How do people cope with dogs?

AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You have to take them out for two walks a day. Most breeds about two hours in total.

You can't go out for a day trip where the dog is not allowed, because the dog will get depressed and rip up the cushions.

Your dog might bite a small annoying child one day or eat something that will kill them. You have to stay alert otherwise your dog will die.

When you travel abroad you have to ask someone else to deal with all of the above.

Seriously, how do people cope??

Comments

• LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    You have to take them out for two walks a day. Most breeds about two hours in total.

You can't go out for a day trip where the dog is not allowed, because the dog will get depressed and rip up the cushions.

Your dog might bite a small annoying child one day or eat something that will kill them. You have to stay alert otherwise your dog will die.

When you travel abroad you have to ask someone else to deal with all of the above.

Get used to walking and don't go out?
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Get used to walking and don't go out?

It does not sound ideal.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Actually, Annie, you can take your dog abroad with you.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Actually, Annie, you can take your dog abroad with you.

Wouldn't some countries quarantine them for a while to make sure they are not carrying diseases???
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder how people cope with having children......much rather have a dog.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus, what kind of dogs have you had Annie? :o:D

Easy for me as mine are small and they don't rip the house apart (or people's faces off). Plus the activities I enjoy allow the dogs to come along. If I go away, which is not often, they go into kennels and they love it or they stay at home if someone's still there (I'm away on a trip just now but they're at home with my husband). No hassle at all.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Same as you do with anything in life you make time.

My girl is left by herself for the entire day 2 days a week as the OH is at uni and I work full time. We leave her with treats, toys and a puzzle ball to occupy her and the balcony door open for her to come and go as she pleases and she doesn't destroy anything.

She is loved, happy and content and is a massive part of our home. It wouldn't be the same without her.

She gets a long walk once a day and at weekends is taken to the fields and park to go wild. However at home she is played with tug games, she's loves being chased and chasing my OH and the 2 of them play hide and seek.

If it's something you really want in your life you'll find the time.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're a cat person then .....
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Millions of people cope all of the time. so not as hard as you seem to think,
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't some countries quarantine them for a while to make sure they are not carrying diseases???

Outside the EU some will , inside the EU we were the last to do that for EU countries and selected others to bring us in line with EU legislation in 2011

As for coping with dogs, well if you take on a pet you are taking on to an extent another member of the family who needs to be fed, walked, look after etc etc , most people realise that though too many don't , if a person is not prepared to make sacrifices at times and to make sure they give the best care to their pet then they shouldn't get one . Unlike kids pets will always need care and cannot learn to do things for themselves. it is a long (but pleasant) commitment.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my dog has four walks a day of varying lengths. You get used to it, I plan around the dog. the pleasure of having a dog and the company over rides everything else.
  • St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the purpose of a dog is to show you how wonderful having a dog is
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog most days gets three walks a day. He goes out first thing in the morning, then when I get home he gets taken on a longer one and one last thing at night. He's just been now which was not such fun as it is cold and raining. He hates the rain but I just stick a coat on him.

The best thing about having a dog, especially a small one is having them cuddle up on the bed with you at night. That's the best bit.

He doesn't rip the house up either, even if he gets left in on his own for a while. I hate leaving him but he sort of sleeps.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know. I've got a cat who takes herself out for a walk, and doesn't need constant attention/emotional support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a dog but work 12 hour shifts :(
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog most days gets three walks a day. He goes out first thing in the morning, then when I get home he gets taken on a longer one and one last thing at night. He's just been now which was not such fun as it is cold and raining. He hates the rain but I just stick a coat on him.

The best thing about having a dog, especially a small one is having them cuddle up on the bed with you at night. That's the best bit.

He doesn't rip the house up either, even if he gets left in on his own for a while. I hate leaving him but he sort of sleeps.

yeah mine has never destroyed anything but her toys.

