Marvel's Ant-Man

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer looked pretty funny. Ant-Man is one of the few Marvel Characters I'm not clear with. Does he only get his super strength from the suit, and only when small? I'm not sure I understand how he'd get on with The Avengers in Infinity War if that is the case.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I'm sure that Marvel will find a way to fit Ant Man into Avengers Infinity War as by that point Marvel will have a lot of Characters to fit into the two part films!

Not long now until Ant Man is released as its only a few months but it doesn't seem that Marvel are hyping it like they did with Avengers Age Of Ultron
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 6-minute preview of Ant-Man will debut in front of Jurassic World this weekend - on IMAX screens only.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-_ObfXlgc
    Forum Member
    Well it's just over a month till Ant Man is released and I'm looking forward to watching it but I am worried about how it will do with the general public.I think this might be the first Marvel flop but I hope I'm wrong!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well it's just over a month till Ant Man is released and I'm looking forward to watching it but I am worried about how it will do with the general public.I think this might be the first Marvel flop but I hope I'm wrong!

Lot of peeps were saying that about Guardians before it came out!

I think Ant-Man will go the same way - Another crossover hit.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Flop? Nobody is expecting this to do Avengers business, but there is something of a question mark as to how it'll do. Marvel's question mark release last year was Guardians, and that did $774m - way beyond many expectations, but then the film took many by surprise.

I gather Ant-Man will be doing a touch more modestly - somewhere between $500m - $600m, which is still a big hit of course. The latest US ad campaign does push the Avengers connection pretty strongly:

http://www.impawards.com/2015/ant_man_ver5.html

Unless Iron Man is actually in it, this maybe skirts misleading.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CamCam wrote: »
    The trailer looked pretty funny. Ant-Man is one of the few Marvel Characters I'm not clear with. Does he only get his super strength from the suit, and only when small? I'm not sure I understand how he'd get on with The Avengers in Infinity War if that is the case.
    In the comics he can also grow really big (Giant Man) but I doubt they'll showcase this ability in the first movie.

Besides, being small could be a huge advantage. I want to see him riding one of Hawkeye's arrows.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the second trailer when I saw San Andreas and it still really does nothing for me.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Flop? Nobody is expecting this to do Avengers business, but there is something of a question mark as to how it'll do. Marvel's question mark release last year was Guardians, and that did $774m - way beyond many expectations, but then the film took many by surprise.

I gather Ant-Man will be doing a touch more modestly - somewhere between $500m - $600m, which is still a big hit of course. The latest US ad campaign does push the Avengers connection pretty strongly:

http://www.impawards.com/2015/ant_man_ver5.html

Unless Iron Man is actually in it, this maybe skirts misleading.

Those posters are very good. The shield and hammer ones are excellent too.

I agree with your prediction. 500m - 600m seems about right.
    Forum Member
    That to me is a flop in Marvel terms as it has not made as much money as previous Marvel films.So it's a Marvel flop then!
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Those posters are very good. The shield and hammer ones are excellent too.
    They are very eye-catching, but also playing the 'by association' card a little too much. They don't really tell us what Ant-Man has to offer of itself. For its core audience it probably doesn't need to of course, but what of the wider general audience?
    That to me is a flop in Marvel terms as it has not made as much money as previous Marvel films.So it's a Marvel flop then!
    Perhaps so these days, but before Avengers Assemble cranked up the numbers the likes of Thor ($449m) Captain America; TFA ($371m) and The Incredible Hulk ($263m) were also more modest hits.

edit: Perhaps so? Nah, $500m - $600m is still a good figure.
    Forum Member
    But these figures are just estimates for what Ant Man will make at the box office and I'm not even sure if it will make that much!

I want to proven wrong but not even Marvel fans seem to be excited about Ant Man as everybody seems more concerned with Civil War

If it does make that money though I think it will be more down to the lack of big blockbusters this summer than anything else!
    Forum Member
    But these figures are just estimates for what Ant Man will make at the box office and I'm not even sure if it will make that much!

I want to proven wrong but not even Marvel fans seem to be excited about Ant Man as everybody seems more concerned with Civil War

If it does make that money though I think it will be more down to the lack of big blockbusters this summer than anything else!

But Guardians of the Galaxy made $775m at the box office and that film is held in very high regard and considered a major success.

So if Antman makes $600m, surely that can't be regarded as a flop. And I know we're only guessing and you don't think it will hit that number, but if it was to make $600m, that would be fantastic.

Thor: The Dark World only made ~$650m and The Winter Soldier made about ~$750m and those are both sequels with already established characters. While people felt Thor 2 was disappointing, it wasn't considered a flop. And like Guardians, TWS was considered very successful and some considered it to be the MCUs best film, but it still only made ~$150m more than what I think Antman will do.

