The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurker62 wrote: »
    That's fine with me. It's a holiday here on Wednesday, so I can open the round then.

Where are you from Btw?!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would link to this weeks new contest from Ross here, because its on the old thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=80242007&postcount=12894
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Ooh shiny new thread!
    I know I've hosted a couple of times already but I'm happy to do it again , as long as it's our inaugural best of junior Eurovision!!!!!!:)

Weedy's reviews would be epic

I can't wait for this round. It's going to be chaos! :D
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need another non-qualifier or underrated round too! Just found a song I hated previously but now cant stop listening to it!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up for doing the end of year finals if you like
  • Lurker62Lurker62 Posts: 3,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    Where are you from Btw?!

Canada. Alberta to be specific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for votes from

big bro geek
    BBAnne
    Weedydiamond
    BethnalGreen
    Drew Peakcock
    Spindiddly
    thms

Got until 5pm!

Playlist here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=80258908&postcount=6

2 songs left on single figures!
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just home from a weekend away, Motogp Craziness will have to take centre stage for the next couple of hours, but I promise to do them straight after (I pretty much know where I'm going with my votes...)
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you would like to enter best staging, you have until 5pm to send me an entry.

I have received entries from -

brb
    steeleuro_wolf
    avb
    Jaccobabe
    Lurker62
    nick1990
    Only_You
    BBAnne
    ESC Ross
    sbrum1984
    phill363
    Lisa.B
    thms
    big bro geek

If your name is on the list and you have not had a pm back or if you have sent me an entry and you are not on the list, please let me know.
  • weedydiamondweedydiamond Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did promise someone a review, but -

Less of a Weedy Review, more an erudite discussion of Guilty Pleasures:

I was intrigued by this weeks contest title. After all – what constitutes a Guilty Pleasure? Having defined it as a song that I would be embarrassed to be caught singing or watching, I had to dismiss some of my early ideas. After all, I couldn’t put in Elena’s Balkan Girls or Hadise’s Dum Tek Tek. Everyone knows I like the sight of a pretty girl (or two or three or six) in skimpy clothes, I’m not guilty of perving, (honest. :D), it’s just that as a bloke I like a bit of eye candy. Now if Jaccobabe had entered Balkan Girls, (or if I had put in Golden Boy or Can Bonomo) that would have been a different matter.

So one person’s Guilty Pleasure might be another’s “what’s the problem” ? And it didn’t help BBAnne outing me as a very unlikely schlager lover. For Drew, anything without an accordion and /or non-Dutch and non-German will do, so his choice might be any of the above list. Dulcimer Drew?

And older songs would be guilty pleasures for the youngsters here – if you are 25 you are not really supposed to enjoy Brotherhood of Man except in a twee and childish way.

So maybe we needed to know who put which song in, or perhaps the selection should have been followed with a one line explanation? It is going to be tricky to score this. Anyway, tonight we find out who put what in, and we will need explanations!