I filmed her once when I went out and she basically sleeps, eats and plays then sleeps some more :D
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your dog might bite a small annoying child one day
    Good! Small annoying children should be bitten, regularly. So should the large annoying parents responsible for bringing up the small annoying child. Clearly there's some dereliction of duty on their part. In fact I think there should be a reward that recognises the valuable community service that regular chomping on useless parents could provide.
    or eat something that will kill them.
    What, you mean the small annoying children again? Well my position is clear (see above), but I'm a little worried about you and your desire to kill small children. You're not yet a parent, I take it?
    Yes, someone else will have to take over the responsibility for directing the dog to gnash on annoying children and their parents. Oh it's a tough world. I can see the problem. How does one pick from all the applicants? The only solution is to have more holidays..... well it's only fair really, isn't it ;-)
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    My kids would absolutely love a dog but it is not for me. I have compromised by 'borrowing' my friend's dog occasionally. The only part i enjoy is taking her out for walks, I don't enjoy her wanting to cuddle into me or follow me around the house all the time......guess I am not really a dog person.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm allergic to dogs so I couldn't cope with one for a 5 minutes. I start sneezing and eyes watering as soon as I enter a house which has a dog.

I don't like cats either but at least I can tolerate being in the same room as one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I don't know. I've got a cat who takes herself out for a walk, and doesn't need constant attention/emotional support.

I have two cats, a toddler and a very high energy six year old boy.

I have always liked the idea of a dog, but it seems a crazy idea now I am settled and could actually look after one properly. I do not have enough hours in the day as it is, so dedicating one of them every day for walkies seems virtually impossible.

Maybe one day. In the meantime, the cats give me cuddles at night, which is apparently the best part of having a dog anyway.

Cats win!!
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I do like cats there's something about the unconditional love of a dog that is just one of the best feelings. No matter what kind of a day I have had, my dog is always pleased to see me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I do like cats there's something about the unconditional love of a dog that is just one of the best feelings. No matter what kind of a day I have had, my dog is always pleased to see me.

Cats love us too but they are less obvious about it.

I would love to have a dog one day but then again they have such short lives and I am not sure I could cope with the goodbyes.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two dogs and none of that has ever been an issue. In fact, now that they're older and don't need as much exercise, I actually miss out with them. We used to do around seven miles a day. They've never been destructive, go on holiday with us or stay at my mums.

The OP sounds incredibly lazy tbh, there's solutions to all of the points if you want there to be.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    That's a bonus for me. I also get exercise that I probably wouldn't get otherwise.
    Two hours every single walk isn't neccesary for my dogs, but on longer walks I take my camera. While they're snuffling round the bushes, etc. I indulge in a bit of landscape/nature/or macro photography
    Neither of mine destroy soft furnishings, and because they keep each other company, we can go out for a few hours now and then, with no separation anxiety from the dogs.
    Your dog might bite a small annoying child one day....
    Mine aren't aggressive towards people either, in fact if anything, they're a little too friendly - and thanks to my grandchildren, they're both used to boistrous children, and love the attention.
    ...or eat something that will kill them.
    Watching they don't eat anything undesirable isn't that much of a chore.
    Boarding Kennels - don't go - or get a pet passport and take them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I have two dogs and none of that has ever been an issue. In fact, now that they're older and don't need as much exercise, I actually miss out with them. We used to do around seven miles a day. They've never been destructive, go on holiday with us or stay at my mums.

The OP sounds incredibly lazy tbh, there's solutions to all of the points if you want there to be.

Why do I sound incredibly lazy?

I run my own business and have two young children. I often have to work until 10 pm because I spend all day looking after the kids and can't work then. A dog would be lovely and get us out in the countryside but I struggle to see when we would go in dark winter months and when it rains.

We know some people who could look after the dog while we were away in the USA but they work full time. Not ideal for a dog to be left at home all day.

We like to go for day trips where we will be out all day, eight hours. It is not fair to leave a dog alone all that time and then you have to walk them when you get home, when you are tired. We could drop them off with a friend, but we hate imposing on people and it would add complications onto a busy day.

So why am I incredibly lazy?

I think we are a fairly normal family and dogs are one of the most popular pets. It just got me wondering how it works for people.