTY option in portrait mode. You've got 10 letters on the top row, in a space of about 43mm. But you don't have to use QWERTY, and you could install Handcent or Swype as alternatives, too. And of course you've got landscape mode available for texting as well.
    oh thanks for that mine is not on the list yet but i have saved link now so i know where to look !

hope you get yours updated :)
    Nor mine.

Cheers. ;)
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    No ICS yet for the unlocked UK version of Xperia U. Disappointing...
    Forum Member
    No ICS yet for the unlocked UK version of Xperia U. Disappointing...

the waiting is annoying wish sony had sent out the update all together for everyone instead of these drib and drabs.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Sony does love complication and bureaucracy, which tends to drag things out. Owners of some sim free, unbranded, UK 2011 Sony models are still waiting for an update. The roll out for that started in May!

So I think UK Xperia U owners have quite a while to wait. Something purchasers of the Xperia T should bear in mind as it ships with ICS. Bizarre for a flag ship model when Jelly Bean has been around for several months.
    Forum Member
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/53823

sony have today released some more updates available for sony xperia u hope some of you guys get it

again mine is not there not fair that sony are punishing us sim free customers :(