1 in 5 Brit Muslims’ sympathy for jihadis

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »
    All sympathisers of the Charlie Hebdo attacks should be forced to live in Saudi Arabia.

The linked poll didn't say anything about sympathisers of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, just for your info.
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    The linked poll didn't say anything about sympathisers of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, just for your info.

Any shred of sympathy for the motives of the attackers - of which there is no possible justification for killing someone for drawing a cartoon - is deeply disturbing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any shred of sympathy for the motives of the attackers - of which there is no possible justification for killing someone for drawing a cartoon - is deeply disturbing.

The poll didn't mention the attackers either. It's linked upthread if you want to take a look.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about the Independent debunking it then ?
    Exactly the same hopeless attempt at denial as that in the Mirror and Guardian.

Thanks, makes for interesting reading.

I don't know why. It's the raw figures without The Sun's headline. I hate The Sun - always have done - but I fail to see how they have so shamelessly distorted the story of this poll.

Plenty of other uncomfortable results in the poll, also.

We all know what the word sympathy means. Nothing vague about it whatsoever. As in "I have absolutely no sympathy with your stance on this subject".
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll didn't mention the attackers either. It's linked upthread if you want to take a look.

So they were expressing sympathy for those travelling to Syria to appreciate the beauty of the landscape and see what the ice cream is like?

Oh boy.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    4 out 5 Brits have sympathy for those believing anything The Sun prints.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    So they were expressing sympathy for those travelling to Syria to appreciate the beauty of the landscape and see what the ice cream is like?

Oh boy.

If you can find a part in the 'i' article where the poll asks about the Charlie Hebdo attackers, I'd love to see it. It certainly said that more non-Muslims than Muslims in that age group had 'sympathy'.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »

Oh boy.

There are many people who are vehemently anti assad and not pro isis. Cameron supported the fight against assad, presumably he had sympathy for those who travelled there to join that fight
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun ehh
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the company that carried out the survey are now distancing themselves from the sun's flowering up of the outcome.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pollster-behind-1-5-muslims-6891687

The statement from Survation ..

Uncomfortable truths are still true no matter if you try to distance yourself from them or not.
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    The Islamophobes

I'm sorry. It's just that Islam and many of its followers have a disturbing intolerance of non-believers, homosexuality, adultery, funny drawings and countless other aspects of Western society that kind of begs the question of who are the real phobics, but apparently any critics of Islam and its followers are the ones who are intolerant. That in turn increases my phobia a little.
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun were just jumping on the bandwagon to stir the pot....Even it it meant using misleading polls and sensationalized headline's...
  • Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    If you can find a part in the 'i' article where the poll asks about the Charlie Hebdo attackers, I'd love to see it. It certainly said that more non-Muslims than Muslims in that age group had 'sympathy'.
    I don't know what that poll but, I found a number of polls here -

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/bbc-radio-4-today-muslim-poll/
    Forum Member
    I don't know what that poll but, I found a number of polls here -

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/bbc-radio-4-today-muslim-poll/
    " One in nine (11%) British Muslims feel sympathetic towards people who want to fight against western interests while 85% do not."
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Uncomfortable truths are still true no matter if you try to distance yourself from them or not.
    The uncomfortable truths are :

1) The survey did not ask about IS or Jihadis, it asked about Syria
    2) The survey asked about "sympathy" which is a very ambiguous term
    3) The results are similar to a poll conducted by Sky News which included Muslims and non-Muslims.

If the Sun wanted to run an honest poll it would have asked unambiguous questions like "Do you support IS" which is clear, concise and leaves little room for ambiguity.
    Forum Member
    If the Sun wanted to run an honest poll
    :D The Sun don't do honest! ;-)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    The BBC Com Res poll:

Western liberal society can never be compatible with Islam - 20% agree

Acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Mohammad can never be justified - 24% disagree

I have some sympathy for the motives behind the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris - 27% agree

So these figures from this new poll are hardly surprising.

Those are truly appalling and disappointing figures with roughly a quarter supporting violence. Violence deliberately targeted against civilians is never justified and it should never be supported.
  • JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. It's just that Islam and many of its followers have a disturbing intolerance of non-believers, homosexuality, adultery, funny drawings and countless other aspects of Western society that kind of begs the question of who are the real phobics, but apparently any critics of Islam and its followers are the ones who are intolerant. That in turn increases my phobia a little.

If the muslims that HATE the west they should just leave for a muslim country.
    And they would be happy and it be best of the rest of us if they did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are truly appalling and disappointing figures with roughly a quarter supporting violence. Violence deliberately targeted against civilians is never justified and it should never be supported.

tire all muslims with the same brush is wrong,and that the same time is wrong of muslims(extremists) to tire all non muslims with the same brush>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The uncomfortable truths are :

1) The survey did not ask about IS or Jihadis, it asked about Syria
    2) The survey asked about "sympathy" which is a very ambiguous term
    3) The results are similar to a poll conducted by Sky News which included Muslims and non-Muslims.

If the Sun wanted to run an honest poll it would have asked unambiguous questions like "Do you support IS" which is clear, concise and leaves little room for ambiguity.

The Sun said it best:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/sun_says/6500866/Sun-Says.html

Time for the left to take their head out of the sand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's in the UK as well, imagine asking in Saudi Arabia or other Middle Eastern countries. Time we woke up here and stopped denying there is a significant minority who think this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " One in nine (11%) British Muslims feel sympathetic towards people who want to fight against western interests while 85% do not."

You're supposed to ignore the 85%, don't you know the rules ?
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're supposed to ignore the 85%, don't you know the rules ?

The fact that anyone at all shows sympathy is unbelievable. Would people defend Nazi sympathisers as much?. I doubt it!.