Russia 2014 - Was I supposed to boo? The girls are too sweet for that.
    Slovenia 2006 – Its very schlagerish isn’t it? And lots of pretty girls…
    Bosnia 2008 - Since this is utter twaddle, it’s clearly a guilty pleasure as I love it. My love is almost unbounded but not quite, it’s just missing the chicken…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuiUyFrYCYM
    Latvia 2014 – Cheesy as they come (except for Cheesecake of course), and clearly someone’s guilty pleasure. And its pants.
    Ireland 2012 – No, no, please, not the hideous Jedward. I detest the untalented duo from Britains karaoke contest.
    Czech Rep 2008 – I like it visually, but the singing makes my ears bleed.
    Moldova 2015 – What Lisa.B said. Not sure if it’s a guilty pleasure, unless you have a fetish for girls (or boys) in police uniforms and handcuffs. Oh. :blush:
    United Kingdom 2010 – So whenever someone has a good idea in work, eg “Shall we go to the pub” and I reply “United Kingdom 2010” they look at me stupid and I have to explain. And then they shake their heads sadly.
    Latvia 2008 – This could have been a guilty pleasure for me, except that she was sinfully ugly (and overdressed). I know all the words – does that count?
    Belarus 2011 – How many blowjobs did she have to give to get the gig? She was terribly hoarse trying to sing this. Deffo a guilty pleasure, and this could easily win this comp.
    United Kingdom 1976 – If this is one of the kids harking back to the bygone better days of music, then I approve, but if its just BBAnne being all nostalgic, then this choice is a fail.
    Belgium 2002 – Very intriguing entry – who would go for pop rock as a guilty pleasure? Perhaps they fancy meatloaf impersonators.
    Albania 2009 – What more could you want? A young girl with a fairy dress, two white-faced dwarves dancing and a green hooded stalker. Perverted.
    Serbia 2010 – The naff song, the ridiculous haircut, the daft jacket, the sad dancing, the hideous howling, I should absolutely hate it.
    Germany 2003 – Lou is a bit old to be in the disco with these youngsters, but its very cheerful and schagerish.
    Ireland 2008 – Well, someone in Ireland must have liked it. But if this is your guilty pleasure you need to be slapped silly.
    Bosnia 2004 – I was proably too distracted by the gyrating girls to realise how bad this really was when it came on. Now why do I think the Forum Member who put this in fancies Deen and his thrusting?
    Austria 1996 – Gospel at Eurovision – who would have thought it?
    Austria 1977 – Its naff, but it was meant as a satire of the music industry at the time, and a sendup of the contest itself. Very controversial back then.
    Israel 2011 – yes, I can see that this would be someones guilty pleasure. Dana must be spitting tacks she didn’t grow a beard in 2011.
    France 2010 – Great football song to finish and not the usual French Moaning Minnie. But is it a guilty pleasure? Only if you love French moaning Minnies. (Or you are a secret bum-wiggling admirer!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for 1 voter. You have until 5pm!
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Still waiting for 1 voter. You have until 5pm!

just got back in.. really thought i was not going to make it back in time..

doing my votes now..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone have any suggestions?

i can't complete the 'title' box in my pm to brb?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    does anyone have any suggestions?

i can't complete the 'title' box in my pm to brb?

Reply to my message confirming your entry. It's a bug that you can't complete the title box :(

edit: looks like I never confirmed your entry! Meh.

I guess you could always just post them here. You're the last FM to vote and I can't think of any other way around it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reply to my message confirming your entry. It's a bug that you can't complete the title box :(

thanks for letting me know, can you send me a pm confirming my entry I don't have one from you. if you have deleted my pm. i can resend it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    thanks for letting me know, can you send me a pm confirming my entry I don't have one from you. if you have deleted my pm. i can resend it.

yes, please resend it! You should be able to include your votes in the body of the message then also :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, please resend it! You should be able to include your votes in the body of the message then also :D

that's what i am doing.. i still have four minutes lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All votes in :D and we have a clear winner!

Results from 6pm :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me - for ties, we do most 12s, etc first, right? Or most voters?!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All votes in :D and we have a clear winner!

Results from 6pm :)

I think Lou/Laka will have won(I can't abide the latter however)
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me - for ties, we do most 12s, etc first, right? Or most voters?!

Most voters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okies! Let's go :)

In last place and the only song left with single figures...

21st Place – 6 points
    Belgium 2002 - Sergio & the Ladies – Sister

Drew Peacock

12 -
    10 -
    8 -

7 -
    6 -
    5 -
    4 -
    3 -
    2 – thms
    1 - steeleuro_wolf, Weedydiamond, BBAnne, ESC Ross
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our first tie of the evening!

20th Place – 13 points
    United Kingdom 1976 - Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses for Me
    (3 voters)
    BethnalGreen

12 -
    10 -
    8 -

7 -
    6 - Phill363
    5 -
    4 - ESC Ross
    3 - Spindiddly
    2 -
    1 –
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winner of the tie... my 8 points from 2014! I wanted so badly to give this points, but I love Shine #NoShame

19th Place – 13 points
    Russia 2014 - Tolmachevy Sisters – Shine
    (5 voters)
    NightFox_Dancer

12 -
    10 -
    8 -

7 -
    6 - Spindiddly
    5 -
    4 -
    3 - BethnalGreen