Lidl - Good and bad

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I got the Vax Hand Held Vacuum, but I've seen reviews that says the battery life is not very good on it due to a dodgy Chinese battery. No wonder it was £30 cheap. :(

Oh well I'll be happy if I can get a year's use out of it.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    Good: Nothing

Bad: All of it
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    BTW their flat frozen pizzas are great. If you also like Dr Oetker ones try the LIDL vegetable or spinach for starters.

I tried Lidl's pizzas once and I found them very similar to Dr Oetker. They were nice though. I go to Lidl once every few weeks. My local one has a bakery in it now and the stuff is lovely :D I also bought a satellite dish in there a few months ago.
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good: Nothing

Bad: All of it

Ridiculous
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All stores should have their own instore bakeries by the end of this year. Hand baskets are also now becoming standard.

They have vastly improved their product range and indeed stores over the past 10 years.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I would say that 90% of stuff from there is good.

At lot of the stuff is made in Germany and you don't get made poor products made there.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Lidl's have finally got hand baskets.

Hope my local has got them in now. Always felt like I was shoplifting whilst putting what I wanted in my carrier bag :o

Used to have a Aldi across the road which was very handy.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good: A lot deal of it.

Bad: some of their frozen prepared stuff.

Evil: Their chilli sauce in a jar, stupidly hot and I really enjoyed it at the time, but gave me the scariest/hottest poo ever known to mankind the day after
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I loved Lidl...especially during my student days....great stuff. You can get Kinder at a much lower price than Tesco or Asda. Fact.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I just got around to trying their Bellarom Gold 100% Arabica coffee, which comes in a vacuum-packed brick. It was on offer last week and 'm glad I only bought one because it's horrible. I think I'll end up throwing it out.

I also tried their frozen chicken dippers. They weren't particularly good, tasting more of fat and gristle than chicken meat. I ate them all but won't buy them again.

As for the in-store bakery, my local branch got one last year and I've tried a couple of things. I like the croissants, but they have a habit of burning them. I think maybe they're understaffed and no one has time to remove them from the oven once they're done. I tried a couple of loaves of in-store baked bread and they weren't nice. Very heavy and gummy. The other problem is flies crawling all over the exposed bread. I tend to pick up the croissants with my fingers as long as they haven't been out very long. It seems to me that as long as I'm only touching the croissants I'm buying, it's probably safer than using the tongs that have been touched by everyone and are probably never cleaned!

I tried a couple of their pasta salads (tomato, and bacon & chicken) and they were nice, though perhaps expensive for 99p. I also notice the price of their fresh peppers has gone up, and is now the same as Asda and Morrisons. I still buy them in Lidl because I'm happier giving my money to them!

Has anyone tried their cereals? They have a very impressive range, but how do they compare to Kellogg's?

Their limescale remover is good, but I bought a packet of W5 WC-Tabs to clean the toilet and they're pretty poor. They work a bit but leave too much behind, and have absolutely no effect on the limescale around the waterline. Given that I had to go and buy something better to get rid of that, and properly clean everything else, I may as well have not bought the tablets.

Their premium dry cat food is also very good, though expensive. I have an old cat who can't chew the big nuggets of dry food you get in Go-Cat, but it is able to eat the tiny doughnut-shaped Opticat food.
  • farmhandfarmhand Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lidl mushrooms in jar of oil (not the Italian ones) are delicious. They are by far the cheapest tasty preserved mushrooms.... although the Polish delis offer a terrific range too these days.
  • liglooligloo Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jaffa cakes, way better than mcvities imo
    Fresh pizzas
    Bottled raspberries
    Some cereals, mainly muesli type
    Cheese or poppyseed twists
    Ham

Dislike

Majority of their meat
    Most of their veg
    Toilet rolls
    Tubs of shellfish (very salty for me)

Booze is a hit or a miss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is bad is that EVERYTIME I go there, there is a massive a queue AND ONLY ONE CASHIER!!!!

Grrrr

*Rant over* :)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    Good: A lot deal of it.

