Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban "bewilders" Church of England

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it interesting that many people are picking up on the potential (according to DCM) of the ad to be offensive and as a result are essentially backing this ad, yet I'm willing to bet that if DCM had said something like 'It's nothing at all to do with causing offence, we just don't feel a cinema is an appropriate place for religion', most people would probably agree with that. Just as people fall over themselves to express their faux-outrage, an equal number can't wait to express their faux non-outrage. Interesting.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've made a choice to go and see the film though, if you wanted to hear prayers, you'd go to church instead. I wouldn't be offended by the advert but showing it would open the door to all religious and political advertising and we get enough of religion and politics in the real world at the moment. A trip to the cinema should be an escape from it.

I can sort of see what you're saying. It wouldn't bother me though and wouldn't have any effect on me either. I would actually find it quite boring and start fiddling with something until it was over.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    People offended by their own countries heritage, culture and history. Idiots.

A company saying we will not show religious or political adverts seems fair to me.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We forgive those who trespass against us.
    Let me guess, Bruce Willis in Lucky Number Slevin? Before the cellophane thing?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t know about anyone else but there are indeed some things i find offensive about all of those, however i find any religion rammed down my throat at an inappropriate venue or event offensive.

please explain how this makes someone an idiot.
    Its not really about you. You can be offended if you like. Anyone can find offence anywhere, why not ban everything?

make your mind up.

so, how`s it make someone an idiot?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I find it interesting that many people are picking up on the potential (according to DCM) of the ad to be offensive and as a result are essentially backing this ad, yet I'm willing to bet that if DCM had said something like 'It's nothing at all to do with causing offence, we just don't feel a cinema is an appropriate place for religion', most people would probably agree with that. Just as people fall over themselves to express their faux-outrage, an equal number can't wait to express their faux non-outrage. Interesting.

But surely if that were ever said, they'd have to ban all films about religion as well?
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    A company saying we will not show religious or political adverts seems fair to me.

They can ban what they like. It was people expressing how utterly outraged they would be at an advert with a prayer in it at christmas time that made me laugh. Just so fake and pointless.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Now I'm not religious in any way, but it's amusing to me that you could go to a cinema and watch a film featuring violence, murder and bad language - yet the powers that be are worried you'd be offended by sixty seconds worth of God botherers reciting a few words beforehand.

So come on staunch atheists and non-Christians of DS. Have they got this right? They won't show this in cinemas because you might be offended by it. Are you offended by it?

Not offended, but a bit uncomfortable as I would rather not be preached at when I go to the cinema. Right decision by the agency, but they should have just said it's not their policy to accept religious advertising and left it at that.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    But surely if that were ever said, they'd have to ban all films about religion as well?
    :D Touché.

That's not within DCM's remit anyway. They might genuinely feel that way, but they couldn't stop a religious film being shown. They only select the ads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Precisely. The Nativity Story film is a good example. I'm sure there's others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    make your mind up.

so, how`s it make someone an idiot?

Becuase i find fake outrage offence idiotic.
    Forum Member
    They can ban what they like. It was people expressing how utterly outraged they would be at an advert with a prayer in it at christmas time that made me laugh. Just so fake and pointless.

Who has said they would be "utterly outraged"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Not offended, but a bit uncomfortable as I would rather not be preached at when I go to the cinema. Right decision by the agency, but they should have just said it's not their policy to accept religious advertising and left it at that.

Yes, such a statement would be fair and impartial. I wouldn't disagree with this approach.

By the way, out of interest, does anybody know if it's possible to view the advert anywhere?
  • JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC doesn't pander to the easily offended by removing a number of Christian religious services and programmes from their radio and TV schedules, and that a portion of the licence fee still goes towards supporting Christian values.

Not not everyone is christian we have Atheists and people of other Faith's.
    So why should non christian live by christian values.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who has said they would be "utterly outraged"?

The offended?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

I like to believe that not calling people who we disagree with 'idiots' etc is part of the culture of this country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDF wrote: »

Not everybody is a football supporter or likes Eastenders, but they cater for all interests - and 59.3% of this country's population described themselves as Christians in the 2011 census. Probably because they don't constantly make a song and dance about their beliefs, that majority isn't always obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDF wrote: »

Don't watch their religious content. Simple. There's plenty of other things.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we know exactly who they mean, and it's not whether you're Labour, Conservative or an atheist.

The Jedi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I like to believe that not calling people who we disagree with 'idiots' etc is part of the culture of this country.

I wasn't disagreeing with anyone. I respect differences. I wouldn't ban an advert about atheists for example or pretend to be offended by it, if someone did id think that would be idiotic too.
    Forum Member
    The offended?

No, don't think so.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    The BBC is reaching Daily Mail levels of misleadingness in headlines. The advert hasn't been banned - a private company, which has doesn't accept political or religious adverts, has refused to show it. DCM have no obligation to show any advert

If the CoE can find an advertiser willing to show it, it will be shown.

The agency have banned it then, as they ban all other religious and political advertising. Presumably they have checked that they can legally do this.

Was the CoE aware of the ban and thus looking to create headlines? Or where they just ill-informed?
    Forum Member
    Not everybody is a football supporter or likes Eastenders, but they cater for all interests - and 59.3% of this country's population described themselves as Christians in the 2011 census. Probably because they don't constantly make a song and dance about their beliefs, that majority isn't always obvious.

I sense an agenda here!
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't be offended, I just wouldn't want to hear it at a cinema. Well done to the cinemas for refusing to screen it and maybe other broadcasters could take note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, don't think so.

What dont you think?