I think you're been harsh on poor Antman. But heading into Phase 3 of the films there's a lot more risk involved than there was with Phase 2. Between Dr Strange, Capt Marvel and Inhumans, there's definitely more scope for one of them to flop.
    Forum Member
    I don't know where these numbers have come from as I only said that it might be Marvel first flop

Since that comment other posters have mentioned numbers made at the box office by previous Marvel films.I then agreed with another poster that $500m to $600m would be a Marvel flop in current terms

Other posters may not believe this but I actually want this film to be a success as I'm currently reading the comic.The trailer seemed to get a good reaction when shown before Jurassic World which I saw today!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given Age of Ultron has not done quite as well critically or commercially as the first film I wonder if MCU fatigue is setting in with audiences.

Even allowing for reduced expectations anything under $200 million US or $500 million worldwide will be seen as a disappointment.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What IS this peculiar obsession with numbers/money/box office???

How does this change/affect your enjoyment (or not) of a movie?

And why the similar obsession with predicting numbers?

Need I remind people about those vastly over-opinionated 'experts' and pundits who predicted that GOTG would flop badly?

Guys...Hollywood spends millions on analysing trends, formula's, audience demographics, feedback etc...and it still can't predict what will or will not be a hit.

It's only a movie...yeah? ;-)
    Forum Member

Need I remind people about those vastly over-opinionated 'experts' and pundits who predicted that GOTG would flop badly?

Guys...Hollywood spends millions on analysing trends, formula's, audience demographics, feedback etc...and it still can't predict what will or will not be a hit.

It's only a movie...yeah? ;-)

Predicting box office results is more of a game, than a way of deciding what films to go see.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Basically a film is a flop when the film's gate receipts don't exceed its budget.

However the likes of The Loan Ranger had a budget of $215m but generated $260m in gate receipts so was profitable financially but regarded as a flop.

Some film experts or aficionados believe the measure is home gate receipts versus budget. The Loan Ranger failed to exceed $215m in U.S. gate receipts so was a flop.

Furthermore they expect gate receipt to budget ratio to exceed x2.5 to be deemed a success and avoid the tag of being a flop or the film bombing at the cinema. In truth most distributors and producers include DVD sales to boost the status of a film.

I expect Ant a Man to exceed the ratio but it's ratio to be less than most Marvel films, especially with the bar set with Avengers etc.
    Forum Member

Doesn't seem that perculiar to me. A very important aspect if you're interested in the industry side of things.

Not in the slightest whilst watching. After that though, if a film we enjoy has done good business, I suppose it's nice to know a certain number of others have presumably enjoyed it too. You can probably figure out the rest of the hit/flop like/dislike equations from here.

Just a bit of fun. And it's a bit like horse racing - what else is running? what's its form like etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ant-Man has screened for select press and the general consensus is don't worry, it's not the disaster you thought it's going to be. It might not do Avengers numbers, but it's no turkey.

A lot of people were expecting to hate it, but overall word is positive and that the film's good and a change of pace for Marvel - it's a heist movie. The key words i'm hearing is it's human, intimate, has heart and most of all entertaining with creative and inventive set-pieces (thanks to EW?). Edgar Wright is credited.

There are 2 post credit scenes - BIG thumbs up.

Either way another winner for Marvel it seems. They know what they're doing.
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's most of what I expected from Ant Man for it to be an average Marvel film

Sounds like it's nothing special but just adequate film in the MCU.I had hoped it might surprise me and be better than that but it doesn't sound like that

It's nice to hear about the post credit scenes although this film is the link between Phase 2 to Phase 3 so it's to be expected!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's most of what I expected from Ant Man for it to be an average Marvel film

It's better than average. It's going to surprise people at how good it actually is.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member

Sounds like it's nothing special but just adequate film in the MCU. I had hoped it might surprise me and be better than that but it doesn't sound like that
    !

Have you read the articles about the response to the initial press-screening.? People are not calling it just "an average film" - the reactions have been very,very positive.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read the articles about the response to the initial press-screening.? People are not calling it just "an average film" - the reactions have been very,very positive.

Yep, including James Gunn of that risky property 'Guardians' is a fan.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/james-gunn-ant-man-review

Also confirmed, a mid and post credit scene (both of which aren't pointless, like IM3 etc.)

http://io9.com/ant-man-has-two-credits-scenes-for-fans-to-speculate-ab-1714089803
    Forum Member
    Well I'm glad to here that it's getting positive reaction however let's wait until it until it's screened for more of the general media.

As I've stated before I hope this film does well but I was just really worried that it wouldn't do that well

As long as it's not as bad as Iron Man 3 then I will be happy!