Bad: some of their frozen prepared stuff.

Evil: Their chilli sauce in a jar, stupidly hot and I really enjoyed it at the time, but gave me the scariest/hottest poo ever known to mankind the day after

A charming anecdote. You're wasted here! :p
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do wraps which are good for 69p much cheaper than anywhere else. I like the cottage cheese, amaretto, german sausages and the vegetables are good value although sometimes they are a bit manky, you have to catch them at the right time I think.
    Forum Member
    ligloo wrote: »

Jaffa cakes, way better than mcvities imo

Booze is a hit or a miss

These are two of the things that have gone downhill at Lidl in terms of choice.

You used to be able to get Raspberry and Cherry Jaffa cakes as well as orange, now you can only get orange.

They used to sell about 3 different "own brand" bottled German beers, when I last went in they only had one.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Their vintage farmhouse cheddar is great. Crumbly and granuley if that was a word.

Now I bought some 'extra mature' cheddar from Lidl and it was bland and certainly not worth the tag 'mature'.

However, their parmesan is great and half the price of other supermarkets. Also, I got a bag of lemons for 75p, which were twice the size of other supermarket lemons.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do an excellent can of coconut milk, it's in a black tin and costs 99p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of Lidls own brand cereals have no added vitamins in them, even the cereal aimed at kids..just look at the ingredients, they used to have different cereals with 7 added vitamins now they have none.
    I think the Tesco value cereals are the same but the Lidl ones are a bit dearer.
    That is bad, it makes you wonder what else they have taken out off their food products or not added to save money.
    Aldis own brand cereals have 8 added vitamins and taste nicer too. Lidl have really been cutting costs it seems and you can tell by their products.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BAD
    W5 Dishwasher Tablets - Do more harm than good
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Just tried:

Frozen jumbo fries, currently on offer - Very nice.

'Mister Choc' M&Ms - Not quite as nice as real M&Ms, but perfectly adequate and cheaper. Would be nice if they were less than 99p though.

Chocolate covered raisins - Nice, better than most supermarket own-brand. But not amazing.

Jaffa cakes - OK, but prefer McVities. I think the ingredients are all just as nice, but the problem is the ratios. There's not much biscuit and too much jelly, making them too sickly. If they had a thicker biscuit and just a small blob of jelly on top, like McVities, they'd be just as good. Shame I never got to try the other flavours others have said they used to do.
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Most of Lidls own brand cereals have no added vitamins in them
    As long as they taste nice, I wouldn't be so bothered about that as I'm sure I get enough vitamins from my overall diet. However, Morrisons are doing 750g boxes of Kellogs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes for £1.49, if you're interested. I went to my local but they were already out of stock on the first day of the offer.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Jaffa cakes - OK, but prefer McVities. I think the ingredients are all just as nice, but the problem is the ratios. There's not much biscuit and too much jelly, making them too sickly. If they had a thicker biscuit and just a small blob of jelly on top, like McVities, they'd be just as good. Shame I never got to try the other flavor.

Yes I agree their Jaffa Cakes are too sickly.

They need more biscuit and slightly less jam.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    BAD
    W5 Dishwasher Tablets - Do more harm than good

They are award winning so this seems to be quite a claim.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only bought one because it's horrible. I think I'll end up throwing it out.
    Stick with it. Like a lot of harsh average coffees it grows on you. I drink a decent quantity of coffee but if you are an occasional drinker it will be harder to get acquired.

I was really hoping their better quality expresso would be on offer again so I could stock up big.
    I have favourite coffees get bored with even the best so I chop and change.
    Forum Member

Jaffa cakes - OK, but prefer McVities. I think the ingredients are all just as nice, but the problem is the ratios. There's not much biscuit and too much jelly, making them too sickly. If they had a thicker biscuit and just a small blob of jelly on top, like McVities, they'd be just as good. Shame I never got to try the other flavours others have said they used to do.

There were at least two other flavours, raspberry and cherry.

The cherry were my favourite, it's a flavour that always goes well with dark chocolate.